Training begins Or; How to become humble in one easy lesson!

■■■■ me!!! if you can drive as well as you write you should of sailed through - sorry to hear it fella!!!

Spd0121 gutted for you mate,but 3 minor,1 Serious is very very close,get your test booked ASAP ,you’ll get it! regards and good luck derek

Sorry you failed has been a very good read I thought that I had lost my long post but it was still there had to go back then submit

You should book a re test asap

As one exeminer told me, after I had failed, “You’ve not failed, just didn’t pass this time” it doesn’t help though.

Best of luck next time, you’ll do it with flying colours!!

Stu

Thouroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It’s triggered a few memories of my own. Don’t worry too much about failing first time. Im not sure what it is now but the national first time pass rate was only about 30% when i took my C a couple of years ago.
I too failed on my first attempt but remember how bad it felt. Retook the test and passed with flying colours. Then did CE march just gone and passed 1st attempt. Keep your chin up and keep these posts coming. Excellent stuff :wink:

OK…here goes…

Day 5: The test. Or; So near but so far…

Awake before the 03:45 alarm…wonder why? LOL…downstairs, lots of coffee while reading over the list of possible questions and correct responses. 04:30 into the car and away into the ‘stygian darkness’ and rain…spend the entire drive running through where I would be and what I would be doing at this point in the truck…My Mum always said that I have an over active imagination…

05:40 Arrive at the yard…surprised, I follow Roger through the gates…guess he must a bit nervous too!! LOL

Fumble around in the darkness…and before y’all say it; I mean with the ‘Prelight’, keys etc. NOT Roger…you pervs! LOL Away we go.

We drive round for about an hour and 15 mins. Everything goes pretty well and Rog says, “Do it just like that and you will have nothing to worry about”.

Stop at a burger van for coffee and a last ■■■ (or three).

Into the test centre - park up and walk over to the little room to meet The Man. Was it my imagination or was there somebody calling out, “Dead man walking” behind me? LOL

Feeling quietly confident but also, as I told Roger, “Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!”

Posting now to avoid this disappearing as it did last night - TWICE!!

editing now…stand by…

And we’re back…

The Examiner appears (The Chief Examiner no less! I’m honoured…sheesh!). Paperwork complete, we walk to the truck and he asks me a couple of questions related to loading the vehicle and operational checks of the indicators. Textbook answers (Almost verbatim in fact LOL) Into the manoeuvring area we go for the reverse. After completing the reverse, I always get out for a look but, just as I open the door to do so, he calls out,“No need, that’s good”, and climbs into the cab. Sudden stop…“Very good”…away we go. Seems a nice enough guy…but then again so did Ted Bundy and Hannibal Lecter on the surface! :open_mouth:

More editing…

After 40 mins or so, I am starting to relax a little. Not much, just a little. I have yet to see him make a mark on the test sheet, although I realise that I am too concentrated on what I am doing to have seen eveything that he does. We come around the Norwich one-way system in heavy traffic. At the bottom of the high street, our road (single lane) merges with the High Street (two lanes) at about a 45 degre angle, controlled by a taffic light with a ped. crossing just in front of it. We are sitting one car back from the light behind a ‘Cotton top’ drivng a Focus estate. Light changes, but we cannot proceed because of the ‘numbnuts’ caught in the junction nose to tail at the change. No worries, sit and wait. The traffic starts to move off and Grandpa pulls ahead to the other side of the crossing, there are now 3 or 4 car lengths clear ahead of him, so left mirror, right mirror, check back and ease forward. Instead of moving head into his lane, Grandpa now decides to stop and try to filter into the right hand lane which is still chock-a-block, so he angles across his lane and stops. This left me sitting, you guessed it, with the ■■■ end of the truck on the crossing. I could not get past the rear end of his car. we end up sitting there until the lights change, Grandpa moves into the right lane and I am forced to go ahead to clear the crossing. I realise that I have now ‘failed’, but decide that rather than give up, I would continue to the bitter end and not compound the error by making more silly mistakes. The rest of the ride goes OK and when we arrive back at the centre, I hear the dreaded, but now fully expected, “I m sorry, you did not pass”. To this I respond, “I understand and think I know why”. He looks rather surprised and says, OK, tell me what you think you did wrong". I go through the above scenario and say that i should have not assumed that he would pull ahead into the clear lane, but should have waited for him to do so, even at the possible cost of having to take a minor for ‘undue hesitation’. I then add, “I don’t know the technical term that you use for this error”. to which he replied, “Lack of forward planning”. He then tells me that otherwise, it was an ‘excellent’ ride and tells me about the 3 minors. 2 were for ‘Undue hesitation’, both of which I had taken deliberately in order to avoid having a motorist possibly have to brake or change direction. The other was ‘speed control’. At one point on the ring road, I could not see a speed limit sign, immediately after turning on to the road, so held it at 30 until I saw the next 40 sign.

So all in all, although I am very disappointed; I am not totally gutted.

I will say however that having had 36 hours to ponder things, I am beginning to wonder whether or not it is worth allk the stress!!

Thanks again for all the kind comments about these blogs. As for the lovely comment about being able to write well; All I can say is that, since one of my degrees is in English, it would be a shame if I was not at least slightly literate. don’t ya tthink? LOL

Mind you, after twenty-odd years in the States, my grammar and punctuation ain’t what it used to was!

Once again guys; Cheers!

Simon

Another great read. :smiley:
Sounds like you were a bit unlucky on the day. :cry:

with the ■■■ end of the truck on the crossing.

It’s a bit difficult for me to invisage the exact situation as I don’t know that bit of road so I have a question -
would, in your opinion, the situation you found yourself in be considered as unsafe, illegal or inconvenient or a combination of any mentioned :question:

I ask because from the way I’ve read it, there did not seem to be a major problem and as you KNEW what the problem was and how it should have been done (learnt for future use), with an explanation to the examiner before he told you, then I cannot see why he failed you :exclamation: - IMO, the examiner should have given you a rap on the wrist and let it go at that as the rest of the drive was great BUT, as I stated, I was not there.

I agree with Rog. From what you explained there and how good the rest of your drive was im suprised you got a fail. Mind you maybe they had to meet the daily quota and were looking for the slightest little thing.
I really don’t think you should give in. A lot of people on this forum myself included have felt that way after failing, but i am certain you will nail it if you keep on going. I mean 3 minors! Come on that is nothing :wink:

Hard luck mate… :frowning:

Yes it is worth it !!
Take a quiet few days talk with your instructor.
Then go nail it!!!

Luv the blog
Regards
Paul

Unlucky Mate, Better Luck next time! :wink:
Keep your chin up, and im sure you will be Fine next time! :smiley:
Brilliant Read :smiley: :smiley:

Go for it again. You might regret it if you don’t.

Hi Guys,

Heard from Roger tonight. He’s booked me another test for next Friday afternoon.

Having had a couple of days to think about it now; and continuing to read the threads here and on other forums, I am not totally convinced that i want to put myself through it again. We had to scrimp and scrape to get the money for me to take the training and I don’t know if I want to put my family through any more hardship than I already have.

I have to let him know by Wednesday.

Will let you guys know, just as soon as I have made up my mind.

Thanks again for all the support and good wishes.

Cheers,

Simon

It would be a shame not to go for it again. How much is it? :cry:

If you don’t go through it you have just thrown all that other money in the bin.

You’ve come to far now to just give up mate
get that retest done!!!

Semtex:
If you don’t go through it you have just thrown all that other money in the bin.

You’ve come to far now to just give up mate
get that retest done!!!

ECHO the above and your training is still fresh in your mind

Back again:

Had a good night’s kip and a chat with SWMBO. Feeling a lot better about it now.

To be honest, Yesterday, I had a bit of a cold/stuffy head (Man Flu; see the following: glumbert.com/wii/view.php?name=mancold ) and generally felt a bit blaaah. Pathetic I know, but restored to usual ‘Pain in the ■■■’ optimistic mode today.

Spoke with Roger this morning and confirmed the test for 2:30 Friday afternoon. We are gonna meet up in the morning, ride over to the test centre with his next victim and then do bit of driving between the tests, to make sure that i have not forgotten absolutely everything.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that Michael passed last Friday (How rude!). So big, big congrats to him. Well done mate!

Thanks again for all the encouragement.

Cheers guys,

Simon

spd0121:
Feeling a lot better about it now.

Spoke with Roger this morning and confirmed the test for 2:30 Friday afternoon.

Hispd0121, That’s the post I was waiting for. :grimacing:

Whether it’s got wings or wheels, a test fail has many varied possibilities as to why.
It might be that your man-cold intervened, you might have just had a bad day, or you were just plane unlucky. :wink:

I have to completely agree with those who have already said that to walk away at this point means that you have chucked your cash in the bin, I honestly think that you now owe it to yourself to pass your LGV test. Then I’d use your reasoning of

in your other post you:
We had to scrimp and scrape to get the money for me to take the training and I don’t know if I want to put my family through any more hardship than I already have.

Now imagine how they’d feel if you had walked away, because the scrimping and saving would have been endured for nothing…
I do hope that both you and they will have reason to think that any sacrifices were justified.

Now please go and knock 'em dead on your next test. :smiley:

spd0121:
To be honest, Yesterday, I had a bit of a cold/stuffy head (Man Flu; see the following: glumbert.com/wii/view.php?name=mancold) and generally felt a bit blaaah.

As your link seems to be a dead one I thought you might mean this - MAN-FLU :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s the one! :smiley:

Quite right too!! LOL