Trailer number plates

Went into work today and was allocated a unit from another depot. As is the case with big fleets consecutive numbers are the norm. Now I had 568 without a plate but we had a spare one for 572. Some cosmetic surgery was performed and off I went. On return I was told that it was against the law to alter a number plate by one demi-god yet I had been sent out by another. I know the law has changed regarding the purchase of plates but does anybody know where I stand? It is bound to happen again.

Next time you are told to do that, refuse point-blank, and refer the person asking you to do it to the other manager.

Tell them that when they have sorted it out between themselves, they`ll find you in the canteen/rest-room :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

defect it and tell them to give you another unit.mind you judging by the amount of motors without them you’d proberbly get away without one…tut…tut

jon

Thats interesting Boxer. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: On my private trailer, lightweight behind the car type, I have modelled a slide in number plate holder as I went through a spell of lending it round family a while back. My number plate is a double sided stick on blank with my car reg on one side and blank on the reverse. If loaned I can make up a temporary plate using 1/2" black PVC tape. If thats illegal then I’m gonna be stuffed though I suspect that it’s more likely to be a grey area in law pending a test case. :confused: :unamused:

:astonished: Well boys, it is my understanding that very clear regulations are in force regarding the colour of number plates,and the size, type and spacing of the characters used to make up the relevant registration number. The drawback is that the rules have to be enforced. The only time this is likely to happen is if you have to stop outside a police office at an MSA and one of them has come outside for a breath of fresh air. All other offences are recorded by roadside cameras, ie speeding, dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, driving under the influence, threatening behaviour etc. Damned clever these cameras!!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I thought trailer plates had become an optional extra. I’m not sure if its just because I have become awear of it, but a small but noticable percentage of trailers have no number plate in view.

And there seems to be an uncanny link to those with no number plate and a deefective speed limiter…

Go figure!

John

I was once stopped on the M25 for having no plate on the trailer, The cop said “Congratulations for chalking the number on but unfortunately it’s the wrong number” …LOL

The worst thing you can say to a cop when stopped is “It must have fallen off” the cop will then probably do you for an insecure load.

Pat Hasler:
The worst thing you can say to a cop when stopped is “It must have fallen off” the cop will then probably do you for an insecure load.

Best thing to say is "I was in Liverpool yesterday Officer.

Them Scallies will steal anything!

“It was there last time I looked”

Vince

we had a guy sitting at a set of traffic lights.the traffic cops r sitting behind him as the truck pulled away his number plate fell off, the police pulled him over for not having a number plate on, the driver said it was on i put it on 5mins ago. the copper replied yes i know it fell off at the traffic lights back there, but i’m still going to book you for having an insecure number plate, the driver had a few chosen words as you would expect but as usual they fell on deaf ears. he got fined £40,( not a happy bunny). we had another driver booked £25 for a dirty number plate. also some drivers who run without plates think they won’t get caught did they ever think about the trailers they are pulling yes they have numbers on them. why give the police an excuse to pull you over, not that they will need one anyway. :laughing: :laughing:

:angry:

vince not happy with the stereotypical comments about liverpool.
i am a truck driver who lives in liverpool. and its people like you who get right up my nose. with your silly little comments about liverpool this city gets enough bad press mainly from southeners like your self. who have never set foot in the place.

very angry

ricky
from liverpool
capital of culture 2008
home of the beatles
two great football teams
two cathedrals

shall i go on■■?

In a recent edition of ultra-stylish magazine, Tatler, Liverpool, or “Livercool” as it was aptly named, was proclaimed England’s style capital 2003. Tatler’s editor Geordie Geig declared,

“It is a super-■■■■ and very exciting place. We are always ahead of the wave so soon the whole world will catch on that Liverpool is having another renaissance.”

Many people have already realised that the whole of Merseyside is undergoing an exciting economic, social and artistic explosion. Last year over 19 million people visited the area to experience its waterfront, lively shopping areas, cathedrals, world-renowned art galleries, as well as the sport and the nightlife,
As evidence of the area’s new dynamism Liverpool city centre’s population has more than tripled in the last 10 years and is forecast to double again in the next 5 years. The John Lennon airport is also the fastest growing in Europe.

The ultimate testamony to Merseyside’s vibrancy and development, however, was the announcement in the summer of 2003 that Liverpool has been named Capital of Culture 2008. One thing is for sure, there’s a lot going on in Merseyside making it a great place in which to invest, live and work.

Facts
Merseyside has a crime rate lower than London or Manchester.Merseyside has almost 30 miles of beaches, more than any other urban area in Britain.

More artists with a Merseyside origin have had a number one music hit, than any other region.

Liverpool has more Georgian buildings than Bath and more listed buildings (2,500 to be precise) than any other city in the UK, other than London.

The first British public park was Birkenhead Park (opened 1847). It was used as the model for Central Park in New York.

Liverpool is the most filmed British city outside London. It was used as the location for over 140 films last year.

The Albert Dock in Liverpool contains the largest group of grade one listed buildings in the country.
Find out more about:

Mmmm…right, getting back on topic, I used to work alongside a retired traffic cop, and I was pulling my stock car on a trailer without a plate and he told me that if you even make an effort to put a plate on, be it on a bit of cardboard or a chalked on plate, it will be looked on more favourably than no plate at all.
There will, of course, be exceptions.

Ricky,
Chill out a bit my friend. I think Vince may have been having a bit of a laugh with his comments, just like you were when you wrote that Liverpool has 2 great football teams, unless you meant Tranmere Rovers and Tranmere Rovers Reserves :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Before you ask I support Derby :blush:
Best Regards
Trev
PS. I`ve been to Liverpool quite a lot over the years, and always found the people to be helpful and friendly, apart from the dockers in the 70s. They tried their best to make deliveries nigh on impossible. Once spent 3 days doing 1 delivery there, but soon wised up by looking at the sailing date of the ship and trying to work my run so that I got there as near as possible to that date.

Trevor Parry:
Ricky,
Chill out a bit my friend. I think Vince may have been having a bit of a laugh with his comments, .

Well, exactly. But Ricky has a pride in his home-town (as I do in mine) and although I personally think he has slightly over-reacted, I will apologise if I have caused any offence.

Ricky, I have been to Liverpool. You mentioned the Albert Dock.

Me and Macca shook hands there after I had worked on his tour at the end of last summer. You might remember the gig.

Even more impressively, I have actually ridden a Liverpool Dock yo-yo, and that was probably the most terrifying experience of my life.

It was just a simple throwaway comedy comment, and I hope you can see that now.

Vince

I agree 100% with Ricky’s first paragraph. :open_mouth:

Up until a few years ago, it was almost a national sport to slag off us Scousers.I had hoped it was all behind us, but the image of us by some southerners obviously still persists! :slight_smile:

Why not bring the family for a weekend in 2004. I guarantee that you will not leave disappointed!

:smiley: :smiley:

Graham.

Deesider:
I agree 100% with Ricky’s first paragraph. :open_mouth:

It was a joke, ffs!

Take a chill pill, will you?

And if you ever find my hubcaps, could you post them back to me? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Trevor Parry:
Ricky,
I think Vince may have been having a bit of a laugh with his comments, just like you were when you wrote that Liverpool has 2 great football teams, unless you meant Tranmere Rovers and Tranmere Rovers Reserves

Woo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Best thing I’ve seen all year!

Talking of Liverpool,it reminds me of the comedy sketch Harry Enfield done years ago,as the “Green-Cross-Code” man in Liverpool.
“Hey kids,you shouldn’t cross the road between them parked cars.You should be breaking into them and nickin’ the stereo’s!!!”

And yes,I’ve been to the 'Pool aswell,and like most places in this country,it has good areas and bad areas, so CHILL OUT :sunglasses:

I thought Southport Utd were miles better than Tranmere Rovers…LOL :smiley: :smiley:

Dan.(a Suverner)!!

i think some people need to calm down here we all take pride in the place you come from. we all slag each other down in some way or another ie team you support, place you live but at the end of the day if you give it out then at least be man/woman enough to take it right back. have a thought for the irish out there they get more than their fare share, and by god they give back as good if not better than they get,so lads take it with a pinch of salt.i have to,just take a look at the scotland team. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well said,Kitkat. Maybe we should take note of your user name,and’ave a break :smiley:
But I’ll pass on the Scotland team,mate,for fear of splitting my sides… :smiley: :smiley: :unamused: :laughing:

Dan.