Training and test next week

Well I’ve been on here for a while now (few months) and have posted a few times.

As the title says I have my lgv class 2 training next week and then the following Monday with the test on the Tuesday. I’m really excited but also nervous. I will be doing a day-by-day training thread to say how I’m getting on.
I’m doing the training at Apex training services at Peterborough. Anyone had any experience with them?

Wish me luck

:smiley:

Good luck with your training and test!
What is the total for your training?
Do they have artics aswell?
I am waiting for my training on October for Rigids but aiming for Artics.
In Aberdeen you can get only Rigid and trailer. It’s easier to pass on the same truck second time,
but I am aiming to work on artics so anyway I have to look some training for artics.
You come for assesment and you have no idea how to couple/uncouple semi trailer to unit!
Mario :wink:

ajames10:
I will be doing a day-by-day training thread to say how I’m getting on.

That’s great mate, and we’ll look forward to reading it and any questions that you might have. :smiley:

ajames10:
I’m doing the training at Apex training services at Peterborough. Anyone had any experience with them?

Apex, Peterborough are on the TN list of recommended LGV driver training providers, so at least one TN member has reported having a good experience, and good service at a sensible price.

Once you’ve completed your course and test, maybe you could post to tell everybody what you thought of it all?

ajames10:
Wish me luck

I do indeed, good luck mate!! :smiley:

Yeah they do artics as well and that’s what I’m going to progress onto as soon as I can. I’m not 100% sure on the price as its not me paying for it upfront. I know a lot of people are going to moan how you shouldn’t get someone else to pay blah blah blah but when your given the chance to have you training paid for and a job at the end of it where you then pay back the sum of how ever much it cost but at a price you can afford, it’s not going to be just sniffed at.

I have half prepared the blog up to this point so that will be up shortly.

Good luck with the training and enjoy it mate.

Cheers
Gareth

Had my week training and test this week just passed with my test yesterday, pleased to say I passed it with flying colours.

Monday morning I was nervous like you but once I had a feel for the truck by Tuesday I felt much better.

Done my training and test in peterbough like you but with a different training company, the test routes are quite straightforward but just be careful on Lincoln road, don’t do more than 25mph the idiots down there will walk out on front of you and not use the pedestrian crossings!

Good luck for your test, hope you pass too

Trucker1991:
Had my week training and test this week just passed with my test yesterday, pleased to say I passed it with flying colours.

Monday morning I was nervous like you but once I had a feel for the truck by Tuesday I felt much better.

Done my training and test in peterbough like you but with a different training company, the test routes are quite straightforward but just be careful on Lincoln road, don’t do more than 25mph the idiots down there will walk out on front of you and not use the pedestrian crossings!

Good luck for your test, hope you pass too

I will try and remember what you said about Lincoln road :slight_smile:

Well yesterday was the first day if training and I think it went quite well. I had a few issues with the gears but was getting the hang of it towards the end. I stalled once on a roundabout but that was because I forgot to take the handbrake off lol. Also had a problem with a junction where I hit the curb on the first go and then again on the second go. Reversing went fine so all good :slight_smile:

yes do keep us posted i have mine on the 10th of October if all goes well theory wise on friday,
all experiences and things to watch for and mind out of the way of, always help

Day 2, just got home and am knackered again. So much concentration is needed. My instructor is happy with how I’m getting on with the training. Managed to get the hang of the junction I had trouble with yesterday. Am getting better with the gears but need to remember how long the vehicle is when pulling away at roundabouts etc as a few times today I pulled out and the gap wasn’t big enough. All in all not bad for day 2 :slight_smile:

:smiley: good man

Hello again, I keep forgetting to update this on how things are progressing.
Day 3, well it was the best day so far. Have cracked the reversing but tbh it hasn’t been a problem really just fine tuning it. Managed to also crack that same junction again. Only problems I had yesterday was at a mini roundabout I was asked to take the first exit (left) which was a very tight turn. It was all going fine but then a car come the other way down the road as I was half way into the new road I was turning into. For some reason I went back to thinking I was in a car and tried to avoid him where I should of just stopped and waited, but whilst trying to avoid him I turned to sharply and the rear wheels went up the curb. I knew I had done wrong for avoiding the car instead of waiting so next time around it happened to be a similar situation but this time I remembered to wait until the path I needed to take was clear. Another issue was at roundabouts and junctions I was choosing a gap which wasn’t really big enough, was getting better towards the end of the day so hopefully today I can sort that one. All in all another good day.

Good luck mate I hope u will pass ur test.

yas4u:
Good luck mate I hope u will pass ur test.

Thanks mate

Day 5 complete :slight_smile:

Went well and had a longer drive out on a few A roads instead of concentrating around Peterborough town. Also passed my module 4. Absolutely shattered now so gunna have a relaxing weekend and refresh ready from Monday and Tuesday next week :slight_smile:

Well after a relaxing weekend doing pretty much nothing, I had my 6th day of training yesterday. It went badly at first as I was a bit rusty with the vehicle size/gears etc. but after a break about half way through the day, it got much better. Last night I was worrying about test day (today) but then realised I had nothing to worry about. Went to bed early to get a good sleep. Fine ally test day is here, excited but nervous at the same time. Eggs and bacon for breakfast and my lucky belt on I headed out the house and off to apex. Arrived at apex feeling good. Started my hour and a bit of last minute run through and it wasn’t going to good with the gears, just couldn’t get 5th and also hit a curb and pulled out I front of a car. Then arrived at the test centre and was nervous but calm. I will spare the details of the actual test, basically because I can’t really remember it lol. But at the end, when I had parked up and turned the ignition off, the examiner told me I had PASSED!!! Was so glad as I was convinced I has failed but I hadn’t :slight_smile:

Tbh it hasn’t really sunk in yet but I have told my parents, best mate and also the boss of where I’m going to be working soon. So happy, now got to write my notice and hand it in where I work ATM.

:smiley: :smiley:

Thank you :slight_smile:

well done mate.

Gareth