TRAILERS FOR 44Tn

What is the possibility of seeing in GB a two axle tractor

with a four axle trailer running at the top weight, This is

a system used by one or two firms here in GERMANY

mostly they are carrying heavy steelcoils, but also they reload

with other types of gooods as well, This would alllow the tractor

unit to carrry more fuel and therefore be more economical

or are these type of trailers not allowed in GB.

The type of trailer I am talking about is a normal tilt with

an extra axle fitted.

one of the Belgium firms pulling boxes for ECS out of Dartford allegedly contacted VOSA to enquire about this and apparently there is no problem with it as long as you dont overload any of the axles.

They are running in the UK with this configuration.

It makes it very difficult to stay within the 10500 drive axle limit Pete.

I remember seeing a Belgian Subbie with one in Poole the other week.

Bulkhaul tried to copy a dutch design for carrying a 30’ lift tank on a step frame but the neck was so long and the trailer so numb, it couldnt get into many of the places

In a short phrase; ‘not a hope.’ The regulation allowing vehicles to run at maximum weight, i.e. 44 tonnes require the following;

1. the distance between the rear axle of the drawing unit and the front axle of the trailer to be not less than 3 m.
  2. the weight of each drive axle shall not exceed 10 500kg and each drive axle shall be fitted with twin tyres and road friendly suspension or each drive axle which is not a steered axle will be fitted with twin tyres and shall not exceed 8 500kg.
  3. Each axle of the trailer is fitted with road friendly suspemsion.
  4. each vehicle comprised in the combination has at least 3 axles.
  5. the drawing vehicle has a low pollution engine (Euro2 or above)
    Whoever at VOSA alledgedly said it was OK was incorrect as the combination must have 3 axles on the drawing unit and 3 axles on the trailer. The combination described (2+4) would actually be limited to 40 tonnes in the UK. Cannot see the point of this combination unless it is doing international work and can therfore fuel up outside UK at substantially less than UK pump price. Simply carrying more fuel does not make a vehicle more economical, just means you don’t have to stop so often to fill-up, and loose all those chances for a free coffee!!

geebee45:
Whoever at VOSA alledgedly said it was OK was incorrect as the combination must have 3 axles on the drawing unit and 3 axles on the trailer.

It is legal to do 44 tonnes on five axles in the UK, Three on the tractor and two on the trailer, but the trailer axle spread must be in excess of 2.5 m.
The regulations are a minefield, vehicles can be loaded within individual axle weight limits, but be in excess of the bogie classification.
Also under EEC regs, a vehicle that is legal in its EEC country of origin, is legal in other EEC countries, as long as the vehicle conforms to the gross weight regulations of the country it is visiting.
And if the ministry had’nt given the Belgian haulier clearance to operate, I doubt very much he would continually risk it :unamused:

brit pete:
one or two firms here in GERMANY

mostly they are carrying heavy steelcoils,

Would that be Pothast & Doring (no German keys here!) from Schlos Neuhaus, Pete?? I know they do a lot of UK work but i’m not sure if they take those 4-axel trailers to UK.

I’ll try find out tomorrow.

NO I HAVE SEEN THE FOLLOWING FIRMS ; ABX :smiley:UISBURG

DEINHARDT MEINERZHAGEN AND RICHTER STEEL TRANSPORT

COMPANY: THERE ARE A FEW MORE BUT THESE USE A

FLAT OPEN TRAILER TO TRANSPORT LIQUID STEEL FROM

WORK TO WORK HERE IN THE STEEL INDUSTRY OF

THE RUHR-POTT: MARCCUSTANDY WHAT ARE POTHAST &

DORING LIKE TO WORK FOR:

Bulkhaul tried to copy a dutch design for carrying a 30’ lift tank on a step frame but the neck was so long and the trailer so numb, it couldnt get into many of the places
[/quote]

Tell me about it,i was one of the lucky ones who had to pull the bloody things

Brit Pete,

I haven’t worked for them, they are about 5 mins away though, so I se them often.

A chap I know who works near me used to work for them but he went off driving. He now does permanent nights (4 on; 4 off) as a security dog handler.

I think they were OK to work for but he wanted to be home more. He still doesa the odd bit for them now on his ‘4 off’ so they can’t be that bad!!