Training and drivers hours

Does training for my class 1 affect my drivers hours, do i have to use my card for training?

No.

shullbit:
Does training for my class 1 affect my drivers hours, do i have to use my card for training?

Assuming that the training is being done at a training school where you won’t be carrying goods for collection/delivery it’s exempt from the drivers regulations and you won’t have to use your driver card.

If an employer is paying for your training then it’s working time, same as taking dcpc training. Otherwise, no.

WhiteTruckMan:
If an employer is paying for your training then it’s working time, same as taking dcpc training. Otherwise, no.

what if employer is paying for half of my training but on non working days such as holidays or weekend?

shullbit:

WhiteTruckMan:

what if employer is paying for half of my training but on non working days such as holidays or weekend?

Specifically I can’t answer that. But I will say that if they are paid holiday days then you accrue working hours at the rate of 8 hours per day, or 48 for a full week.

Also, if you are doing anything at weekend there may be implications regarding reduced weekly rest.

From a practical standpoint, it’s highly unlikely to be picked up on. But not impossible.

It doesn’t matter who is picking up the tab for the course - what matters is whether you are attending in your own time or as part of your employment.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
It doesn’t matter who is picking up the tab for the course - what matters is whether you are attending in your own time or as part of your employment.

I can’t immediately see how the two concepts are distinguished!

Rjan:

Roymondo:

Megacorp Logistics plc arrange courses for their drivers and tell them when and where to attend. For the drivers it is a normal working day. I’d suggest the time should be recorded as Work.

Joe Soap Haulage tells his drivers to make their own arrangements in their own time but agrees to cover the cost of the training.
I’d suggest that is not Work.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Rjan:

Roymondo:

Megacorp Logistics plc arrange courses for their drivers and tell them when and where to attend. For the drivers it is a normal working day. I’d suggest the time should be recorded as Work.

Joe Soap Haulage tells his drivers to make their own arrangements in their own time but agrees to cover the cost of the training.
I’d suggest that is not Work.

If the employer systematically tells drivers to make their own arrangements for their work-related training and agrees to cover the cost, it’s begs the very question whether it is their “own time”. It’s certainly not what most people would consider “leisure” or “free time”, nor something social, recreational, or hobby-related.

If you asked probably any driver why they were doing it, they would say it is part and parcel of the compulsory obligations of their occupation.

And such a course is more than de minimis or having the quality of both recreation and work, nor is it remote from your normal occupation.

Even if we accepted that it is not work on behalf of the employer, it’s a harder push, in my view, to say that it is not haulage-related work on one’s own account which needs to be recorded.

My mob give us the training on a Sat our day off then charge us the upload fee (company trainer) [emoji3064]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk