Training - 2 to 1 all day or 1 to 1 half day - not all day?

I was having a ‘discussion’ today with someone who believes that a LGV trainee on a 1 to 1 all day course can do twice as many ‘behind the wheel driving hours’ because they are on their own.
It was said that if 2 trainees can do say, for example, 6 hours combined ‘behind the wheel driving hours’ in one day then a single trainee can do the same 6 hours.

I disagreed. IMO the trainee on their own is too tired after about 4 or 5 hours (with appropriate breaks) and they then start to make errors which can be serious or dangerous as well as making the trainee frustrated at themselves.

What’s your take on this please :question: :question: :question:

I personally prefer to have 1:1 as I get nervous at the best of times with someone “breathing over my shoulder”
Also I LOVE driving so I enjoy being greedy. I’m a terrible passenger (especially in the hands of a learner :laughing:
And I think the main reason as well I have done long distance driving before so am used to it.

My opinion of course :wink:

Si :sunglasses:

Panther Collection:
I personally prefer to have 1:1 as I get nervous at the best of times with someone “breathing over my shoulder”
Also I LOVE driving so I enjoy being greedy. I’m a terrible passenger (especially in the hands of a learner :laughing:
And I think the main reason as well I have done long distance driving before so am used to it.

My opinion of course :wink:

How long could you keep up max concentration though whilst learning :question:

Personally I was knackered every day after my Cat C training, which was 1 on 1 from 8am til 2pm.

First time I went out on my own in a lorry, I was wondering what I’d found such hard work before! That might have had something to do with learning in a DAF and being let loose in a Volvo though. :wink:

Personally I was knackered every day after my Cat C training, which was 1 on 1 from 8am til 2pm.

How many behind the wheel concentrating hours was in that 6 hour period please :question:

ROG:
How long could you keep up max concentration though whilst learning :question:

That is a very good point. When I was doing my C1 training 1:1, the instructor would give me several 15 min breaks and an hour for lunch so in total 8 hours training I probably drove 6 hour maybe a little less but with regular breaks.

ROG:

How many behind the wheel concentrating hours was in that 6 hour period please :question:

We had two breaks, maybe 45 mins in total, other than that I was in the driving seat.

I actually had two instructors, because the firm I learnt with had just taken on a new instructor and the boss was showing him the ropes…obviously only one of them was telling me what to do at one time though.

Andyroo:

ROG:

We had two breaks, maybe 45 mins in total, other than that I was in the driving seat.

I actually had two instructors, because the firm I learnt with had just taken on a new instructor and the boss was showing him the ropes…obviously only one of them was telling me what to do at one time though.

4.5 hours - thanks - that was my take
waiting to see if some more can confirm my views - or not, as the case may be :smiley:

What i found with my training was i was very eager to learn and welcomed the full time i was given 1 on 1 , if i had to share (like i did on test day) i would have felt short changed.

I felt every hour of my 5 days training was invaluable and never felt it was to much , more the opposite, i always thought i needed more.

I would have been happy drive as much as i could just to get used to the larger vehicle ( and i think thats half the battle) before the test

Evening Folks,
When i was taking my C+E training the day sarted at 8.30 and finished at 4.00 this course was on a 1:1 basis.
Out of the 7 1/2 hour day i will have spent about 6 hours behind the wheel. They were long days and i’m not sure if i would of managed if i was on a basic CAT C course. What made it even worse was the fact i had to spend an extra 2 hours a day on the road traveling to and from the driving school!
Regards Smokinbarrels.

I agree Rog that 8 hours of one to one training is pushing it a bit for the trainee.
In our school we only do One to One training as most trainees ask for that, but only do them five hours a day - with plenty of breaks - which is about as much as you can expect a trainee to do. Its flaming tiring work learning to handle a truck and the guys are only human.
It is better to do more short days rather than less long ones.
Your boss does not seem to be in tune with what its like out there and needs to be taken out for eight hours at a stretch himself to see what its like.
But as he is on the money end I dont suppose he wants to listen to your advice does he?

ROG:
4.5 hours - thanks - that was my take
waiting to see if some more can confirm my views - or not, as the case may be :smiley:

IIRC my CE training, which was 1:1, was 9am-2pm (5 hours) with an appropriate break so I’d say you’re right.

I did the C,C+E and D on 1:1 instruction.
Started at 8.30am and finished at 3pm.
2 x 15 min. breaks, one in morning and one in afternoon, 45 mins for lunch.
5hrs 15 mins. driving time per day.
Worked fine for me. :sunglasses:

My regular work can see me sat at the wheel for a fair slice of the day, sure it’s not constant slogging away but I can and have coped with max driving hours.

However doing my CE training did catch up with me at one point on the 1:1 sessions and it was noticeable to me that things weren’t not going as well as they could have been. The same amount of driving (non training) would have been a walkover.

Driver training is far more intense than any other driving that a person will do, and I would agree that 6 hours a day driving is the maximum anyone can manage at the level of concentration required. Ideally 4 hours, which is why many companies offer training of 2 together, spliting the driving up. This has the added advantage of trainees observing and doubling their time in the vehicle (at no extra cost).

All trainees feel differently about 121 and 221, and it is best for them to have a choice. Many training companies have to travel to the test areas and feel it is in their trainees best interest to share a full day with another. If you find a company that offers flexibility, then a choice can be made.

My trainees get worked very hard with minimum of breaks, because they are paying to learn to drive the vehicle and not how to sit in the cab, chat and drink tea. They can and do sleep well when they get home!

i went with john lambert, lindsey school(highly recomend)
they were 7 hour lesson including an hour for lunch and a coffee break, this is the max i would think although a farm lad and used to grafting most of day i must admit you do feel the strain

I find 2 people sharing the driving 8.30 to 4.30 about right - each can discuss problems at break times and they are still learning while the other is driving. Push too hard on 1 on 1 and the candidate goes downhill and will loose confidence in ther own ability.

When I did my training (1.1) I did it in 4 hour blocks with a break halfway through, by the end of the 4 hours my head started to go and that was the point that I started to make stupid mistakes

4 hours training MAX, any more and the pupil definately loses interest, and doesnt care, I used to give 20 minute break debrief in middle also.

Tended to find time of day took its toll as well, hated training after 5 as traffic is heavier and the pupil got frustrated with this.

Thank you all very much for your replies :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I spoke to a number of trainees and instructors today at the gloucester test centre and the general concencus was between 4 and 4.5 hours max per day of ‘behind the wheel driving’ so this confirms what the majority have said on here.

Thanks again folks.