Trailers and O Licence

Can anybody advise if an O licence is needed for JUST trailers , no tractor unit?

Also do you need to increase your O licence if you increase your trailers BUT NOT your Artic ?

I reckon you do as trailers are required to have inspections the same as trucks and when you apply for an O licence you ask for x number of trucks and x number of trailers. The only thing is you can’t declare a trailer as it doesn’t need a disc.

Don’t know if this is the definitive answer, best be asking VOSA for that.

IMHO I would say no. As you would have no means of moving them. The licence is an ‘operating’ licence and you would not be operating them. However I am intrigued as to how’why anybody would only have trailers.

Hayton Coultard lost his o licence a few yrs back but still carried on with his business using his own trailers and subbying the work out.

Just trying to clarify if you need an O licence for Trailers now or you need to increase your licence if you increase the trailers

I wonder if , say Heritage, has an O licence, as they just have trailers ( I think) ?

IMHO no you don’t.

If you have no units to pull the trailers then it can only mean that a subcontractor will pull them for you, the subby will hold the o-licence.

Case in point; Norfolk Line, etc…

You do not need an O licence to just own trailers we have lots of so called hauliers who have no tractor units. In felixstowe there are a few about. You can have tractor units and no O licence if you wish to as long as you dont operate them for hire and reward,but you can hire them to other people but after one month they have to declare a vehicle onto their O licence.