Training schools central scotland

Finally saved for my class 1 been looking around driving schools. Had a wee read on other forums and have rules out dalkeith transport for obvious reasons but seen a few others in edinburgh/Livingston area and was wondering if anyone had used them and had feedback

gtg training
ctts training
scania driver training
richies training

will probably be doing it in Livingston but would consider further afield for the right company.

All have been recommended at some time in the last 6 years by members of this site because they are all on the recommended by members list in the LGV TRAINING TIPS link below in my signature

Did both class 1 and 2 with ritches,very good school as i passed first time with only a few faults

Also heard some good stuff about alex mcara training in perth its only an hour away and heard perths good for taking the test too

i passed both tesst with Alex McAra, cannot recommend him and his guys enough, well worth the extra travel if you are Edinburgh based, or get a BnB

Passed my class 1 first time with ctts in 2007. No complaints at all. Full size 16 speed artic was one of the main reasons i went with them plus only 5 minutes from home. Travelled a bit further for my class 2 the previous year, went with jim shanks in galashiels as it was one on one. Again past first time and no complaints.

I’ve done my 7.5t, class 2 and class 1 with Ritchies and passes all of them first time. If I was paying for any more training courses myself, I would only go to them. Not saying the other training providers are bad, but couldn’t really fault Ritchies when I used them.

I did my class 2 with Lagta and they met me everyday at the vosa test centre in livingston. everyone there I had dealings with and especially the instructor where excellent.

A driver I work with done there class 2 with gtg and had nothing but praise for them

Got to agree with stuartrobbie, Alex McAra and his lads do an excellent job.

Done both Class 2 and Class 1 with Scania at Newbridge. The Instructor Ian Shaw was a fantastic guy.

So many good replies. I quite like the idea of 1 on 1 I did that for my class 2 with happy hour but they no longer offer hgv, I know dalkeith do 1 on 1 but think cttc and alez mcara are 2 drivers. Also alex mcara doesnt take the ila…too many decisikns to make haha

pick up the phone and give the ones you are thinking about a call. Alex McAra is very approachable, he does do 2 drivers training if there are 2 drivers booked for it, you might get lucky and get 1 on 1, but if you go into the newbies forum you might find a lot of people like the ‘2 man’ system. I know when I was doing my class 1 I had some banter with the other trainee, we bounced off each other, learned from each others mistakes and it gave you an incentive to do well so you don’t look like an idiot. I still speak to the other trainee :smiley:

I done my class2 and CPC with ritchies and have no complaints. I done my class1 with highfield heavies and thought the training was excellent I would recomend them if you can travel to hillington.

I found LAGTA at Eurocentral very helpful in obtaining my CPC . If you need to train in the East LAGTA have a school at Loanhead .

Spoke to ctts they offer 1 on 1 training but are 200 more than gtg. Maybe worth it to get the training your most comfortable with though.

Class 1 booked ctts training 9-13 december 2013

I would have done your training for 500quid, would have went out on the monday for the week done all my drops and do the test on the friday. Bring the wagon back on friday afternoon nobody none the wiser :laughing:

Haha should have said earlier

just realised iv booked my test for Friday the 13th :confused:

edinburgh_newbie:
Haha should have said earlier

just realised iv booked my test for Friday the 13th :confused:

Don’t believe in that mumbo jumbo do you!!

Toddy:
Done both Class 2 and Class 1 with Scania at Newbridge. The Instructor Ian Shaw was a fantastic guy.

Done C and C+E with these guys, my instructor was Chris. Both are excellent guys and well recommended from a lot of different sources to me.

They also got new trucks around May this year and will give you a free assessment, but maybe aren’t the ‘cheapest’

Still keep in touch with them & I’m going to be using them for my ADR

Edit. You’ve already booked with CTTS, goodluck!