Training Plan?

I’m now finally in a position to apply for my provisional entitlement, so hopefully I’ll be booking a medical soon. As time and money are tight, I’ve started thinking what is the best order of training. Is it a good idea to get Mod’s 1, 2, & 4 done before trying to find the cash, and holiday hours to complete Mod 3? My thinking being Mod 3 being the expensive and time constrained module. I understand fragmented training isn’t recommended, and getting a full week off work in the next 6-8 months would be slightly more difficult than holding back the tide… :laughing:

I’d also appreciate someone clearing up my understanding of the CPC requirements. Do grandfather rights only apply to LGV license holders? I seem to recal reading as I passed cat B in 1989 ( or cat A as it was then), I can opt to do 35 hours instead of Mod’s 2 & 4. Is this correct? How would the costs compare? 35 hours completed at weekends, would be easie to fit around my current job!

All advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi pal, as you passed your car test in 1989 and an old git like me, you will have C1 entitlement on your licence and be able to do the periodic DCPC. It’s probably going to work out a bit more money, but you can’t fail it as there is no exam or test. Plus as you say, you can do the odd day here and there to build up the 35 hours (5x7hours).

You are probably better off doing your training and test in one block, and mine was 4 days spread over Friday, Saturday, Sunday and test on Monday. You say that money is tight, so I’d only commit to undertaking your training when you have it bit spare, as the pass rate is 54%. So you want to have the cash ready for a retest, and don’t want to leave it too long and get rusty. Also check out a few trainer, do assessment drives and find out all of their prices, including the retest fees. I say this because some people have posted that some trainers charge up to £500 for the retest, where other trainers will do a discounted rate for retests following training with them.

Best of luck pal!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I may opt for the periodic training route, being as old ■■■■. Finding 5 Saturday’s shouldn’t be an issue, if a local training centre offers this. Training over the weekend is the preferred option regarding time away from my current job, if it lasts much longer, but once again that may be influenced by local training centres. An added bonus being the roads will be a little quieter… :sunglasses:

Next steps need to be provisional and book a trial drive.

Where are you based?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Where are you based?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126565

SiAmon:
This is also my first post,…My big fear is the employment position isn’t too good in Northumberland

Maximum points to Rog for investigative skills. :laughing:

I have looked at you website Pete, and mentioned to the ‘real’ boss the possibility of a shopping weekend in Notts… :wink: Perhaps once I’m in a position to start Mod 3, I could drop you a line so we could discuss the options/ possibilities?

I’m still mulling over the idea of completing the Mod 1 tests locally, as soon as is practical, as two years should be more than sufficient time to organise Mod 3.

Am I correct in thinking Mod 3 training can accrue hours towards the 35 required for CPC?

SiAmon:

I have looked at you website Pete, and mentioned to the ‘real’ boss the possibility of a shopping weekend in Notts… :wink: Perhaps once I’m in a position to start Mod 3, I could drop you a line so we could discuss the options/ possibilities?

I’m still mulling over the idea of completing the Mod 1 tests locally, as soon as is practical, as two years should be more than sufficient time to organise Mod 3.

Am I correct in thinking Mod 3 training can accrue hours towards the 35 required for CPC?

You can generally get a day or maybe 2 days credit, but the key is that you must complete 7 hours of training in a 24 hour period. But that doesn’t have to be in one day. So you could do 4 hours training in the afternoon, another 4 hours the next morning, and this would count as a 7 hour (1 day) CPC credit. However, I’d also say that CPC credits got this way are almost as expensive as doing a days course. I think it’s about £50 compared to £80 for a real days training. Well I say real days training! :open_mouth: (But that’s another topic…)

Evil8Beezle:

SiAmon:

You can generally get a day or maybe 2 days credit, but the key is that you must complete 7 hours of training in a 24 hour period. But that doesn’t have to be in one day. So you could do 4 hours training in the afternoon, another 4 hours the next morning, and this would count as a 7 hour (1 day) CPC credit. However, I’d also say that CPC credits got this way are almost as expensive as doing a days course. I think it’s about £50 compared to £80 for a real days training. Well I say real days training! :open_mouth: (But that’s another topic…)

7 hours within 24 has been relaxed a little so doing 4 one morning and another 4 the next morning will also get 7 hours dcpc

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood the DVLA’s website, but hasn’t the deadline for acquired rights passed, enabling me to simply complete 35 hours training? I’ve had C1 on my license since passing my car test, but have never done any CPC. I did drive a 7.5 tonner many years ago, but that was long before CPC

Or would a new 5 year block simply start once I’d been issued with a CPC card after doing 35 hours?

The rule for split cpc training is that the second session has to start within 24 hours of the end of the first session.

And the shopping near me is epic (so my wife tells me!)

Once you have competed your 35 hours, then the clock starts ticking again and you have to complete another 35 hours within 5 years.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All your posts have been most helpful, and I’m very grateful for you taking the time to explain things simply enough for a mechanical guy to understand.

The only bit I still don’t get, is where do I hit it with the hammer… :laughing:

I passed my b test in 1991, I passed mod 1 and mod 3 and I am now 14 hours into the dcpc, I was given the choice of doing mods 2 and 4 or doing the 35 hours, I felt I would learn more from the 35 hours, although the mods would have been quicker to complete. Having said that, there is a chap on his 14th attempt at mod 2.

nomininolife:
I passed my b test in 1991, I passed mod 1 and mod 3 and I am now 14 hours into the dcpc, I was given the choice of doing mods 2 and 4 or doing the 35 hours, I felt I would learn more from the 35 hours, although the mods would have been quicker to complete. Having said that, there is a chap on his 14th attempt at mod 2.

If he is on his 14th attempt he is really doing something wrong! He might want to reassess his life choices or do something drastic, which he is clearly not doing