Trailers

How many differnt trailers are there and what jobs
do they get used on :question: . I keep reading trucknet and
hearing about tilts, flats, skele and was a bit confused
so I had a look on the net and found a few.

1. Tautliners -
  2. Skeletal - Used for Container boxs
  3. Flats - Flat bed trailers and are used for steel.
  4. Stepframe -
  5. Dry freight box van trailers -
  6. Coil carrier flat trailers -
  7. Draw Bar (Wagon & Drag) -
    (A Frame)

The conventional ‘A’ frame trailer is mainly used when weight
    distribution is a problem.

(Straight Bar)

:sunglasses:Euroliners (Sliding roof curtainside) -

9) Feed Bulker -
potatoes and other root crops.

10) Ice Liner / insulated curtainsider -
11) Machinery carrier -
12) Refrigerated -

13) TIR Tilt Trailers -
(T.I.R.)
“Transports International Routier.” World agreement that
allows cargo to cross borders under customs seal. Used
for trips outside of the EU or exhibition goods.
(Tilt)
A cargo carrying unit with a removable framework covered by a sheet (or Tilt). Used mainly on cross continental transport.

14) Tankers - powders, liquids and gases
15) Bulk Tipper -

16) Trombone extendable trailers -
A trailer that can be extended to carry long loads.

17) Demountable -

(Contact demountable system)
wheelbase.net/demountable-sy … llery.html
(Straight lift demountable system)
wheelbase.net/demountable-sy … llery.html
18)Low laoders -

Glass Carriers are another one that springs to mind. Weird shape with the deck slung low between the wheels and a canvas top.

wot about tippers

I dont think I have seen a Glass Carrier trailer.
Do you know where I could find a pic of one :question: .

Does anyone know what these are :question: .

Skeletals -

Fixed or Rolling Bogie option

Flats -

P.S.K. option
Post and Socket option

mezzzz1211:
wot about tippers

What about them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

convoy:

metalcraft.co.nz/glass_carriers.htm

mezzzz1211:
wot about tippers

They’re never going slow enough to get a good photograph of :laughing:

My understanding of a PSK trailer was effectively a flat but fitted with twistlocks so it can carry boxes.

Cheers theghostofcain :smiley:

theghostofcain:

mezzzz1211:
wot about tippers

They’re never going slow enough to get a good photograph of :laughing:

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

theghostofcain:

convoy:

metalcraft.co.nz/glass_carriers.htm

I think ‘glass trailers’ was meaning something different to this but I can’t find a picture anywhere!! :imp:

The trailers I am thinking of are also used to transport fork lift trucks because of their shallow loading ramps. The body can be ‘dropped’ on the floor and there is no ‘cross axle’ as such.

Some one help me out - I know what I mean at least!!

convoy:
Skeletals -

Fixed or Rolling Bogie option

Basically, a fixed skeletal is one which has a solid frame and will always be the same length. So a 40ft fixed skellie is always 40ft long, and can only take 40ft boxes (or 2x 20ft empties, or one light 20ft on the back, but I won’t confuse you by going into that… :wink: ). The one in the picture you’ve put up is fixed.

A “rolling bogie” skeletal is the poncy manufacturers name for a sliding skellie or “slider”. There are various different types, but far and away the most common version has 2 parts, one of which slides over the top of the other. These trailers are far more versatile and the most modern ones can carry 20ft, 30ft, 40ft and 45ft boxes, and are “slid” to various different lengths accordingly to ensure safe and legal weight distribution. They can then be locked into position for driving down the road.
The trailers are also “slid” to enable the tipping of 20ft boxes carried in the middle of the chassis - a far more stable and safer option than using a short fixed trailer like the one in your picture. :grimacing:

Here’s a (pretty crap) picture of a “slider”, where you can see that the front half sits on top of the back, enabling it to slide over the top when needed -

Hope that makes some sort of sense…I’d probably have explained it better had I replied at a more sensible time of day… :blush: :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I did have a look for a glass trailer but couldnt find a pic.

They’re quite odd looking things, having quite big wheels with air suspension either side of the load deck, with a step frame to go over the tractor at the front, they also tend to have a canvas top with a rounded roof.

See quite a few of them round Dover.

Nice thread. Will nick some of it for the Newbie FAQ’s that we’re putting togeather :wink:.

dennisw1:
I did have a look for a glass trailer but couldnt find a pic.

They’re quite odd looking things, having quite big wheels with air suspension either side of the load deck, with a step frame to go over the tractor at the front, they also tend to have a canvas top with a rounded roof.

See quite a few of them round Dover.

Yep, that’s the ones … but could I find a picture■■? Could I chuff!! :imp:

Anyone know what they’re officially called, or any names of manufacturers??

Glass carriers are also known as Innenlader. They are used for carrying stillages of float glass. The chassis rails run down the side of the trailer and instead of having conventional axles they use 6 independant stub axles.

To load the trailer you simply reverse over the stillage and raise the suspension. not for the faint hearted who are unsure of their reversing skills :stuck_out_tongue:

Is this the type of trailer?

Thats the chappie! Penfold drives one for LIFT (Luxguard) and Nijman Zeetank operate the Pilkington contract

:slight_smile: Here’s a few more for the collection :

Walking Floor Trailers. Used for carrying bulk for re-cycling : newspapers and mags., woodwaste (sawdust & shavings), tyres, glass bottles, etc.

Ejector Trailers. Used to carry waste to landfill sites. The load gets pushed out the back, a ■■■■ sight safer than tipping on an unstable area like a rubbish tip ! :open_mouth:

Insulated Vans. Like a fridge trailer, only without the motor on the front. Used to carry goods that need to maintain a temperature within a given range, but are not perishable in the accepted way that most foodstuffs are. For example - pharmaceuticals, chocolate bars. :stuck_out_tongue:

Timber Trailers. Like a skelatel trailer, but with adjustable stakes down each side. Often also fitted with a crane, for the driver to self load in the middle of a forest and offload the round timber logs at a railway siding or dockside or sawmill.

Specials : Exhibition units with fold out ‘gull - wings’. Mobile x-ray units. Mobile operating theatres. Mobile shops, like the butcher’s you see on the Sunday Markets.
…And from next year onwards : the TruckNetUK / Redline Racing joint Hospitality Suite and Drinking Den… :laughing: :laughing:

:wink:

don’t forget