Training.....How long?

Okay, something that has baffled me quite a lot today. As you all are aware of I work at clipper in selby on an ‘apprenticeship’ working in the warehouse, is it just me in thinking this scenario is a bit stupid? :confused:

Yesterday, I was put onto a job that I have never done before more or less getting stock from certain locations in big quantities like say to pick 74 pairs of jeans from such and such locations making sure there are still items left in the boxes/totes on the shelves etc. And well I did ■■■■ up several times and only JUST got my head around it. Today I was asked by the ‘team leader’ or whatever you should call them, and was told that I would be training up the new lad on agency because it would still be ‘fresh’ in my mind. Now I did ‘train’ the lad up with how I was told to do things, and he got on well with the work but is it just me that thinks it should have been the team leader or someone with more experience teaching someone not someone whose only just got onto the job. :confused:

It’s just been bugging me, good thing to put down on my CV obviously to say things I’ve done but to me it just doesn’t seem the right thing to do putting a new person in charge of ‘training’ someone whose just started. Maybe it’s just me who knows :confused:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

I’d take it as a compliment that my employer’s showing trust and confidence in my ability. It should also you to build confidence in yourself, but don’t let it go to your head. :wink:

There’s also the inescapable fact that your team leader is right. Not only is the job fresh in your mind, but you haven’t had enough experience to work out the dodges and shortcuts, so you’ll teach the next bod to do the job how the company wants it done.

One thing my old man always taught me was that the difference between “near enough” and “just right” is a few minutes if the end result’s correct and a few hours if it isn’t. Bloody good advice.

Indeed that is true, I haven’t let it go to my head though if anything my heads full of numbers counting the amount of clothes to be put in the totes. The other apprentice is shocked at how I can add and take numbers quicker than he can put them into a calculator, but I’m just proving to him because he used to work there on agency doesn’t make him any better than me. He found that out when he tried to ride the pallet I was taking on the pallet truck to be stored away, a quick strong pull of the pallet truck soon reminded him of the H&S guide lines on such idiotic decisions :smiling_imp:

But I found out the hard way on tuesday how a little mistake can cause so much ■■■■ :smiling_imp: e.g a full pallet that had all the paper work filled out incorrectly. :blush: Soon got the hang of it though :sunglasses: Couldn’t handle another day like today though, so bloody boring :open_mouth:

Atleast I have the week off until I go back on friday :grimacing: Bit crap having to work the weekend but I don’t mind :sunglasses:

Cheers

Don’t be too good a teacher or before you know it the pupil has become the master, and then you’re screwed. :smiley:

Thankyou.

I couldn’t be a teacher if I tried :laughing: I prefer working to teaching, not to mention I can’t be blamed if the ‘student’ makes a mistake :grimacing:

Bit daft though an apprentice being the teacher :confused: Doesn’t quite make sense :laughing:

Cheers

Here endeth the first lesson of delegation from your superior.

If it all goes ■■■■ up, blame the new bloke, if it all goes smoothly take the credit. By the way, you are the new bloke that I mean.

If you send too many items it will be your fault, if you miscount it will be your fault. If the other lad ■■■■■ up it will be your fault.

Lesson 2
How to stop bab sticking!

when i was an apprentice plater/welder and a apprentice electrician i had younger apprentices working with me. supervisors dont have to time wipe everyones arse so if you have just done something if you have a bit about you you can show someone else. :wink:

jonnytruckfest:
The other apprentice is shocked at how I can add and take numbers quicker than he can put them into a calculator

This proves the value of sound basic education. It’s long been a bugbear of mine that today’s youngsters depend too much on gizmos to perform the most basic of calculations; for the most part it isn’t their fault, they’ve just been conditioned to depend upon them. Like most of us who are over 50 I was taught mathematics before the advent of calculators; they became generally available when I was in secondary school but we weren’t allowed to use them in exams.

That ability will stand you in good stead in later life Jonny.

JD = I had no problems in teaching the lad what I was told how to do things, in all fairness he took on board what I had to say and asked questions when needed to and didn’t have the attitude of ‘I don’t give a ■■■■’ I’ll just take it as a compliment that he thought I could train someone up on how to do a job :laughing: :grimacing:

gnasty gnome:

jonnytruckfest:
The other apprentice is shocked at how I can add and take numbers quicker than he can put them into a calculator

This proves the value of sound basic education. It’s long been a bugbear of mine that today’s youngsters depend too much on gizmos to perform the most basic of calculations; for the most part it isn’t their fault, they’ve just been conditioned to depend upon them. Like most of us who are over 50 I was taught mathematics before the advent of calculators; they became generally available when I was in secondary school but we weren’t allowed to use them in exams.

That ability will stand you in good stead in later life Jonny.

When I was younger I often went to my grandmas and she loved to watch countdown, and it was often a little game she had me and my older brother play to see how many words we can make up out of the letters and how big of words we could get and with the numbers often said to get to that target number using the numbers provided. And that taught me a lot more in all fairness about adding and taking numbers than a classroom ever could. I used to get told off a lot in maths and accountancy in college for not using a calculator :laughing: :confused: Which is a bit odd when you think about it.

I was often called the human calculator in my class at school by my mates because something which would take many ages to work out it would take me very little time. (And often was asked what the answer was :smiling_imp: ) In fact when I took my sats in year 9 both exams took me 20 minutes, and I still came out with near top marks. To be honest, if I have anyone to thank for my knowledge in maths it’s my grandma. :slight_smile: But it’s just something I’m glad I can put to use in my life to this day, still keeps the brain in working order and all that :grimacing:

Cheers