Training straight to class 1 (c+e)

2021 No. 1154
ROAD TRAFFIC

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations 2021
Madeat 9.20 a.m. on 18th October 2021
Laid before Parliamentat 1.00 p.m. on 18th October 2021
Coming into forceat 1.00 a.m. on 15th November 2021
The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 89(3)(1), (4)(2), (5)(3), and (5ZA)(4), 98(4)(5), 105(1), (2)(a)(6), (ee)(7), (f)(8) and (g), and (3), and 141(9) of the Road Traffic Act 1988(10) (“the 1988 Act”).

It’s in the public domain now. Provided it gets a clear run through parliament of course.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I’m definately with Pete (Ithink) when there is no problem from car to C+E in my book. I still dont want to waste time and money learning to drive a rigid when I need to pass in an arctic.
I passed my driving test in 1987 in a tiny 1.0L Nissan and was instantly allowed to drive a 3.5t up to 7.5t.

It doesnt makes sense as there has to be tens of thousands of current HGV license holders that have gone from car to HGV and I dont see or hear them in unison saying ‘no no no, thats too dangerous you cant do that’
I may be utterly wrong as I cant drive an arctic at the moment and plan to go for the license.
I need to pass that test and need every waking minute behind that wheel to do that. But, here is the hypocrocy of my view…I’ve done a fair bit of 7.5t tears ago and when I did drive the 44t on occasion it felt very much like the 7.5t, just a lot longer :laughing: stroll on 15th November…

The main difference is traffic and more idiots on roads compared to the 70’s n 80’s

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
The main difference is traffic and more idiots on roads compared to the 70’s n 80’s

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

Just a rant :
I think if the basic test actually had people sit in a classroom and look at examples of body language in traffic and how you can telegraph your intent without needing to indicate, people would be better drivers in general.

Too many people think you can just stay in your lane and trouble will avoid you because you’re not breaking the law, or that you can switch lanes as soon as your indicator is on, or that by indicating that parts the red sea for you to slot into.

And that way indication has more of a secondary purpose with the idea people know what they’re doing. At the end of the day, a good driver doesn’t rely on someones indication or lack of, to pull out ahead of them at a junction or roundabout, they rely on the body language of the cars movement, speed and road position more

Pete S:

2021 No. 1154
ROAD TRAFFIC

The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 89(3)(1), (4)(2), (5)(3), and (5ZA)(4), 98(4)(5), 105(1), (2)(a)(6), (ee)(7), (f)(8) and (g), and (3), and 141(9) of the Road Traffic Act 1988(10) (“the 1988 Act”).

It’s in the public domain now. Provided it gets a clear run through parliament of course.

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

Can you explain it though?
So it could be effective 15th November?
■■■■ that! My C test is 12th November! [emoji1787]

stu675:

Pete S:

2021 No. 1154
ROAD TRAFFIC

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

Can you explain it though?
So it could be effective 15th November?
[zb] that! My C test is 12th November! [emoji1787]

Yes, that’s exactly what I means. That’s if it doesn’t get held up in Parliament though

I cant fully explain cos I’m no expert on parliamentary procedure (though I know a lot more now than I did a few weeks ago!)

It says there is an implementation date of 15th November. My interpretation of that is that the legislation might be approved by then. But will the actual practicalities of making it happen be in place?

There are some issues that need to be sorted.

DVLA and DVSA have to overide the system to allow CE to be driven and tested on a C provisional. (For all I know, that might have already happened. But I have doubts.)

Trainers will not be able to simply swap candidates’ bookings from C to CE as many might wish. The reason is that the course for B to CE is going to be substantially longer than B to C.

The infrastructure to enable trainers to sign off the reversing exercise is still in the process of being built. There is also a matter of accrediting trainers to carry this out.

Trainers working alone (one man bands) will not be able to sign off their own candidates. So they will need to speak to each other and make arrangements. Alternatively, the candidate can still take the 3a test at the public test centre.

Good trainers will be carrying out inhouse training for their instructors - most of whom have never trained anyone B to CE. (I am already booked for this task for PSTT).

Some trainers will need to reconfigure their fleet. They may find they are “top heavy” with CAT C and not have the number of CE vehicles required.

There’s more. But the point I’m making is that nothing will suddenly happen overnight. No date is fixed - and there’s nothing to say that trainers will be able to respond immediately in any case. So my message for folks who have training booked is to carry on as planned. Administratively, many trainers will find these changes very difficult to deal with.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I have looked up the statutory Instrument, it is due to come into force on the 1 Nov 2021.

Citation, commencement and extent
1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2021.

(2) These Regulations come into force on 1st November 2021.

(3) These Regulations extend to England and Wales and Scotland.

So the Monday after next !

David DeHavilland:
I have looked up the statutory Instrument, it is due to come into force on the 1 Nov 2021.

Citation, commencement and extent
1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2021.

(2) These Regulations come into force on 1st November 2021.

(3) These Regulations extend to England and Wales and Scotland.

So the Monday after next !

I just received an UPDATE !

The new rules come into play on the 15th NOVEMBER.

If you have a provisional class C you will have to re-apply for a provisional Cat C+E provisional AFTER the 15th Nov 2021. I think this is ridiculous but it is clear.

Effectively you now have to wait until the 15th Nov to apply, if you apply before that date, you will have to re-apply again after that date. I cannot see any reason for a Cat C provisional to be upgraded to a class C+E automatically. Perhaps somebody thinks differently !

I cannot see any reason for a Cat C provisional to be upgraded to a class C+E automatically.

I cannot see why not either = simple computer input

ROG:

I cannot see any reason for a Cat C provisional to be upgraded to a class C+E automatically.

Tbh I have raised this point with my training provider.

My C test is 22nd November, so I have asked if I can just take a longer course and go straight to C+E and they said they couldn’t-which makes sense based on this info.

If the DVLA changed it so that all provisionals where updated surely that would save a lot of paperwork. I am now going to have to pass (hopefully) on the 22nd and then send my license off to be changed and wait before I go up to class C+E…instead of them auto changing them all and me being able to go straight into C+E.

Surely this should be done to take paperwork from the DVSA, who are the ones who are having so many problems at the moment!?!?!

When passing your Cat C, does your license get updated to include full Cat C plus provisional C+E?

bugger.lugs:
When passing your Cat C, does your license get updated to include full Cat C plus provisional C+E?

Yes thats what I have been informed and thats what is still the case for me. If they auto changed the provisional update I would be fine, but I will have to physically send my license away for my full C entitlement added and my provisional C+E.

Would save DVSA a bunch of work if they just amended it automatically - its not as if they have to change the cards anymore, its just a computer entry for crying out loud lol

To be fair, mine will be before the changes come in anyway. My Cat C test is next week so all being well I’ll have my license back before the changes.

That’s probably being far too optimistic though

bugger.lugs:
To be fair, mine will be before the changes come in anyway. My Cat C test is next week so all being well I’ll have my license back before the changes.

That’s probably being far too optimistic though

I wish I had your optimisim lmfao

Although when I sent away for my original provisional for C in September it only took 3 weeks.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I’m optimistic and hopeful because I can’t wait to get behind the wheel.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. You too!

ROG:

Hopefully you will be able to do it online so no waiting for the DVLA to process forms

bugger.lugs:
I’m optimistic and hopeful because I can’t wait to get behind the wheel.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. You too!

Yes me too :slight_smile: genuinely excited - but I think some of the more long term drivers on here may think we are slightly insane (or naive) lolol

1van:

ROG:

Hopefully you will be able to do it online so no waiting for the DVLA to process forms

Yes that would be the common sense approach … We shall see lol :slight_smile:

i start my class 1 training on the 15th so i’ll be having my test on the first week its been issued.

will be interesting to see how it goes and how the training company deals with the reversing and uncoupling aspect.