Trailer registration plates

Has anybody heard any rumours that all new trailers are going to be issued with their own registration plate :open_mouth:

Don

Haven’t heard that but is about time it happened.

I found this on a travel forum. The poster is a regular and does not usually post urban myths.

“As you probably know, I work for the largest semi trailer manufacturer in the country and I have been told that we (the company) are to be an issuing authority!
I understand that it comes into force later this year. (for new trailers)
I will have to find out more.”

Don

It just amazes me that the UK still doesnt register trailers or worse still caravans. They should pay road tax like the Europeans, it gives an extra security device and could to help trace poor drivers

Yes, I’ve been hearing this rumour since 1986.

Wheel Nut:
…It just amazes me that the UK still doesnt register trailers or worse still caravans. They should pay road tax like the Europeans…

Yes but not all the europeans pay tax, register or even insure their caravans seperately. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

Wheel Nut:
…It just amazes me that the UK still doesnt register trailers or worse still caravans. They should pay road tax like the Europeans…

Yes but not all the europeans pay tax, register or even insure their caravans seperately. :wink: :laughing:

That depends whether that little car tagging along 3 feet from my back bumper is still registered in the UK :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

Spardo:

Wheel Nut:

That depends whether that little car tagging along 3 feet from my back bumper is still registered in the UK :smiley:

Not at all, French reg for many years now and the same plate on the caravan. The reason is that it (the caravan) does not exceed 500kg gross. :laughing:

As an add on to this thread and several others related to trailer plates. I heard of 2 interesting cases this week.

Forgive me if it is a MMTM myth but it appears that a driver employed by us has been fined for showing only a French plate on his French trailer. This was on the M1 somewhere in the UK.

The same driver has also been done for showing a French and an English plate at the same time. This case is being held in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I do hope it is true because I will enjoy reading the arguments of the magistrates. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been advised to remove my UK plate in France when pulling the French trailers.

Wheel Nut:
As an add on to this thread and several others related to trailer plates. I heard of 2 interesting cases this week.

Forgive me if it is a MMTM myth but it appears that a driver employed by us has been fined for showing only a French plate on his French trailer. This was on the M1 somewhere in the UK.

The same driver has also been done for showing a French and an English plate at the same time. This case is being held in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I do hope it is true because I will enjoy reading the arguments of the magistrates. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been advised to remove my UK plate in France when pulling the French trailers.

Seems odd to remove the reg plate of the tractor. All Spanish trucks show the number of both the tractor and trailer on the trailer. I have also seen east europeans pulling norberts trailers showing both french and whoever elses number.

When I was working for Norbert ,I had a smart assed copper in the UK try to “do” me for having a different number on the tractor unit and trailer ,despite having a Carte Gris for both. Needless to say both were French registered.

Italians show tractor and trailer at back

kerbut:
When I was working for Norbert ,I had a smart assed copper in the UK try to “do” me for having a different number on the tractor unit and trailer ,despite having a Carte Gris for both. Needless to say both were French registered.

i had the reverse of that in germany when i got stopped and held up for about an hour because i had the same plate on the trailer as the unit…was taken to the station were it was checked out in a very big book and then because they were wrong i got sent on my way without getting done for speeding! the two policemen and two policewomen found it amusing because the cop on the bike that had stopped me was the boss who liked to go out on the bike on a nice day. :slight_smile: