Training schools northamptonshire

hi, just come across this forum and would like to say its given me a lot of info i needed, can anyone recommend a good instuctor or school in northants :question:
ive just filled in my d2 form and am going to book my medical tommorow and have ordered my theroy test and hazard perseption cds. my current licence permits me to drive a 7.5t but i have never driven one. do all driving schools give you an assesment and dos any one know the rough cost of the assesment and training costs involved :confused: thanks,darmy

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome darmy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

Mike at Wiseknight has a good rep but there are plenty of others that way - have you tried using the SEARCH facility at the top of the page and putting in something like - LGV and TRAINING and NORTHANTS and NORTHAMPTON :question: :question:

darmy:
my current licence permits me to drive a 7.5t but i have never driven one. do all driving schools give you an assesment and dos any one know the rough cost of the assesment and training costs involved :confused: thanks,darmy

Any LGV school will give you an assessment if you want one but it will usually cost depending on how long you want and prices vary.

The general cost for LGV training is ABOUT £1,000.
I would suggest either 1 to 1 training for half days or better still, 2 to 1 training for full days if you like to learn at a leisurely pace.

darmy:
hi, just come across this forum and would like to say its given me a lot of info i needed, can anyone recommend a good instuctor or school in northants :question:
ive just filled in my d2 form and am going to book my medical tommorow and have ordered my theroy test and hazard perseption cds. my current licence permits me to drive a 7.5t but i have never driven one. do all driving schools give you an assesment and dos any one know the rough cost of the assesment and training costs involved :confused: thanks,darmy

Welcome Danny

Private Message has been sent to you.

:smiley: Hi darmy, WELCOME.:grimacing:

Mr 26 years is in your area, so you’ll soon be sorted. :wink:

Good luck to you mate.

thanks, for the quick replys :smiley: after i have done my training and hopefully passed :unamused: what would you say are my chances of finding weekend only work? reason i ask is ive got a young family and can not afford to give up my factory job as much as i hate it :exclamation:
my long term plan is to pass the test,find weekend work, move onto full time work once ive gained the experiance. the only thing that worries me is everyone says no one will give me work without the experiance :exclamation: but im willing to take the runs no one else wants to do as i know your got to start somewere. my idea was to approach the local firms (plenty in nothants) tell the what i want to do and see if any of them are willing to take me on after i pass my test or even before and let me drive 7.5t and then maybe if i get on with the firm ask them if i can move up class 2 :smiley: do you think this is the right way to approach it :question:

Finance Available from £11 a week.

Courses are now available through our training partners in Scotland and South Wales.

Following the news that ************ training has ceased trading from 1st February we are making arrangements to help ********** trainees that have been affected.

Please contact us on ************ to discuss the situation if you have been affected.

OMG !!! TRAINING partners ? Does this mean they have become the middleman

Some companies do some sterling work others are lacking in quality and need to stop ripping people off.

Word play is a wonderfull thing just like the small print

darmy:
thanks, for the quick replys :smiley: after i have done my training and hopefully passed :unamused: what would you say are my chances of finding weekend only work? reason i ask is ive got a young family and can not afford to give up my factory job as much as i hate it :exclamation:
my long term plan is to pass the test,find weekend work, move onto full time work once ive gained the experiance. the only thing that worries me is everyone says no one will give me work without the experiance :exclamation: but im willing to take the runs no one else wants to do as i know your got to start somewere. my idea was to approach the local firms (plenty in nothants) tell the what i want to do and see if any of them are willing to take me on after i pass my test or even before and let me drive 7.5t and then maybe if i get on with the firm ask them if i can move up class 2 :smiley: do you think this is the right way to approach it :question:

You MAY have a problem with your plan…
If you work Mon to Fri then you can only do one day every other weekend due to the weekly rest required under EU tacho regs and for every week that you drive under those regs between sunday midnight to sunday midnight a seperate tacho card must be filled out for each day you worked in your other job with your name, date ,start & finish time on it,
has that changed your game plan :question: :question:

hi rog, my full time job at present is as an machine op in a factory mon-fri 37.5hours, i thought this would not count towards my driving hours :question: all i wanted to do was drive sat or sunday then go to my factory job mon to friday then leave my factory job once i was sure driving was for me.

darmy:
hi rog, my full time job at present is as an machine op in a factory mon-fri 37.5hours, i thought this would not count towards my driving hours :question: all i wanted to do was drive sat or sunday then go to my factory job mon to friday then leave my factory job once i was sure driving was for me.

Unfortunately, it counts towards your working week when you come under EU regs so you would only be able to do one driving day per fortnight.

darmy:
…all i wanted to do was drive sat or sunday then go to my factory job mon to friday then leave my factory job once i was sure driving was for me.

That’s a fine plan mate, but as ROG says, you’ll need to watch your hours.

BTW, there’s a slight difference between “driving hours” and “working hours.” :wink:

IMHO, you still have a good plan, even though driver’s hours might not work out quite the way you thought.

I’d suggest that it might help if you have a trawl through the posts on the subject in THIS FORUM :smiley: