Trampers??

When I first came into this industry, (late 60s) most of the trampers I got to know worked for BRS. They were proper tramps!! often away for three weeks at a stretch. Even though I was occasionally weekended I never classed myself as a tramper. I was a journeyman, in ■■■■■■■■ Robsons etc, we were known as roamers. We had trunkers (day and night), shunters, and day men who literally went as far as you could and back in one day. BRS apart, the trampers I knew found there own work all over the UK, their gaffers left them to it most of the time. These men would cringe to think that the donkeys doing the job now have hijacked the much respected name they worked so hard to earn. Regards Kev. (Newly retired) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ah another of the every thing was better in my day brigade.
This donkey wishes you a happy and nostalgic retirement.

kevmac47:
When I first came into this industry, (late 60s) most of the trampers I got to know worked for BRS. They were proper tramps!! often away for three weeks at a stretch. Even though I was occasionally weekended I never classed myself as a tramper. I was a journeyman, in ■■■■■■■■ Robsons etc, we were known as roamers. We had trunkers (day and night), shunters, and day men who literally went as far as you could and back in one day. BRS apart, the trampers I knew found there own work all over the UK, their gaffers left them to it most of the time. These men would cringe to think that the donkeys doing the job now have hijacked the much respected name they worked so hard to earn. Regards Kev. (Newly retired) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I totally agree with you Kev.I think I am a bit older than you but still working,( not driving, wheel turning), the bloody things drive themselves now.
In the early 60’s,before I went continental,
I used to tramp with a atky borderer,Leaving sunday afternoon for wherever and getting home Friday night,I sorted my own loads out and I was paid a % of the rate over the flat rate of 5/6per hour,so the better the rate the better the wage.there was no tacho or digi-card,we ran to our body clock ,and there where far fewer accidents,We had a saying 10 minutes kip when you need it is better than 10 hours when you don’t
I have been trade plating since I was 65 and I drive every type of truck,I envy the comfort they have now but I do not envy the rules they have to stick to.Enjoy your retirement Kev, if you can hack it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

rocky 7:

kevmac47:

I totally agree with you Kev.I think I am a bit older than you but still working,( not driving, wheel turning), the bloody things drive themselves now.
In the early 60’s,before I went continental,
I used to tramp with a atky borderer,Leaving sunday afternoon for wherever and getting home Friday night,I sorted my own loads out and I was paid a % of the rate over the flat rate of 5/6per hour,so the better the rate the better the wage.there was no tacho or digi-card,we ran to our body clock ,and there where far fewer accidents,We had a saying 10 minutes kip when you need it is better than 10 hours when you don’t
I have been trade plating since I was 65 and I drive every type of truck,I envy the comfort they have now but I do not envy the rules they have to stick to.Enjoy your retirement Kev, if you can hack it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A lot of today’s drivers refer to their job as tramping. It is far removed from tramping as in the 1950’s ans 60’s when as Kev says drivers found their own work via contacts built up over the years and a little book and a phone box, or a friendly place where you had just tipped that let you use their phone.
Cheers Dave. A few months older than Kev. :laughing:

I agree Kev the word is thrown about too easy and sleeping over the bonnet with wooden planks on the door handles is well before my time and digs but for what i see now they should be called just tramps because some are real dirty ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: :unamused: enjoy your retirement Kev mate try to get all that derv out ov your blood so you dont come back for more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Plus now you and Dennis can be on line all the time trying to out do each other :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kevmac47:

Fairly well explained Kev and those of us of a certain age and experience will fully understand your explanation,although not so by some of to-days “steerers” who haven’t a clue what we are on about as they have to ask their “planner” when they want a ■■■■,and if the permission isn’t forthcoming quickly enough they will just ■■■■ themselves,literally,thats how contolled the job of to-days driver has become.They are now paid peanuts and treat like brain dead monkeys I’m ashamed to say :blush: .As you probably have gathered Kev I am no lover of BRS as IMHO they were a "dead hand " on the industry during their time as Hauliers ,the whole BRS eddifice was propped up by State subsidies,no question :frowning: .OK they were good employers from their drivers point of view but discount that element and they were allowed to operate only by been subsidised by the “good old” British taxpayer.Roamers is a fair description of those drivers/motors that left home on a Sunday and returned on a Friday or Saturday convienently loaded for the following week,your mention of Robsons is a fair description of a firm that embraced all the areas of a yesteryear haulage operation and they did have Shunters,Day men,Trunkers and Roamers,and not wishing to claim any “Brownie points” for Bewick Transport that was exactly how our fleet operated,albeit we weren’t the same size as Robsons but we operated on the same principals :sunglasses: Can I also wish you a long and happy retirement Kev :smiley: Regards Dennis.

I look on myself as a Tramper. I leave on a Monday, and follow the work around the country until Friday/Saturday. I know it’s not how it used to be when I used to go out as a kid with my Dad, but Tramping has a proud heritage and although the job has changed I am proud to follow (sort of) in my Old Man’s footsteps.
I have done day work, night work, night-out work and trunking on both general haulage (NOT ■■■■■■’ logistics!) and own-account work, but now I am a Tramper :smiley:
Trucks are easier to drive now, but the traffic is, possibly, getting harder to negotiate nowadays.
I’m only a young 'un compared to some on here at 49, but I’ve been driving trucks since I was 21 on and off - and don’t want to go back to kipping in a Merc 1617 day-rest cab with half a bunk and no storage thank you very much :wink:

This is a shot of one of the ERF’s operated by my old pal Curly Cargill,now this immaculate and well run operation fits exactly into the description of “Roamer”,they ran throughout the UK with a good proportion of their traffic between Scotland and S.Wales but otherwise to,and from,anywhere in the UK but always gathering up at their base at Hackthorpe on the A6(prior to moving onto Gillwilly at Penrith) pointing North or South (or often East) and all loaded,no empty running on this firm Wack ! :sunglasses:

BIG AW:
I agree Kev the word is thrown about too easy and sleeping over the bonnet with wooden planks on the door handles is well before my time and digs but for what i see now they should be called just tramps because some are real dirty [zb] :unamused: :unamused: enjoy your retirement Kev mate try to get all that derv out ov your blood so you dont come back for more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Plus now you and Dennis can be on line all the time trying to out do each other :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BINGO my work here is done. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

HI KEV. I started tramping in the mid 50s as a second man on an eight legger and trailer,like Dennis,ended up on BRS in 1964 day tramping with eight wheel Foden never new when i would get home,then onto night tramp then onto night trunk to Scotland enjoyed it all.Enjoy your retirement Kev and dont let anyone talk you back into work.I m 74 now and been retired 23years never ever considered going back.TED.

The drivers off these two firms knew all about tramping.

toxic gas man:
HI KEV. I started tramping in the mid 50s as a second man on an eight legger and trailer,like Dennis,ended up on BRS in 1964 day tramping with eight wheel Foden never new when i would get home,then onto night tramp then onto night trunk to Scotland enjoyed it all.Enjoy your retirement Kev and dont let anyone talk you back into work.I m 74 now and been retired 23years never ever considered going back.TED.

Thanks Ted, This is retirement second time around for me, I have no intention of working again . I might be tempted to a couple of weeks holiday relief next year but it will only be to pay for a holiday for myself and the bride. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

I was almost tempted into a bit of part time but when I worked out just how much it was going to cost to get all the requirements- digi-card, DCPC, licence renewal, ADR update- I’d have been working for nothing for a month or more.
I’ll stick to the allotment, I think!

Bewick:
This is a shot of one of the ERF’s operated by my old pal Curly Cargill,now this immaculate and well run operation fits exactly into the description of “Roamer”,they ran throughout the UK with a good proportion of their traffic between Scotland and S.Wales but otherwise to,and from,anywhere in the UK but always gathering up at their base at Hackthorpe on the A6(prior to moving onto Gillwilly at Penrith) pointing North or South (or often East) and all loaded,no empty running on this firm Wack ! :sunglasses:

They would come to Shotton sometimes . Are they still going . thank you Trevor

tastrucker:

Bewick:

They would come to Shotton sometimes . Are they still going . thank you Trevor

Sadly they are long gone and Curly has gone to the big workshop in the sky :frowning: but he ran a great outfit while he was operating,starting with an 8 wheeler in the late 50’s (I think?) then progressing onto a pair of artics in the mid '60’s and at one time running a fleet of about 14/15 ERF artics.Cheers Bewick.

I was a tramper with BRS Bedford in the 60s before coming to Western Australia. It was great when I was young and single, but at 72, I need a soft bed at night and a nana nap every arvo. I’m writing a series of stories about tramping at BRS for the CVRTC that is being published in their monthly newsletter. I have a vague memory that if you were away from home for more than 10 nights, BRS would give you the train fare home so you could have a bath. Does any other ex BRS driver remember if this is true?

BRS FH66:
I was a tramper with BRS Bedford in the 60s before coming to Western Australia. It was great when I was young and single, but at 72, I need a soft bed at night and a nana nap every arvo. I’m writing a series of stories about tramping at BRS for the CVRTC that is being published in their monthly newsletter. I have a vague memory that if you were away from home for more than 10 nights, BRS would give you the train fare home so you could have a bath. Does any other ex BRS driver remember if this is true?

If we had to leave the wagon away from home, weekended etc.(don’t know about 10 night rule ) we usually picked up a rail warrant card from the nearest depot normally where you had to leave it.

Trev_H:

BRS FH66:

If we had to leave the wagon away from home, weekended etc.(don’t know about 10 night rule ) we usually picked up a rail warrant card from the nearest depot normally where you had to leave it.

Now who said that BRS wern’t subsidised by the good old British tax payers :cry: Cheers Dennis.

When I was on Pickfords ( BRS ) in the 60s and 70s, after you had been away from home for 3 weeks they would bring you home if you requested it as you could be away for several months but this was mainly the big outfits. The boys from the Scottish depots were the ones who used it most due to the geographical location as I was based in the centre of the country we could usually get home easier under our own steam ( log sheets ) :laughing: . My old Ma always said there was no such word as carn’t and she was correct as I was on one job which was loading out of St, Chamond south west of Lyon and changing trailers in Southampton and back out again for around 3 months but I got home most weeks to see the wife and kids and the gaffer even popped in one Saturday night with some more running money for me. :wink:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Well said Dennis, But nowts changed has it, Tax payers are subsidising to-day, All these benefits that the government is paying out willy nilly to people who have never paid a penny in, It really ■■■■■■■ me off, The system stinks, The people who allow this to happen should have tried running a haulage business when we did, & even to-day haulage is still a hard game to be in IMO, Regards Larry.