Trainee / Apprenticeship

Hi all,

I’m so sorry in advance if this is a question that gets asked all the time, I imagine it comes up a lot. I did have a little look through recent posts and didn’t come across anything too similar.

To put it simply, I’m currently undergoing studies in a different industry that was already “dying” for british people however with Covid on top of this I really am thinking of a career change before finishing up with my studies, I have around a year and a half left but it keeps getting pushed back further and further. I’ve always wanted to be a driver, it was going to happen at some point, even if I finish what I’m doing now or not.

I understand there are a lot of negatives to the industry, along with the positives. I’m trying to go at it with an open mind and not glorify it so that I am not let down. That being said I would definitely argue that what I’m currently doing has a lot more negatives that come with it.

Being the position I am in, I have very little money to be able to splash out on the licenses and everything that comes with them. Are you guys able to give me any insight on companies that take on apprenticeships or companies who will pay for the licenses that will then be deducted from my wage once qualified and working for said company.

I have done quite a bit of research into it, I’m in South Wales so have looked at a lot of Bristol based depots and haven’t really come across much yet.

Any sort of insight would be greatly appreciated, even if the advice is just to find a way to save up sort it all myself.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on your savings and your partners savings and income, the job centre have 24 million available for training funds to benefit claimants of which they have only spent about two million and the work coaches are told to keep quiet about it.
Work clothing and travel expenses can be claimed if successful in attaining a job for a set time period along with PPE and suits for an interview.

Tarmaceater:
Depending on your savings and your partners savings and income, the job centre have 24 million available for training funds to benefit claimants of which they have only spent about two million and the work coaches are told to keep quiet about it.
Work clothing and travel expenses can be claimed if successful in attaining a job for a set time period along with PPE and suits for an interview.

Thanks for the info. I have just sent an email to my local job centre. Hopefully they can add onto that and give me a bit more about it.

cheers!

Hello, with the discussions supposedly being had between the government and the haulage industry at the moment, I am wondering if the government will start paying people to train. Then again, they may be better off paying people with a licence to get back into it, as there are many with a licence not working in the industry by the sounds.

I’m in South Wales also and recently heard that there may be Warehouse to Wheels opportunities at AF Blakemore in Talbot Green that you could ask about. I know someone who has started in the warehouse there recently with the idea of getting his HGV licences paid for. Definitely worth a visit, if they’ll let you through the gatehouse!

Hi,

It’s true there is funding available for class 2 as I have just currently signed up to one of their programs.

It wasn’t so much Jobcentre for me but probation. They managed to squeeze me onto a course as apprantly they are going to stop these soon. (Don’t know how much this is true/bs)

I have to complete a few other courses first (English, maths, IT, digital skills, CV and cover letter etc) and a bunch of other courses aimed at logistics and warehousing before they will put me onto the class. All in all, 16 weeks. No cost to me.

Beware though, job centre will not pay for transport to training courses. (It’s a mixture of online and onsite). However they will still pay for your UC whilst you are training. I did manage to blag a tablet off them (£220 max claim limit) as most of the courses are now online on Microsoft Teams.

The training provider is called Mantra training and they have a 100 drivers in a 100 days program ongoing now. (Based in Middleton near Manchester). Maybe give them a call and see if they do courses closer to you.

Congratulations on getting a tablet as i wrote about this in another post about Government funding and someone did get offered a new lap top computer.
I’m not sure if this company is still going or not but they are based in Brighton and work along side big companies and the Government to train people for job skills by taking training courses and possibly get travel and hotel expenses paid for , they are called Cute Dog training.
It’s owned by a very fit looking mother and daughter too.And it’s good to see a positive comment about the Probation service who really do want to help out and put people on the right track again and move on from the past .