Training or Covering Their Backs?

Has anyone been on a corse that actually taught them anything of any use?
I’m booked on a training course for load securing next Tuesday with a few other drivers. If it is going to be like all the other certificates being handed out in recent years then its just so some training company can steal money for a worthless bit of paper to the driver or a nice shiney, this will cover our arse, safety certificate for the company.

Manual Handling course = Sitting in front of a corporate video then a short film with some one like John Cleese with an expert showing you stuff you been shown a million times. Then answering a few questions from a multiple-choice paper. Which you are given the answers too if you are too stupid to read the answers from the sheet conveniently left on the middle of the table. Supposed to take half a day but it was Friday and the instructor had to travel back to Edinburgh so only took one hour and five minutes. Guess what we all passed, wooohoo!

Safety Site Passport = Same as above but a different training firm and took a bit longer Oh, and the bloke showed us some horror pictures of burnt legs and broken fingers. I had to fill in one blokes answer sheet ‘cause he had to go and unload some pallets. Guess what we all passed, wooohoo!

Forklift truck license = I get asked to drive the forklift with dodgy brakes and when I complain nobody says anything but I get a verbal warning for not wearing my hard hat in an open field, where the only thing liable to fall on my head is bird crap! Reversed round a few cones in the yard, with empty pallets on. Watched the obligatory video. Lifted pallet with a few blocks of wood stacked in the middle, drove between the cones and put it down again. Given a sheet of paper with all the banksmans signals on it. Exam in the afternoon was similar to the ones above, more questions but we were allowed to confer. Guess what we all passed, wooohoo!

I could go on but I’m sure quite a few of you can recognise these scenarios. It’s a big rip off and I think it should be looked into anyone one else been on anything similar?.

I would say a bit of both.

The company can’t afford to take it on trust that you know what you’re doing and they haven’t time to be watching you every second of the day, so they make you do these courses/refreshers so you’ve got no excuse if you do mess up. So yes, its covering their back. However, just because you know it all doesn’t mean the guy next to you does too.

I’m biased now, of course, because i started working with a taining company last week :stuck_out_tongue: Its the same one that put me though my class 1 though, and being as I passed first time I reckon the instructors must be halfway decent eh? lol

If it isn’t useful to you, just relax and enjoy your scive, and don’t ruin it for the guys who are learning it for the first time.

I’ve done the forklift test and passed…I still can’t drive a forklift for toffee.

I’m being taught it again ‘in house’ now at work along with the sideloader (which is tonnes easier I reckon).

“In house” means unofficially, under direction from the fellas in the yard.

I have to say, I tip my hat to people who do drive these things properly it’s a pain in the arse watching 10 things at once without any mirrors.

I’ll try and get a lorry in the tightest spot if given a chance, but with these loaders the amount of stuff you have to judge blind is just silly.

Silly question, that certificate says your competent, so dont bother trying to sue us if you damage your back, you obvously wasnt doing what you were taught.

From the examples given by Hollywood I’d say the training, and equally the assessment, is not fit for purpose. How can the individual being trained be sure that his understanding of that training is correct if passes are gaurenteed (sp)? It would IMHO, as someone who once had a NVQ assessors qualification, that the training company had a closer eye on pass rates, and future business, that training quality.[/img]

well hollywood what do you carry that is so difficult to secure. :question: :question: :question:

jessicas dad

well hollywood what do you carry that is so difficult to secure.

We don’t really have anything that requires more than a couple of straps. It’s normally containers on twist locks or jackleg cabins with two or three straps over the top. Occasionally a pallet of timber or something similar.

I don’t have a problem with being trained to do a task properly it just seems like these training companies are just taking the money and running. The last couple of firms I’ve worked for have basically waved them bye bye and said ‘Right you’re all fully trained, get on with it’.
I was just wondered if the training I’ve been getting over the last few years, which was woefully inadequate, was about the same across the country.

Is you forklift certificate RTITB accredited?

A lot of companes get in-house trainers cos they’re cheaper, but with RTITB you are assured that the instructors ate training to a certain standard. You don’t know what you’re gonna get with one of thgese fly-by-night trainers.

If only that were true Dapper.

My Counterbalance licence is CITB (now CTA) accredited, and involved a 3 day course with a 6 hour test which was far worse than any wagon test.

My Reach licence, however, is RTITB. It was “earned” by having a chat with one of the drivers who used to deliver to our factory regularly, and also happened to be an FLT Instructor. He pottered off back to Sunderland to tip, then reappeared a couple of days later with my pass certificate signed and ready to go. :open_mouth:

You don’t know what you’re gonna get with one of thgese fly-by-night trainers.

Nah the soles tend to split on the cheap ones. Some Reebok’s and Nike’s arent too much better though :laughing:

Lucy:
If only that were true Dapper.

My Counterbalance licence is CITB (now CTA) accredited, and involved a 3 day course with a 6 hour test which was far worse than any wagon test.

My Reach licence, however, is RTITB. It was “earned” by having a chat with one of the drivers who used to deliver to our factory regularly, and also happened to be an FLT Instructor. He pottered off back to Sunderland to tip, then reappeared a couple of days later with my pass certificate signed and ready to go. :open_mouth:

My rose-tinted glasses have become all smudged. :cry:

I suppose the only solution is to go with a compay that has both accreditations and if you still feel like your training wasn’t up to par - complain!

Some courses I have took, mostly crap!

HIAB 1992, was a total joke, a geezer that couldnt work one told 20 or so of us that did it every day for years what to do and gave us a certificate, :laughing:

ADR, not too bad, learned a bit about usefull stuff like first aid and fire extinguishers, other advice seemed to be basically run away!

CPC, this was usefull, as it got me my truck!

Load Securing is a Job for Future.
I loaded in France by a Company(come back when remember name),where a Loadmaster checked first Lorry,Trailer,Equipment,Documents,Driving,-and ADR Licence as well as Securing Material like Straps,Hammer,Nail,Wood and what i all had with me.
After all was OK gave he the Loadingequipe directions how they have to load and secure.
At last got i on CMR posted that Company loaded in order of there Loadmaster and they take garanty that is right loaded and secured.
What you have to do is a Course for a Licence as ADR Adviser too.