TRAILER TRASH.

HELLO ALL, WOULD REALY APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE ON BUYING TRAILERS :unamused: I AM LOOKING TO BUY 2 TRI AXLE 40 FOOT FLATS, HAVING SPENT ALLOT MORE THAN I HAD PLANNED ON A UNIT I NOW ONLY HAVE ABOUT 4 GRAND LEFT TO BUY THESE TRAILERS. :cry: SO TO CUT TO THE CHASE :confused: WHAT SHOULD I BE STEERING CLEAR OF■■? WHAT ARE ROR AXLES, IS STEEL OR AIR BEST, SUPER SINGLE OR TWIN… I KNOW ITS ON A SHOE STRING, BUT NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED, :stuck_out_tongue: ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY THANKS…!

sampopmat:
WHAT ARE ROR AXLES, IS STEEL OR AIR BEST, SUPER SINGLE OR TWIN… I KNOW ITS ON A SHOE STRING, BUT NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED, :stuck_out_tongue: ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY THANKS…!

ROR is just a make of axles. They’re one of the most popular, lots of them about so everyone knows how they work and spares shouldn’t be a problem. You want air suspension in this day and age really, not steel. You’re much better off with super singles instead of twin tyres.

You shouldn’t have any problem getting a good one for 4 grand, especially if you only want a 40’ one as there will be less demand for them than for a 45 footer.

Paul

repton:

sampopmat:
WHAT ARE ROR AXLES, IS STEEL OR AIR BEST, SUPER SINGLE OR TWIN… I KNOW ITS ON A SHOE STRING, BUT NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED, :stuck_out_tongue: ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY THANKS…!

ROR is just a make of axles. They’re one of the most popular, lots of them about so everyone knows how they work and spares shouldn’t be a problem. You want air suspension in this day and age really, not steel. You’re much better off with super singles instead of twin tyres.

You shouldn’t have any problem getting a good one for 4 grand, especially if you only want a 40’ one as there will be less demand for them than for a 45 footer.

Paul

He doesn’t just want one though Paul, he wants two.

hammer:

repton:

sampopmat:

Paul

better start looking down the back of the sofa :wink:

so, a little off topic, but what unit did you buy?

Try my mate at http://www.teesvalleytrailers.com/ He’s called Dave, and an ex O/D and fairly sound as Used trailer salesmen go.
I personally would look for one with ROR meritor running gear unless I could burgle one on MERC or SAF dscs within my budget. Oh and avoid SMB axles and early ROR meritor discs, the small ones.

hammer:

Oops, my mistake. Getting two good ones for 4 grand is asking a bit much. You could perhaps consider renting them instead? You ought to be able to get a couple of flats on hire for next to nothing. Or even buy one and hire the other until such a time as you can afford to buy a second one?

Paul

what you will get for that price is 2 chopped down tautliners on air, no good for carrying short heavy loads but for general cargo you will have no probs, just an example i found on the net, loads more of them about

FLAT WITH JULY TEST 45 FOOT ON AIR, ROR AXLES ÂŁ1250 !!!RECENT PAINT

EMail: Edward Brewster

Phone:07810 471169

chaversdad:
what you will get for that price is 2 chopped down tautliners on air, no good for carrying short heavy loads but for general cargo you will have no probs, just an example i found on the net, loads more of them about

FLAT WITH JULY TEST 45 FOOT ON AIR, ROR AXLES ÂŁ1250 !!!RECENT PAINT

EMail: Edward Brewster

Phone:07810 471169

You beat me to it…I was going to suggest the same route to two flats for the low cash available!

Chopped down tauts basically mean that the taut frame and curtains have been gubbed but the running gear and decks are good but as chaversdad says…avoid any short stumpy well-heavy loads and you will be good!

Good luck.

Thanks a million for the replies lads, great advice, as you can tell I realy didn’t have a clue.
Does any one know of trailer rental in yorkshire/ north England■■? Any idea of price■■? :smiley: :confused:

renaultman has already mentioned teesvalleytrailers in a previous post.

as for price, i guess that would have to be down to age and condition of the trailer.

take a look in the back of Commercial Motor at he sales pages, there are hire companies advertise there in the trailers section

depends what you want , i use a fella in darlington for mine,ÂŁ10 a day for flats charged for 6 days if you keep it all week, ÂŁ25 a day for an extender and ÂŁ 100 a day for the all singing and dancing super duper long ones :smiley:

Hello shuttle, looking at buying a 55 plate XF space cab, 250, ooo k. Thanks again to all for replies :smiley: :smiley:

Are drum brakes to be avoided ■■?

sampopmat:
Are drum brakes to be avoided ■■?

there are pro’s and con’s for both drum and disc brakes

Drums are cheaper to reline, disc are easier to replace the pads

there are “issues” with disc brakes on earlier trailers, as in calipers siezing

personally, i prefer trailers with drum brakes, more reliable

on the other hand, drums are more prone to brake fade than disc brakes.

you pay your money, you take your chance

Here you are, I found you 8 trailers

Here.

and here.

shuttlespanker:
renaultman has already mentioned teesvalleytrailers in a previous post.

as for price, i guess that would have to be down to age and condition of the trailer.

take a look in the back of Commercial Motor at he sales pages, there are hire companies advertise there in the trailers section

I mentioned it to Dave, he felt sure he could fix you up, PM me, and I’ll give you his mobile no.

THANKS FOR THAT LADS, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED :wink: :wink: :wink: