Tramping at its best!

0830 start - 1700 finish and Toby carvery and a pint of doom bar to wash it down.
It’s not all doom and gloom y’know!

But typical lorry driver’s mindset that thinks he’s on a cushy day worthy of mention despite the fact that he’s been “at work” for over eight hours …

What, sleep in a tin box/■■■■ soaked layby/unpaid watchman blah, blah, blah.

I’ve tramped for 30 years mate, it can be as enjoyable or as much of an ordeal as you make it out to be. Have a good night bud. :smiley:

Roymondo:
But typical lorry driver’s mindset that thinks he’s on a cushy day worthy of mention despite the fact that he’s been “at work” for over eight hours …

Very dark attitude that, long before I was driving for a living I worked in retail and I cannot remember one shift where I finished in less than 12 hours. It’s not just as drivers that we work long hours. It’s in masses of industries.
My point was merely that, given the outlook of many drivers, is that the job doesn’t have to be soul crushing. I just wish that people could see that the job isn’t necessarily the worst of all the options.

the maoster:
What, sleep in a tin box/■■■■ soaked layby/unpaid watchman blah, blah, blah.

I’ve tramped for 30 years mate, it can be as enjoyable or as much of an ordeal as you make it out to be. Have a good night bud. :smiley:

Trust me mate. Even though I’ve only been at it a fraction of the time you have, I learned very early on that it doesn’t have to be a torturous activity. I just hope that others learn the same lesson and become less morose about their working lives

Chunkzilla:

Roymondo:

Very dark attitude that, long before I was driving for a living I worked in retail and I cannot remember one shift where I finished in less than 12 hours. It’s not just as drivers that we work long hours. It’s in masses of industries.
My point was merely that, given the outlook of many drivers, is that the job doesn’t have to be soul crushing. I just wish that people could see that the job isn’t necessarily the worst of all the options.

I work in catering. Only an 8 hour day is a godsend haha. Can’t wait to be in the driving seat of a lorry instead.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

Chunkzilla:

Roymondo:

I work in catering. Only an 8 hour day is a godsend haha. Can’t wait to be in the driving seat of a lorry instead.

I always heard that the catering industry was long, arduous hours?
You will be in the fold soon enough mate and I hope that it’s the right move for you

Roymondo:

done plenty of non-driving jobs where an 8 hour day was more tiring and dragged more than a normal shift as a truck driver. And if Chunkzilla had been doing a normal job with normal hours, he’d still have to spend time getting to and from work to add on top of the 8.5 hour day.

muckles:

Roymondo:

done plenty of non-driving jobs where an 8 hour day was more tiring and dragged more than a normal shift as a truck driver. And if Chunkzilla had been doing a normal job with normal hours, he’d still have to spend time getting to and from work to add on top of the 8.5 hour day.

Great point Muckles!
Say I commuted 30 minutes each way, that makes the aforementioned 8 hour shift a 9 hour shift in reality. Thus my day was 30 minutes shorter

muckles:

Roymondo:

I have a driving job - most of my days are around the 8 hour mark. I certainly wouldn’t regard it as noteworthy if I had an 8.5 hour day! Only been in the driving game for 11 years or so though.

Chunkzilla:

IronEddie:

Chunkzilla:

Roymondo:

I always heard that the catering industry was long, arduous hours?
You will be in the fold soon enough mate and I hope that it’s the right move for you

It is long arduous hours. Though I get away with it a little bit as I work a restaurant that’s in a department store. So less late nights. But still I work long enough that an 8 hour shift when it happens feels like a holiday.

Lorry driving definitely the right move. Already used to long days. I enjoy driving in general. Like being out n about. And even the worst paid driving I’ve seen is significantly more than I currently earn.

muckles:

Roymondo:

I have 5 weeks left in retail and agree 12 is normal. I have transferred back but at 1 stage was doing that with 2.5-3 hours of commuting. I think a few who keep suggesting stacking shelves at aldi would get a shock if they did

Roymondo:

muckles:

Roymondo:

I have a driving job - most of my days are around the 8 hour mark. I certainly wouldn’t regard it as noteworthy if I had an 8.5 hour day! Only been in the driving game for 11 years or so though.

I probably wouldn’t of bothered posting either, However the the bloke is feeling good, he’s had a good day and wanted to share it with us, bit like a facebook status. And it makes a nice change from yet another driver moaning about this and that.

Roymondo:

muckles:

Roymondo:

To be fair there is nothing of note about my day, it was more a point about the fact that I’ve made the tramping lifestyle comfortable, by making the job work for me. As so many people in this job believe that you have to 70+ hours and park in unsuitable locations.

muckles:

Roymondo:

muckles:

Roymondo:

I probably wouldn’t of bothered posting either, However the the bloke is feeling good, he’s had a good day and wanted to share it with us, bit like a facebook status. And it makes a nice change from yet another driver moaning about this and that.

Exactly why I shared this. So many idiots and trolls pointing out every single negative aspect, I thought why not point out that the job can be made better with a bit of mindfulness and luck. I don’t normally post these sort of things either. And can have days where I wish I’d chosen a different profession. But the job is what you make it.

I’ve struggled to get through 8hrs flat out on the sofa, with a couple of answering the door moments in between, to allow a carpet fitter and the guy fitting the burglar alarm through the door to do their stuff at the house. I wouldn’t have minded but the carpet fitter was late, otherwise I’d have been sat in Wetherspoon’s eating a curry by 1pm :laughing:

You have done 8.5 hours today and are so pleased about it you have had to post about it, so how many hours have you worked this week and last week

mac12:
You have done 8.5 hours today and are so pleased about it you have had to post about it, so how many hours have you worked this week and last week

God this site is full of cynics!
The longest stretch over the last month has been 13.5 hours! I don’t work mega hours and I’m not overly pleased by having an easy day, it’s rare I have a hard day.

This post, as I have previously stated, wasn’t to brag, but to show that life on the road doesn’t have to be drudgery ffs.

Chunkzilla:

mac12:

The longest stretch over the last month has been 13.5 hours! I don’t work mega hours and I’m not overly pleased by having an easy day, it’s rare I have a hard day.

This post, as I have previously stated, wasn’t to brag, but to show that life on the road doesn’t have to be drudgery ffs.

Full of sad old clowns who do day shift on the agency and like to attempt to mock real drivers.

Don’t let these twisted old wannabes get you down, it’s always good to hear of someone else enjoying job and doing it the proper way.

I’m parked up in a nice quiet corner having a pint. Of milk, since I forgot tea bags :laughing:

A.

Chunkzilla:

mac12:

It’s nice as someone getting into this industry to read positive posts. So thanks.