training?

after reading alot of posts about experienced drivers looking for work ect what do the trainers on here think about the situation? the other day i was around shipley and bingley and I must of seen at least 15 training vehicles, this on top of that I live not too far away from leconfield barracks which is MOD driver training, you seem to see loads of their training vehicles around, what are the chances of these guys getting jobs?? ok army guys most will be ok but some I know are doing the training as part of resettlement and ready to leave the forces.

I felt sorry for the guys as they may be spending alot of cash and may not stand much chance of a job once qualified, with the 2 years exp as well??

should DSA hold back on issuing provincial for a while??

what do the trainers on here think about the situation?

I think that a few will still be fooled by the so called driver shortage and pay out lots of money to get a licence that they will hardly be able to utilise for the foreseeable future.

Those that can afford to pay between £2K & £3K and then have it doing nothing for them will be ok as they may be planning for the future when things pick up - whenever that will be…

A lot will research the maket and come to the realistic conclusion that it just aint worth it which wil have a knock on effect.

Training schools will downsize or go out of business unless they are going into the PDCPC thing.

My chances of securing employment will be less than zero :cry: :cry: - unless they introduce compulsory ongoing LGV driving assessments.

The DCPC will also put a lot off.

2014 when those in the industry decide that the PDCPC aint worth the hassle and leave, may create some new opportunities.

All in all, I think there will be a lot less LGV training vehicles around in years to come.

cheers rog

thats more or less what I was thinking,

I just feel sorry for any that may be fooled or don,t research it properly,
I was asked a couple of weeks back about who I trained with ect and cost, and wage once employed, the guy who asked me I knew had been made redundant from his previous building job, and had a young family, i did,nt want to burst his bubble as such but I told him as I saw it which was unless he had the money spare , not to do it as chances were slim that he would be easily employed,…

A bit pessimistic i’d say Rog. Unless there is to be some other way of distributing goods without trucks, there will always be a need for new drivers and therefore training schools. Granted at present there is a downturn in the number of trainees, but that can only be a temporary thing, due to the econimic climate at present.

I have spent most of the day researching PDCPC courses, of which there are many, and I have come to the conclusion that most smaller LGV/PCV training companies should not bother with PDCPC. They should concentrate on what they do best and that is licence aquisition, which will off course encompass the intital Driver CPC, with which they are in the main well equipped to provide.

By the way, from what I have found out most courses seem to be running out around £125 + vat for 7 hours periodic training and will take from 2 to 15 people on a course. It may of course be the case that smaller LGV/PCV training companies ‘buy in’ to existing courses and can probably therefore avoid centre and course registration fees, whilst being able to deliver the courses.