Tramping and Cab-Hopping

Hi everyone,

I could do with some advice about my situation, regarding tramping and cab-hopping. I’ve not been in my new job very long, but I can’t help but think that the firm’s policy on cab-hopping is quite questionable.

Naturally, I assumed that being a tramper, doing four nights-out per week, I would of course get my own truck. The drivers in the tanker and general haulage divisions in my firm all get their own trucks, whether they be day men or trampers, so I presumed I would be on the list for one. I’m on fridges, and I had a few weeks of having a different truck every week, simply thinking I was waiting for one, and then I collared a planner, to ask when I’d get my own truck, and he replied “You don’t get your own truck, it’s just pot luck what you get, different truck every week, it’s just the way the job is”. When I collared the foreman who interviewed me, I informed him that I was enjoying the job, but I’m getting extremely frustrated with all of the cab-hopping, to which he replied; "Ah, it’s just the way this job is I’m afraid. So there it is, every driver in the firm I work for gets their own truck, except if you’re a tramper on the fridges, then you don’t. What? The foreman clearly didn’t give a toss, even though he’s a nice bloke, he was clearly chuffed to get himself another driver and make his job a bit easier.

I think the firm’s fridge division is moving away from using trampers, and wants a 24/7 operation, consisting of just day and night men. The timing is always tight, so when you get back to your base, there is always a night man or agency driver waiting for your truck. Lugging-out all of your gear when someone’s waiting for the truck really isn’t nice.

Two months in, I’m still cab-hopping, getting a different truck every week, and doing 3-4 nights-out per week. I can’t help but feel that it’s really difficult to feel comfortable, and when you’re spending so much time away from home, you deserve somewhere you can call home. Is that too much to ask?

Also, at the start, I was doing four nights-out per week, but as of late they’ve been running me in after two or three days, purely so they can have the truck for a night run. Then, the next day, they give me another truck, and want me to have a night-out in it. They’ve taken on two more night men, without getting more trucks, they’ve started running-in trampers early, so they can get bums on seats in the night-time. So it’s starting to be pretty much two nights-out in truck A, a night at home, and then a night-out in truck B. It’s very frustrating, especially constantly moving your stuff in and out of trucks, often in the middle of the week.

I feel like I’m just a spare part when I’m in a different truck every week, and like I can’t get settled, you can’t put any of your creature comforts in. Well, you could do, but then you only have to strip them all out again at the end of the shift, usually when there’s a night man or agency driver stood waiting for the truck, tapping his watch. Still, I have to sling five days worth of gear into my hatchback, bedding included, setting-up and taking-down camp maybe twice a week.

Does anyone else feel that my firms practice of trampers constantly cab-hopping is out of order, especially doing nights-out in two different trucks per week, or am I being nesh? Is it “just the way it is”? Or is it the worst tramping job ever, and I need to run, Forrest, run very quickly?

There is also, as far as I’m concerned…

A health issue when cab hopping. It’s only a matter of time before you end up with a scorching case of scabies or some other little nasty that lurks in smelly bunks. If you checked into a hotel and the sheets hadn’t been changed you’d be back down to reception two stairs at a time.

If you’re getting stressed, I’d say leave but it’s never quite as easy as that is it.

I assume this is Mr Stobart you drive for? If it is, you’re just a tiny little cog in a very large machine. Clearly the planners don’t give a monkey’s about you. Seems the road foreman aint much cop either.

At my place the only time your in a different truck is either Mot time service/6weekly or VOR
Other wise same truck all Time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d look for a new job if I were you. I know some will say you just have to ■■■■ it up but in my opinion tramping can be make or break truck wise. Having a truck you’re in every week does make a huge difference to comfort levels imo

At NR Evans it was 2 person to a truck you had it for 4 (3 nights) and the other driver had it for 4…

Only problem was my oppo stunk to high heaven and the seat smelt like dirty sweaty arse no matter how much fabreeze or anti bac spray I attacked it with… :imp:

I will never do 4 on 4 off ever again, out all week or days/nights and that’s it…

I have my own motor bud, but it’s a fact of life that it gets used by day and night men when I’m off. I do 5 shifts in it, and then it could potentially have five different day and night men in it, fair enough, they don’t sleep in it, but I’m sure a good few of them dive on the bed while they’re being tipped or tossing it off.

I take absolutely everything of mine out of it when I finish for the week, it’s a ballache, but it’s the only way I can guarantee still owning it, or it still being fit to use when I start back. I’d go absolutely mental if I’d left my stuff in it, and I started my week finding out some other guy had ended up stuck down the road in it, which could potentially take a couple of days for me to get it back. Not that that has happened many times, but it could. They’ve even made sure my new motor has been allocated a service time when I’m off, obviously MOT time will be different. But it’s still my home for the working week, and I like it just so, and I get paid while I’m ■■■■■■■ my gear in and out of it at the start and end of my shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel privileged after reading this.I’m a day man,allocated my own vehicle.When i’m not at work it’s parked up which means nights,weekends and when i’m on holiday.

Oh Christ, I never thought about the dirty bunks, and it makes your skin crawl thinking how many different drivers your seat sees every week. Shame you can’t get compo for catching crabs! :frowning: Funnily enough, it’s not the red and green firm I work for, I’m an ex-employee of those though. :wink:

That’s the way I feel Luke, my job before last was tramping, and you got the same truck every shift. Even though I never left anything in it (of any value), it was still comforting to know you had a bit of a bond with it. The firm’s asking for tanker and general haulage drivers out of my depot, I’m going to enquire.

I completely agree that trucks have to make money Paul, and that they will go out on your days off, but I just get the impression that the firm’s taking liberties in this instance, and the management don’t appreciate what tramping entails. I have though about that actually, leaving my stuff in it, to find-out that some agency driver has broken down hundreds of miles away the night before, and the planners wanting you to put a five-day shift in without a sat-nav or bedding.

No, ours is the worst tramping job. Might be out in any of the trucks, (though you might even, horror of horrors, drive a van :open_mouth: ). Might be double manning, might not. Might not be out all week, might not be home all week.

You don’t come to us for predictability. That make you feel any better, Rottie? :laughing:

As soon as you start 4 on, 4 off, you know the truck will be occupied the other 4 that you are off.
Fridges are the worst for it, as deliveries are 24/7.

If you like the company, try to move on another department, if not look for somewhere else.
My own truck would be the deal breaker if I was tramping, and probably even as a day driver.
I wouldn’t mind an old truck ( legal and reliable) which I could call my own.
I could clean it up to my standard and know that I don’t have to sit/sleep in someones else his dirt / smell.

I would change the job company, because you will loose sleep over it.
And your health is worth a lot more than the last penny, or the perfect job without the right situation.

This thread is giving me de ja vu. Is it Groundhog Day? :laughing:

You’ve done very well to put up with that for 2 months, move on!

I find it quite short sighted of companies not to allocate vehicles permanently to drivers. I appreciate that it is a tool merely to make money and as such the more it is utilised the better, but in my experience the majority of drivers will look after “their” motor better. They’ll keep it cleaner inside and out and more importantly will sort defects out quickly and develop a “feel” for when something is amiss with their regular steed and can save a fortune in preventative maintenance in that situation.

the maoster:
I find it quite short sighted of companies not to allocate vehicles permanently to drivers. I appreciate that it is a tool merely to make money and as such the more it is utilised the better, but in my experience the majority of drivers will look after “their” motor better. They’ll keep it cleaner inside and out and more importantly will sort defects out quickly and develop a “feel” for when something is amiss with their regular steed and can save a fortune in preventative maintenance in that situation.

Couldn’t agree more. I also think that trucks shouldn’t be given an age based life. Should be based on condition and mileage. I’d much rather have a donkey’s old decent motor, that is well cared for and maintained, than have some fleet spec bag of ■■■■■■■■ for 3 or 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just can’t, we mix the crews up because it saves people getting fed up of each other. We naturally send the newest motors the furthest and demote the oldest to just UK work. And we try to give everyone a turn at the foreign work. Ours stand around enough as it is, without buying another couple to act as ornaments.

In a different type job, yes. In ours, not a chance.

That would do my nut in mate, I reckon I would be away from it after the first week.
I like my own space with all my kit fixed in, it would take me ages to change over all the crap I carry, I tend to cover every potential eventuality when it comes to in cab kit.

Also my poofy curtains would get sooo dirty changing them from truck to truck every bloody week :smiley:

The last time I was told to switch trucks for a couple of days I told them it would take 3 - 4 hours to transfer everything to the other truck and as I have had this one from brand new for 2 years if the other was not spotless inside it wouldn’t happen. They changed their mind :laughing:

robroy:
That would do my nut in mate, I reckon I would be away from it after the first week.
I like my own space with all my kit fixed in, it would take me ages to change over all the crap I carry, I tend to cover every potential eventuality when it comes to in cab kit.

Also my poofy curtains would get sooo dirty changing them from truck to truck every bloody week :smiley:

You and your curtains :smiley:

the maoster:

correct! :grimacing: cab hopping = glorified valeter! :sunglasses:

Sorry but the only time I clear the cab of my personal gear is when I leave the company.