Training schools in West Yorkshire please?

I`ve just passed my medical, theory and hazard perception and I am looking at a driving school I did ring a few. Apex, Atkins and Tocksworth.

Apex was friendly and actually send me out the forms needed for the provisional without charging me for the postage but they also warned me of other schools. " theres a school in the area that we have a few unhappy leaners now learning with us so be careful" I said whats it called and he just mentioned it started with the same letter as his driving school.

I know tocksworth has good reviews but is a little pricey £1380 for 3 days . £1800 odd for 4 days. Sorry i forgot to mention this is for class 2 or C Rigid

I suspect I shouldn`t need the 4 days I drove a extra long wheelbase van for 2 years and also at my old work when the shunter was been lazy they let me pull ridges off and re- park them .

What im basically asking for, does anyone know of a reasonably priced training centre with good reviews? preferably in West Yorkshire although I would travel for a cheaper school.

Thanks guys.

Check out the recommended by members schools via the link in my signature below

Assessment will determine how long you will need

Check out the Peter Smythe LGV school that include the driver cpc

Give Paul a ring at Elmet Driver training , Sherburn in Elmet. Great guy

ROG:

I cant find any info on him ?

hood13222:

ROG:

I cant find any info on him ?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29860 - check out the signature

hood13222:
I`ve just passed my medical, theory and hazard perception and I am looking at a driving school I did ring a few. Apex, Atkins and Tocksworth.

Apex was friendly and actually send me out the forms needed for the provisional without charging me for the postage but they also warned me of other schools. " theres a school in the area that we have a few unhappy leaners now learning with us so be careful" I said whats it called and he just mentioned it started with the same letter as his driving school.

I know tocksworth has good reviews but is a little pricey £1380 for 3 days . £1800 odd for 4 days. Sorry i forgot to mention this is for class 2 or C Rigid

I suspect I shouldn`t need the 4 days I drove a extra long wheelbase van for 2 years and also at my old work when the shunter was been lazy they let me pull ridges off and re- park them .

What im basically asking for, does anyone know of a reasonably priced training centre with good reviews? preferably in West Yorkshire although I would travel for a cheaper school.

Thanks guys.

I’ve sent you a private message.

Phone Elmet Training mate - they had a crazy number of 1st time passes in a row recently.

hood13222:

I thought that - I’d done 7.5t driving and owned a LWB minibus. I’m not being patronising but it’s not quite as simple to step up as one would think, or at least, it wasn’t for me. Part of the problem was that I was convinced I should already be able to do this and wasted about 2 days proving that I couldn’t and really needed to listen to the instructor more carefully! Second problem was that vehicles with significantly bigger payloads need to be driven significantly more slowly and carefully. Consider that a 3.5t van has about a 1t payload, and a cat C license could have you driving a 4 axle 32 tonner with 15 tonnes or more of load. Takes a bit longer to stop!

Best of luck with your training.

hood13222:

Thanks guys.

I had been driving 7.5-tonners for years before I started my class 2 training with Wallace in London last year. I needed three days of training, one of which was mostly spent on the reversing manoeuvre. If you’ve not driven anything like that on the road then you’ll need at least that much time learning to drive a truck, since they are nearly four times as big as anything you’ve driven before – they’re wider, taller, longer, and you’re higher up off the ground. Nowadays it will have to be laden with large tubs of water, so they’ll be a lot heavier than your vans (and that will make it more expensive anyway). If the vehicle is a manual, chances are it will have an eight-speed gearbox and you’ll need to learn how to use them as you’ll have to switch ranges every time you pull away. So don’t think you can learn in two days unless it’s two whole days (most schools have four-hour lessons, or whole day with two learners to one instructor).

IndigoJo:

hood13222:

So don’t think you can learn in two days unless it’s two whole days (most schools have four-hour lessons, or whole day with two learners to one instructor).

I don’t entirely agree with the above.

I have recently trained drivers on the C category on a 12 hour training course including test and passed at their first attempt, this is done over 3 days.

This is why it’s a MUST to have a assessment drive to determine the course duration and this can also save the candidate money for training they don’t need.

Paul :smiley:

Our normal course is 14 hours 1:1 with outstanding pass success. And, with auto, it’s a doddle.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Elmet training highly recommemded just passed my c+e with him top bloke and you get what you pay for. I did my class C with L & T at fitzwilliam i did pass although i spent most of the 16 hours i payed for waiting about.

A Big thanks to Paul at Elmet Driver Training.

I passed my class 2 yesterday first attempt with Elmet Driver Training, he`s a great guy and I would highly recommend him. Hes very calm and makes you feel very relaxed. Pauls prices are very competitive and the cheapest I could find around. If your thinking about doing your class C or C+E do it with this guy.

I’m really pleased your speculative post worked out for you, we had a good few days together :smiley:

Thanks for recommending me.

Paul :smiley: :