Training and advice for newbie!

Hi,

I live in Kent and would like to know the best way to go about getting into hgv work.

I’m 51 and have a clean car licence held since I was 18, wanted to know if I would be able to get work etc and any other information you think would be helpful.

I found a firm in West Thurrock, Essex (Roadtrain) are they any good etc and what’s the best way to get work after passing test…hopefully!!!

Sorry this is a bit disjointed but hope to get sorted!

Thanks

Roadtrain are one of the few DSA LGV Accredited Training Centres in the UK. To hold this, they have to maintain certain standards and have safeguards in place. So you can be quite sure of good standards.

There are also trainers out there who, for various reasons, dont hold the accreditation but still offer a very good service.

The normal job advice is to go door knocking, literally. Sending CVs’ through the post and email is 99.9% wasted time. Go speak to the person who hires and fires and make yourself known.

Many resort to agencies. There is a thread from Only Alan which outlines the potential problems. But it’s not all negative. Many drivers earn a decent living through agencies.

Good luck with whatever you decide and fire away with the questions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter,

Didn’t want to waste money on training with no hope of a job!
Some people say the money is not good for hgv drivers anymore, but that’s all round in any job I suppose!
I notice stobart offer an acadamy type training/job, maybe thatsanother option, but not sure if they only have northern depots etc.
Great information to be found on this forum, thank you!

No one can tell you if you’ll get a job or not. Much depends on the effort you choose to put in. Very few jobs are advertised which is why it’s vital to get yourself out there.

So far as the money not being good - all things are relative. If you dont expect to live in a big house with a fancy car and posh holidays, there’s a good enough living. There are some extremely well paid jobs and there are some disgusting jobs.

But I have plenty of evidence that, not only are new drivers getting work, they are getting decent work.

I have mentioned before that it cost me many thousands of pounds to get my daughters through their uni courses etc to become teachers. They earn no more than a well paid truck driver. And it took them 3 years +. It takes a truck driver a couple of months - start to finish and change out of £3k. So I happen to believe that it’s a very good way forward based on my own family’s experience.

Once again, good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

swains in rochester take on new drivers there are a few other local companys which do but i cant remember which ones

Driving other types of vehicles such as car driving makes no odds to most employers as they are usually more interested in how long you have had the relevant LGV category on your licence

This is traditionally a quiet time of year for LGV recruitment of any kind