Trailer mudguard missing, help please

so, ended up at lincoln farm tonight, was told by the car park bloke, to park in farthest, darkest corner of yard, as i’m not starting till 630am. so, drove over, and spun round, ready to revese into spot, (not parked in this area before.) bit awkward to see, as the motor i’m parking next to still has headlights on, but i can make out where i need to be. turns out, this bit of truck park is new, basically mud, with not much than a layer of ■■■■■■■■ over the top of it, i only realised this, as my truck and its combined 42 ton gross, promptly sunk :unamused:
after i surveyed the damage, it also turn out where the ground is uneven, it pushed a trailer mudflap under the wheel whilst going back, on my nearside, and ripped the mudguard clean off :open_mouth:
not getting any better eh.
anyway, had a chat with the gaffer, who is a good a gold, and sorting getting me dragged off in morning, and apologised, as i shouldn’t hv been told to park on this bit!

so, bit of a pain, but ■■■■ happens.
now my lot will prob want me to “limp” the trailer back to yard, (2 hours) and as i don’t know the facts, am a bit concerned about this idea.
if vosa/police, see the trailer, minor 1 complete mudguard being driven down the motorway, does any one know the consequences■■?
i’m only guessing, but think a prohibition order and a fine, may be possible, does anyone know for sure???as if this is the case, i’m not moving till its repaired.

thanks for any help.

Tell vosa you had a blow out if you get tugged,tyre fitters don’t do mudwings :slight_smile:

Worst case a prohibition PG9,not sure about a fine.

chilistrucker:
so, ended up at lincoln farm tonight, was told by the car park bloke, to park in farthest, darkest corner of yard, as i’m not starting till 630am. so, drove over, and spun round, ready to revese into spot, (not parked in this area before.) bit awkward to see, as the motor i’m parking next to still has headlights on, but i can make out where i need to be. turns out, this bit of truck park is new, basically mud, with not much than a layer of ■■■■■■■■ over the top of it, i only realised this, as my truck and its combined 42 ton gross, promptly sunk :unamused:
after i surveyed the damage, it also turn out where the ground is uneven, it pushed a trailer mudflap under the wheel whilst going back, on my nearside, and ripped the mudguard clean off :open_mouth:
not getting any better eh.
anyway, had a chat with the gaffer, who is a good a gold, and sorting getting me dragged off in morning, and apologised, as i shouldn’t hv been told to park on this bit!

so, bit of a pain, but [zb] happens.
now my lot will prob want me to “limp” the trailer back to yard, (2 hours) and as i don’t know the facts, am a bit concerned about this idea.
if vosa/police, see the trailer, minor 1 complete mudguard being driven down the motorway, does any one know the consequences■■?
i’m only guessing, but think a prohibition order and a fine, may be possible, does anyone know for sure???as if this is the case, i’m not moving till its repaired.

thanks for any help.

report it to your boss, make out a defect. put on defect will be repaired on returning to depot. if you don,t and you get stopped you nwill get a proabition.

I may be wrong here and I’m sure somebody will soon correct me if so, what I would do (and as far I know is legal) would be ring the garage and book in the defect wright down the number of the garages defect page on your defect book and ask the garage to do the same with the number of your defect page. I used to work for TDG and was given a defect book in every wagon, I don’t have one at my current firm, but if you get the job number off the garage. Or something that proves you have booked the job in before setting off you should be fine. Please dint take this as gospel, an double check. Hope this helps in anyway shape or form.

Mark.

TheTaff is parked outside, white volvo with a fridge, could always ‘borrow’ one from his trailer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ok gents, thanks for replies.
we have daily defect books, so unless i see different on here, thats the route i will take in the morning, make a clear note of it, and phone our fitters before leaving here, to instruct them of said defect, and that i’m on my way to them.

just off outside with me spanners :wink:

dukeofdirt:
I may be wrong here and I’m sure somebody will soon correct me if so, what I would do (and as far I know is legal) would be ring the garage and book in the defect wright down the number of the garages defect page on your defect book and ask the garage to do the same with the number of your defect page. I used to work for TDG and was given a defect book in every wagon, I don’t have one at my current firm, but if you get the job number off the garage. Or something that proves you have booked the job in before setting off you should be fine. Please dint take this as gospel, an double check. Hope this helps in anyway shape or form.

Mark.

you don.t have a defect book and driving a lgv, what a profecional driver, law breaker. i take my hat off to you.

browncow2:

dukeofdirt:

Mark.

you don.t have a defect book and driving a lgv, what a profecional driver, law breaker. i take my hat off to you.

are you saying its against the law to not have a defect book in your truck :question:

employed drivers need daily defect books owner drivers don,t :smiley:

browncow2:

dukeofdirt:

Mark.

In over 20 years driving I’ve never even seen a defect book let alone filled one out. I happened to mention this to VOSA once and from the horses mouth they are not a legal requirement, simply ‘good practice’. All you have to do is report defects in writing. You can scribble it on your copy of ■■■■■■■ for all they care.

ady1:

browncow2:

dukeofdirt:

Mark.

are you saying its against the law to not have a defect book in your truck :question:

He is, and he’s wrong.
A defect reporting system is required.
A defect book in your truck is the recommended method, it isn’t mandatory.

For the price of a pint I’m so suprised more drivers don’t carry one of these in their kit bag. I always have.

tinyurl.com/5waa9dy

insufficient spray suppression carries a fine but if you’ve made a defect report then you’re probably going to be fine if you’re heading back to the depot

Steve-o:
insufficient spray suppression carries a fine but if you’ve made a defect report then you’re probably going to be fine if you’re heading back to the depot

Totally irrelevant to the thread, sorry OP, but its no wonder they say English is a difficult language to learn is it? Even some of our own can’t manage it, witnessed here at TNUK many times :laughing:

chilistrucker:
ok gents, thanks for replies.
we have daily defect books, so unless i see different on here, thats the route i will take in the morning, make a clear note of it, and phone our fitters before leaving here, to instruct them of said defect, and that i’m on my way to them.

just off outside with me spanners :wink:

You seem to be doing everything possible at your end to resolve the problem, I shouldn’t worry to much,

chilistrucker:
does any one know the consequences■■? i’m only guessing, but think a prohibition order and a fine, may be possible, does anyone know for sure???as if this is the case, i’m not moving till its repaired.

thanks for any help.

Steve-o:
insufficient spray suppression carries a fine

Driveroneuk:

Steve-o:

Totally irrelevant to the thread, sorry OP, but its no wonder they say English is a difficult language to learn is it? Even some of our own can’t manage it, witnessed here at TNUK many times :laughing:

■■

He’s talking about fine and fine having completely different meanings. Like mean and mean, and the difference between two, too and to. :smiley:

thanks again gents for the useful replies.
mate turned up this morning, and after some fannying around, we got some chains on, and managed to drag/drive it out. after a walk round inspection of the truck, seen that 1 tyre is badly damaged, and unfit to drive, tyre fitter just arrived to change it.
8am halesowen, slightly late then.
phoned work and kept them updated throughout, but they are just grumbling about the late delivery :unamused:
next time, i won’t bother, get a wrecker to sort it, sure they’ll be happy with the hefty callout charge :unamused:

In this situation I have always tied the mudflap back on with rope.

peterm:
He’s talking about fine and fine having completely different meanings. Like mean and mean, and the difference between two, too and to. :smiley:

Yes, what he said ^^