Trainee Advice Sought

Hi my names Ryan Mark I’m 25 and about to start my LGV training in the near future, I’m currently waiting for my provisional cat c to come back in the post and have selected and been in contact with my chosen trainer in Exeter. I’m looking forward to it as I’ve always wanted to do this as I’ve spent so many hours in my dads and uncles lorries over the years and looking forward to being behind the wheel of my own cat c and c+e’s. Considering my circumstances I’ve been really lucky to have already found an employer willing to take on not only a young new driver but an endorsed driver as well.

Little bit of an intro done what I’m after is any tips or recommendations from anyone for good material to practise the LGV theory, hazard perception and DCPC case studies for module 2 and maybe any other information that I may need like drivers hours, rules and regs etc.

I think that’s it (for now at least!)

Many thanks

Ryan

Check out the link in my signature below as well as all the other stickies

When you get your provisional, arrange at least two assessment drives. Not all training is the same. This is the list of accredited trainers which is worryingly short: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Any queries, fire away. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you ROG and Peter. I shall have a look through your link and the stickies as suggested by you ROG. Peter I had a look in to 3 local trainers to me and decided on the one that appeared to be my best match. I visited their site had a look at the available vehicles met a wide range of the staff from the instructors to the office girls and the main man himself and have read/heard brilliant things about them and whilst it’s not the main reason but also plays a part their costs seem pretty reasonable also. Have been invited by them for a theory training day included as part of my cat c course and as you say will have my assessment drive once I have my provisional (which seems to be taking an eternity).

As you and ROG seem to be very highly regarded on this site I would also like to ask for your professional opinions on what way I should choose to go (or what path I should take).

My circumstances as of current are I have the funds I need for qualifying cat c and DCPC to go on to the pallet distribution work I have the opportunity to go in to but my ultimate goal is to eventually end up on C+E bulker work as this is the work I grew up around and is what interests me mostly however I have a young son (just turned 3) and a daughter due on 11th Jan and so the funds the Mrs and I have can’t be completely eaten up. Which would you suggest? burrowing the remaining funds from my parents so I can complete all the training in a shorter period of time and having all required licences/quals ready for the future or just doing the cat C and DCPC and returning to training at some time in the future for the C+E?

Sorry for the essay and thank you very much for your time and responses guys.

Ryan

No apology needed - sensible question.

The general advice is to go for CE as soon as possible. The reasoning for this is that you’re still in “training” mode, that CE work opportunities are more plentiful and that it pays more.

However, I am never keen on folks going into debt (for anything apart from a house). Given your circumstances, it seems wise to pass C and go onto the work you’ve been promised. Save up and do your CE out of your own funds. Having a baby around, congratulations BTW, will be an expensive exercise in itself.

Hope this makes sense and may help. ROG might take a different view, but that’s my considered opinion for what it’s worth.

Really pleased you’ve researched your training options and taken the time to visit. Are you going to share your choice of provider?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete thank you for your very valued opinion and one that makes perfect sense. It’s the best and most helpful view I’ve had so far as the only help my lorry driving uncles could provide was “I wouldn’t bother mate” or “it’s not what it used to be” I have come across a few people trying to talk me out of the industry and its what led me to find this site which is proving to be an absolute must have!

I thought you may say it’s suggested to do it all in one as I know how difficult I’m finding it to kick my bad habits I’ve built up in 5+ years of multi drop driving ready to be of good driving discipline to take my course. We aren’t keen on that bit of debt either but considered it may be a better way of career investment rather then emptying majority of our joint life savings on it. As what’s left is to be rebuilt and create what we call our life’s safety net. Thanks for the congrats all sorted and ready for her arrival now which her big brother is eagerly awaiting as well.

Certainly will, I have chosen to take training with Steve Robertson Training Services in Exeter, Devon. I read to many stories and seen posts etc warning of these brokers and also loads of real decent training schools providing warnings of brokers and their dirty dealing ways and so made sure I satisfied myself and chose who I felt would provide a good local service to hopefully get me on my way.

Many thanks

Ryan

Out of interest, who are you going with? I used SRTS for both C and C+E (albeit a bit over 10 years ago) and I thought they were good.

Oops, helps if I actually bother to read all your posts first :unamused:

With regards to whether to do C and C+E together or separately, I’d say that Peter’s advice is spot on. I did mine two years apart - I used the money earned from C work to pay for the C+E. Once you’ve got C+E you’ll find that the opportunities for work are much wider.

I’m sure you’ll be fine with SRTS.

Thanks MrFlibble pleased to hear of another positive experience with SRTS and thanks for sharing your info, I’ve spoken through it with the Mrs again and I think what you and Pete suggest makes very good sense and that’s the way I’m headed. 2 years sounds about right can’t wait to get on C+E work but at the same time I don’t want to rush things.

Many thanks

Ryan

Just make sure that, when you’re on your test, you remember this: Topsham Road has a 30 mph speed limit. It looks like it should be 40 mph, but it’s not. Steve was always going on about it during the training because loads of drivers keep failing their test for speeding on that road. When test day arrived, I passed, and the other trainee failed. For speeding on Topsham Road. :unamused:

Thanks for that I shall make sure that stays at the forefront of my mind as I would hate for that to be me! And I don’t travel that part of the city very often.

Ryan