Trailer stack

Got to go and collect some new trailers today, apparently they will be stacked on each other.

Never done this before, just wanted to check that it is just a case of throwing some straps over them to secure them?
Should just be 2 flat trailers.

I’d strap them forward and back too ,and even consider dumping the air ?

I used to do this at Montracon. They should be stacked and air dumped all ready for you. When strapping them down put a piece of foam or card where the strap touches the side of the trailer. No one likes their shiny new trailer delivered with strap marks on the shiny new paint work :blush:

most trailers have ferry lashing shackles on the chassis… use 6 or 8 straps and jobs a good 'un,
and make sure the leg winding handle is stowed because they can unwind and result in all your straps being loose.

and hope the legs have not been wound up on the bottom one

098Joe:
and hope the legs have not been wound up on the bottom one

If you are planning to unstack them

Trukkertone:
most trailers have ferry lashing shackles on the chassis… use 6 or 8 straps and jobs a good 'un,
and make sure the leg winding handle is stowed because they can unwind and result in all your straps being loose.

When we used to do them for Crane Fruehauf we used to throw 2 to 3 straps over them, but that was then. From what I’ve seen recently they do seem to strap than against forward and backwards movement and strap each trailer to the next.

I think most points have been covered, but I also used to check the leg winding mechanism was in gear as well as stowing the handle.

Anybody actually had to build a Stack by reversing one trailer on to another then putting both them onto the bottom one. Soon gets you into reversing accurately. :smiley:

I do this regular for sdc and it always seems very inadequate, 3 flat bed trailers stacked with 4straps ratchet down over the top one only. Straps are vertical so are only holding a tenth of their lashing capacity, no restrain to stop them going forward. I think what would be the outcome of a good shunt but as previous poster said, they don’t like they’re trailers marked

muckles:
Anybody actually had to build a Stack by reversing one trailer on to another then putting both them onto the bottom one. Soon gets you into reversing accurately. :smiley:

Used to do that for MAT with flatbeds going back unaccompanied on the ferry.

Silly question, but I genuinely do not know the answer - even after doing the DCPC :open_mouth:

How so they get around the “Not loading above the headboard” rule on load restraints?

muckles:

Trukkertone:

When we used to do them for Crane Fruehauf we used to throw 2 to 3 straps over them, but that was then. From what I’ve seen recently they do seem to strap than against forward and backwards movement and strap each trailer to the next.

I think most points have been covered, but I also used to check the leg winding mechanism was in gear as well as stowing the handle.

Yeah the good old days, stack off 3 decks(trailers) middle one reversed to put weight on the pin, 1st strap put just forward off the top trailers legs 2nd strap just in front off the top trailer bogie, 3rd strap just behind the top trailer bogie, use iron bar in the ratchet handle for extra leveridge to get the straps proper tight. park brakes applied(on carried decks) check, landing leg winding mechanism engaged check, oh and cardboard or plastic corners or old gloves under the straps to protect paintwork check. Then leave North Walsham at 2am and go like ■■■■ too Congleton for 8am, bob tail home at the same rate off knots. This was including Nottingham and Derby ring roads, A50 to Stoke and drop through Trentham gardens to pick up the “D” road, to take you to the A34 and Congleton. 750k’s under the belt get paid a night out and sleep on your own bed. Then someone invented limiters :unamused: and even with the A50 dualed and Derby bypassed, could no longer round trip it :unamused:

The 1st time I did this I’d only been on artics about 6mths, so I went with one off the regulars (norman) He started more like 4am, but it was still at a rate off knots (and when you are green a stack don’t half sway about a lot, thank god for the CB and some encouraging words, like “hurry up I want to get there today, ole partner”), only that He wouldn’t roundtrip them, but would stop at the Farm Café A17, and have the next days stack trunked up to him. (Reason round trip guys got night away money, making Units available for trunking), That was a relief as I was able to steady My nerves for the next days onslaught with a drop or 2 off Bitter :laughing: happy days in a Renault G290 :wink:

Did an unstack of three Montgomery trailers on the ramp at the old McGregor Cory site at Watford Gap a few years ago. Hanging off the side of bottom trailer to wind the legs up in low gear. That was tough !!

Used to pull brand new triple stacked trailer(s) from Birkenhead docks, the trailer stack was pre-strapped straight off the ferry.
It was just a case of checking the tension was ok, and off I went

could rope the wheels too & (figure of 8 -double hitch ) :wink: if your that way inclined , get some roping practice in :sunglasses:

Sounds interesting… Any decent detailed pictures of such things?.. Not much on google

400.jpg

The principle of roping wheels down goes something like this :
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45587&hilit=roping+sheeting&start=810

all points covered best place for the leg handle is in the neutral position then locked in its riding position. ensure the trailer park breaks are also pulled