Training in the North West....

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I currently work in an office type environment, 9am-5pm and I feel the need for change. I love being out and about on the roads and enjoy traveling throughout the country. I have been thinking about becoming a HGV driver for some time now…

After looking at various training companies like 1st Class Trucking, Easy as HGV etc etc, it appears that they are all keen to get you registered. I have to say, after speaking with them on the phone, they dont fill me with a great deal of confidence. They just come across as salesman desperate to get you to part with your hard earned cash. Every company that I have spoken to have advised I do my class 2 first. They said that after completion of my training, they guarantee I would be picking up £450 a week minimum for a 40 hour week…

Obviously this appeals but after speaking to people, this appears way off the mark and highly optimistic…

I am based in Cheshire and would like to start my training soon. Is it better to go to a training school first directly? Is the money quoted realistic and is there plenty of work available for inexperienced class 2 drivers??

Your help would be much appreciated as I dont want to run into debt having to pay for my training only to find no work available…

Stu

RSTurbo50:
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I currently work in an office type environment, 9am-5pm and I feel the need for change. I love being out and about on the roads and enjoy traveling throughout the country. I have been thinking about becoming a HGV driver for some time now…

After looking at various training companies like 1st Class Trucking, Easy as HGV etc etc, it appears that they are all keen to get you registered. I have to say, after speaking with them on the phone, they dont fill me with a great deal of confidence. They just come across as salesman desperate to get you to part with your hard earned cash. Every company that I have spoken to have advised I do my class 2 first. They said that after completion of my training, they guarantee I would be picking up £450 a week minimum for a 40 hour week…

Obviously this appeals but after speaking to people, this appears way off the mark and highly optimistic…

I am based in Cheshire and would like to start my training soon. Is it better to go to a training school first directly? Is the money quoted realistic and is there plenty of work available for inexperienced class 2 drivers??

Your help would be much appreciated as I dont want to run into debt having to pay for my training only to find no work available…

Stu

As far as my first highlighted comment goes your impressions are accurate for many of these companies. The second part I’ve highlighted is complete bollox I’m afraid. The biggest hurdle you will face is just getting ANY job with no experience. In a time of recession there’s many VERY experienced drivers who won’t be earning that sort of money and many are unemployed. If you see a job going it’s a dead cert they will want 2 years experience as a minimum. This is a requirement of their insurance policies. A small minority of firms will consider you but I repeat you won’t earn £450 take home for 40 hours! :laughing:

RSTurbo50:

Hi RSTurbo50,

In all honesty, I’d say that the above is a pretty accurate assessment.

RSTurbo50:
I am based in Cheshire and would like to start my training soon.

Just before you think about training, could I suggest that you do some research into the labour market in your area?
One idea might be to phone some companies (without mentioning your name :wink: ) and say that you have had a “C” licence for a couple of months and see what answers you get.

RSTurbo50:
Is it better to go to a training school first directly?

If you decide that you are going for training, then yes, yes and yes again.
You don’t need any assistance other than what a decent LGV training school will offer as free guidance, so there’s no point paying somebody for nothing.

Here is a link to our list of LGV training providers that have been recommended by TNUK members.
:arrow_right: LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - #5 by rog - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK
As I’m in Cheshire, I could give you a couple of other suggestions for LGV training schools that are perfectly OK, but don’t happen to appear on that list simply because none of our members have used them.

RSTurbo50:
I dont want to run into debt having to pay for my training only to find no work available…

Hence my advice that you approach this with great caution and as much advance info as possible before you commit to anything.

:bulb: Here’s another link that should help you with the overall process involved (and it’s free :wink: )

:arrow_right: LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

hi i started my training on wednesday last week and was in for my test on friday and passed first time.
i can reccomend STOCKPORT LGV
i dont think its on that list as posted above

Enterprise in Ancoats Manchester.
They have somekind of deal with Driver Hire in Manchester, as Driver Hire use them to put drivers through their test and you have to work a certain preiod with DH (at least youll get work as they have invested in you :wink: )

Welcome to the mad house

Now why would you want to change jobs atm :question: have you seen the news or kept up with it :question: as more firms are closing in all areas & you would like to jump ship at least 4 transport companies this mth have closed there doors that I know off the top of my head just look in the PDF ( main forum )

As has been said you will be very lucky to find work as a Cat C driver with no experience even agency are asking for at least 6 mth checkable experience & if you do register with them they can not guarantee work as there is quite a few already on there books

You could do the sensible thing & look in your local yellow pages to find your local provider them phone them make an appointment to go & visit & speak with the trainers see what the set up is like see if you like them

As has been said have a look at your local job market to see what is available if anything

If you have a spare 3k ( approx. ) then poss go for it but dont leave your current job it also depends when you passed your car test to weather you need the initial or periodic dcpc

ste_v5:
hi i started my training on wednesday last week and was in for my test on friday and passed first time.
i can reccomend STOCKPORT LGV
i dont think its on that list as posted above

Hi ste_v5,

Many thanks for your post.

I’ve had another look at our list under Cheshire >Stockport and found this:

http://www.stockporthgv.co.uk/hgvhome.htm

Could you please take a look at the link just above and post up whether it’s the same firm that you recommend?

I can amend the list to include the training school you used if it isn’t the same one.

Thanks. :smiley:

I can remember Stockport LGV testing out of Bredbury before they closed the Bredbury test center.

B1 GGK:
Enterprise in Ancoats Manchester.
They have somekind of deal with Driver Hire in Manchester, as Driver Hire use them to put drivers through their test and you have to work a certain preiod with DH (at least youll get work as they have invested in you :wink: )

Hi B1 GGK,

Enterprise are already on our list under Lancashire > Enterprise.

I can also remember Enterprise testing out of Bredbury GVTS.

I’d also say that Mantra Learning in Greengate, Middleton, and their other branch in Warrington do a good job and AFAIK use DSA registered instructors.

hi dave yes thats the correct one you posted in the link its 1-2-1 training,i’ve just got to do my mod 2 and 4 now and there helping me do that.

also i did my test in bredbury they havent closed it down its just a multiple use test centre

Please Google my user name and the 1st site you come to in natural listings.

I would advice you go direct. save yourself a lot of time and hassle.

hgvlgvtraining

So, if i do my Class C, get my license etc etc…how easy is it to get work without experience? I expect that money may not be great until I have built up some experience and I expect nothing else but is there work available?

Are there any agencies that support new drivers in getting work etc?

Stu

Depends where you live tbh & what the job market is like there you could do some research

Agency will promise you the earth but they do have a lot of drivers on there books & most in this area want at least 6 mth checkable experience so not easy even for an experienced driver

But then it has been proven that I do live in the worst area fro unemployment over 10% of the population here