Training courses

Hi guys,I need a bit of advice.I have finally decided that i want to become a lgv driver,a company called pathway have contacted me and are offering to put me throught my test and garentee me a job when i complete it.It all sounds to good to be true.have any of you had any dealing with this company and have you any helpful advice for me?

i would ask them who you will be driving for, how much the pay is and if you can pay for the training by them getting a bit stopped out of your wages. That’ll sort em :laughing:

yeah they said i would be working for dhl in northern ireland.they said i would be on 460 for a 45 hour week.im just a bit worried cos i hear alot of bad reports about these type of companies offering all this stuff

It is too good to be true, in the words of the corrs you should run away, they are lying plain and simple. Who in this economic climate can guarentee someone a job? Especially if that person is new to an industry after five days of training :exclamation: These companies make me sick :imp:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome damienm633 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry, but this is a bit of a long post so a bit of scrolling is needed…

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)

If you click the link in my signature or these truck pics

it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS… - I suggest the trainee-to-be visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Recommended LGV training schools

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is this country short of drivers ?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

damienm633:
yeah they said i would be working for dhl in northern ireland.they said i would be on 460 for a 45 hour week.im just a bit worried cos i hear alot of bad reports about these type of companies offering all this stuff

Ask them for their promise in writing on company headed paper and signed by a member of their management - IMO, you are more likely to see this first…

For those contemplating doing A LGV course, especially in this current economic climate.

Be prepared to spend the money but not use the licence for maybe 2 years.

That may seem harsh but is going to be the reality for many.

If you can afford it - do it now, then, by the time 2 years is up - the so called ‘experience’ time for a lot of agencies - this downturn should be nearly over and you will be in a good position to get LGV work.

Maybe taking a refresher near the end of the 2 years would be advisable :bulb:

Keeping the job you already have will give you an income and maybe, just maybe, there might be the odd agency day for you during those 2 years so sign up with a few agencies and see how it goes :slight_smile:

For those that have decided to get their LGV licence now or have just recently passed: -

In ‘normal’ circumstances it is not easy to get that first foot on the ladder but now is not a good time for experienced drivers, let alone newbies.

Remember that you now have the licence and when things pick up, which they will, eventually, you will be in a good position to get going - you might even have that elusive ‘2 years so called experience’ that a lot of agencies seem to want.

OK, right now it feels like you have wasted money as you cannot do anything with it, but just think of it as an investment for the future :slight_smile:

damienm633:

Hi damienm633,

My advice to you is very straightforward.
Please take the time to do some reseach and ask the right questions.
Here are some suggested questions, the answers should be easy to check for yourself:

Give DHL in Northern Ireland a ring and tell them what the company told you.
Then ask whether they’ll employ you once you’ve completed the training.
Then ask whether they have any idea that the company you spoke to are using them for what might amount to a reference.

As for the reports you’ve heard, just use this site’s seach facilty and put in the name of the company and see what you get…

Another way that you can check for yourself is to phone some LGV training providers in your area and ask about the prices of their LGV training courses. Take the opportunity to visit them, see the trucks and speak to the instructors. Then compare their answers with the company you’ve already spoken to…

You could tell the company you’ve spoken to about your results when you’ve reseached them properly and you’ll then be in a position to gauge their reaction to what you tell them. You’ll then be able to make your decision. :grimacing:

Please let us know your progress and don’t hesitate to ask for more advice before parting with your cash or signing any documents. :smiley:

dieseldave:
As for the reports you’ve heard, just use this site’s seach facilty and put in the name of the company and see what you get…

Unfortunately, the site search facility is not fully up & running but the techies are hoping to fix it soon.

For those contemplating doing A LGV course, especially in this current economic climate.

Be prepared to spend the money but not use the licence for maybe 2 years.

That may seem harsh but is going to be the reality for many.

If you can afford it - do it now, then, by the time 2 years is up - the so called ‘experience’ time for a lot of agencies - this downturn should be nearly over and you will be in a good position to get LGV work.

Maybe taking a refresher near the end of the 2 years would be advisable :bulb:

Keeping the job you already have will give you an income and maybe, just maybe, there might be the odd agency day for you during those 2 years so sign up with a few agencies and see how it goes :slight_smile:

That’s good advice. The only thing I’d add to that is to keep your fingers crossed the Turks don’t enter the EEC in the meantime. They’ve had high unemployment in Turkey long before this recession and many of those are just waiting to flood over here to join the Poles,Rumanians,Lithuanains and all the ■■■■■■■ rest who are depressing drivers wages here. If the Turks come in too you might as well hand your licence back. :confused:

I did my training with one of the companies which promise a job at the end, the only trouble I had when the job was offered; it was at the other end of the country, in the south east, I wasn’t going to move, so the company have done their bit and I had no job! :frowning:

Live and learn, the hard way unfortunately :blush:
Stu

Thanks guys for all your advice some nice tips in there il be keeping you all up to date on my progress. :smiley: :astonished:

damienm633:
Thanks guys for all your advice some nice tips in there il be keeping you all up to date on my progress. :smiley: :astonished:

Hi damienm633, I’m glad we got to you before you made a costly mistake. :smiley:
:wink: I bet you’re glad too. :grimacing:

Please check out Pathways carefully,if I am not mistaken these people were known as Clearstone or work in a simular fasion to the afformentioned company they take money and promise the earth but never deliver.

Tell them to FOXTROT OSCAR there are very few openings for a newbie at present.We all know that if you want to be an LGV driver you need the training .Check out the local hauliers and ask about which training co. they use or recommend.