Training, costs and possibilities?

I am considering getting my CPC and possibly my C and C+E licences. I will have to cash in my tiny pension-pot to be able to do this.
I am currently unemployed.
Are there any grants, bursaries or loans available to help with the costs?
Is the expenditure deductible against tax? Or even "write-offable (? ! I’m not an accountant!)

Hi, I was made redundant last year due to covid and ended up unemployed, after an email to DWP and a couple of phone calls they paid for my class 2 and class 1 training and tests, although it took 10 months through the pandemic in now fully qualified class 1 (C+E) driver, not sure what the criteria is for being awarded the funding but can’t really fault the DWP for there help. If your set on be coming a lorry driver I’d say crack on yourself as I did get the forms get the medical booked get your license off to the DVLA

What wakou said. We’ve had a few guys come through from the DWP. Due to the shortage they are speeding up the process to help guys back in to work. So I would definitely give that a go.

DWP funding isn’t new. If you have a job offer in principle the chances are probably enhanced further. I suppose they could be of the opinion that once you have class 2, there are jobs you could apply for, so I’m not sure about specifying that you wish to get both before applying for any jobs.

Bear in mind though, that all the time you are unemployed, potential earning time is lost. Forcing the matter yourself and outlaying £3000 and then being in constant employment would be better than, say, six to twelve months off on whatever the DWP allowance is.

Alternatively, one of the members on the main forum was mentioning that shelf stacking at Asda apparently pays £11 an hour (on nights). Some class 1 work doesn’t pay that.

Might I say that, finding some work to keep you going while self-funding might be a good option and may result in the best end-resulting financial position.

This is all great advice. Thank you all for replying.

Help from the DWP will depend on where you live. I got my Class 2 when I lived in Suffolk and they were very helpful and arranged quickly. Where I live now in the Fens getting Class 1 was a nightmare despite the fact that there are loads of jobs - DWP no help at all.

jessejazza:
Help from the DWP will depend on where you live. I got my Class 2 when I lived in Suffolk and they were very helpful and arranged quickly. Where I live now in the Fens getting Class 1 was a nightmare despite the fact that there are loads of jobs - DWP no help at all.

I am in Essex. I have a “meeting” with the ‘DWP’ on Friday, to “discuss my opportunities” (!).
These questions will be raised!

I have had this discussion about the cost of getting your HGV licence, obviously the DCPC is an added cost, but when I paid for my Class 1 in 1979 I think it cost me a months wages. I believe the cost has remained the same, it is just the value of money that has changed.

Jeremy Whine was talking about a licence costing £7k though. This sounded excessive.

I have had this discussion about the cost of getting your HGV licence, obviously the DCPC is an added cost, but when I paid for my Class 1 in 1979 I think it cost me a months wages. I believe the cost has remained the same, it is just the value of money that has changed.

Jeremy Whine was talking about a licence costing £7k though. This sounded excessive.

I believe LGV driver training represents very good value for money. It is, as quoted above, around a month’s wages - - nowhere near £7k!

Put in context, both my daughters are teachers. Their training took 3 years+ and cost IRO £40k each. And starting pay, as a newly qualified teacher, is lower than a truck driver. It takes years before there’s any benefit in comparison.

I have mentioned before, the cost of training is lower now than it will be in the future. So, if you can afford it, go for it. Lists are lengthy at all reputable trainers so dont expect it to happen next week!

Take care all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

So, the “meeting” with the ‘DWP’ was frankly, astonishing!
I expected to be confronted by an unfriendly box-ticker with quotas to meet who was going to force me into min-wage slavery.
Instead, an attractive young woman, who was kind, patient, actually listened, and tried to help.
I explained that I have a C1/class 3 ticket, but need a dCPC to use it. She had a google and then said:
“You know more about this than I do. Find a course and get a quote, and send it to me, I’ll have to pass it by my boss, but I can honestly see no problem in funding you for this”
I was so shocked I nearly wrote to the Daily Express to complain about this scandalous waste of taxpayer’s money!
(Googles “Las Vegas all-inclusive hotel and CPC deals”)
Honestly, though. She were grand!