Trailer woes...

Pulled over just south of Madrid as noticed trailer brakes smoking…found an air chamber leaking on the third axle so ive blocked that off but still seemed pretty much stuck so wound off the slack adjuster again to no avail. Assuming now the shoes have either broken up and the linings jamming the drum up or theres no lining left and the shoes have welded themselves to the drum?? Fully freighted with 30 bulk bags of agg as well. Secondary plan was to get the drum off (if i could) and remove the shoes and… my bottle jacks just blown its seals, bollox … Its not going to be a good day… :frowning:

Not that I’m saying you should disable your trailer brake ,but to get you to somewhere to get the chamber replaced you could use the wind off tool that’s hopefully in a bracket on the side of the chamber, insert it into the hole in the end of the chamber after removing the rubber bung if fitted, locate it with a quarter turn then tighten the nut up to pull the spring back inside.

Not good mate, your trailer too no doubt.

Bearings?

Hope you get it sorted what ever it is.

Well…finally after 3 hours managed to get going. Phoned one of the Spanish lads who i knew was around an hour behind me, we got the second axle up on a high curb and had timber under the first to get some weight off the third and with his jack managed to get the wheel and drum off. The linings were toast with bits off the top shoe all in the drum, emptied all the debris out and the wheel turned :smiley: At Zarragoza where theres a 24hr workshop, theyre stripping it all out and replacing shoes and the chamber. Yet another old ex Hungaricamion tilt, probably hasnt been looked at since its last test :unamused:

If you just want to limp a trailer somewhere, lowering suspension, unplugging the air bags, strapping the axle up then raising is usually the easiest way to get moving. If it’s the front or back it’ll just look like a lift axle.

If you try getting the drum off, and it gets stuck or something, so you can’t get the wheel back on you’ll then draw attention if it’s strapped up without a wheel.

Own Account Driver:
If you just want to limp a trailer somewhere, lowering suspension, unplugging the air bags, strapping the axle up then raising is usually the easiest way to get moving. If it’s the front or back it’ll just look like a lift axle.

If you try getting the drum off, and it gets stuck or something, so you can’t get the wheel back on you’ll then draw attention if it’s strapped up without a wheel.

Thats what i was fearing but i didnt have any suitable straps with me and in any case it was fully loaded with 30 1t bulk bags, 4 of these were double stacked over the bogie. Slapped the drum back on with no brake shoe linings, got the wheel back on and it was ok. Picking the trailer back up in the morning, they had a chamber but had to wait for shoes and other parts…

Hope it won’t be too hefty for you on the old wallet Andrew.

I have just sent a ’ virtual ’ cuppa over to you mate. Be careful you don’t spill it, you ain’t having another :wink:

eagerbeaver:
Hope it won’t be too hefty for you on the old wallet Andrew.

I have just sent a ’ virtual ’ cuppa over to you mate. Be careful you don’t spill it, you ain’t having another :wink:

Thanks for that EB, just right …milk no sugar… :laughing:

Re the cost, ill pay for the repairs but get it back from the company i sub for, they in turn invoice the trailers from hell company back in Hungary…

Park the lorry in the " club " , car park, have some fun in there, the establishment accept DKV cards and fuel cards .
The card invoices will come back as Miguels pneumaticos, so the wife will see the statement as a tyre blow out at Ocana or Lleida .
Even better, drop in at Freds at Coslada for one of his invites to his clubs .

The only bright side is that it ain’t your trailer.

Freds…

Nice bloke but not my favourite place to stay when I was in Madrid all those years ago.

Is he still alive?

Fred is alive, last time I saw him , he owned a ground floor restaurant in a residential tower block in Coslada .
He speaks several languages.
The very first Freds was a dust bowl lgv parking , lots of booze fuelled fights when the football was on, aa some nationalities didn’t get on .
I used to get the bus or train to Madrid, when weekended there.
I cycled to the city using minor roads, was quite an experience .

toby1234abc:
Park the lorry in the " club " , car park, have some fun in there, the establishment accept DKV cards and fuel cards .
The card invoices will come back as Miguels pneumaticos, so the wife will see the statement as a tyre blow out at Ocana or Lleida .

As long as ‘job’ wasnt substituted for ‘out’ everything would be fine… :grimacing:

toby1234abc:
Fred is alive, last time I saw him , he owned a ground floor restaurant in a residential tower block in Coslada .
He speaks several languages.
The very first Freds was a dust bowl lgv parking , lots of booze fuelled fights when the football was on, aa some nationalities didn’t get on .
I used to get the bus or train to Madrid, when weekended there.
I cycled to the city using minor roads, was quite an experience .

That’s…

Good to know, he was a really helpful guy.

The booze fuelled punch ups were the reason I avoided the place.

It was embarrassing to be English there and other places sometimes.

Many many times if a load of Brits came in somewhere, I’d hack away in French or Spanish or just have an early night.

peterm:
The only bright side is that it ain’t your trailer.

One consolation. Ill get reimbursed for the bill but the hours spent getting it mobile again is lost money. The problem is with these old pos tilts we pull from Hungary is maintenance isnt always the best, theyre mostly ex Hungarocamion and others we pull are ex Norfolk Line from the 80’s, tough as old boots in build quality but most are now way past their sell by date… :frowning: