Trailer MOT

Is it a legal requirement for a trailer to display a valid MOT or is it OK to keep it in a draw and show it to drivers on request?

Either on the trailer or the driver holds a copy of it.

It says clearly on the MOT certificate, the disc MUST be displayed.

If not how could roadside checks see that it has MOT? So I guess you will sponsor the Queen if not displayed.
I can imagine that if the disc is missing, that temporarily a copy of the certificate would do.
That’s what I do with any trailer, have a copy in the document tube.

It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 to run a trailer without displaying a test disc and companies can be prosecuted for non-compliance.

I noticed the MOT disc missing on 1 of the trailers I was asked to take out went into the office asked about it but it was due its MOT did see a copy of it was told if stopped by vosa to call in they could confirm this as it was temp

At 1 time they would take them off road but on talking to the main depot & vosa that this was fine as long as it was temp

But normally a disc must be shown or a copy of the MOT

Having recently renewed most of the trailers at my spot I can confirm they won’t have a MOT disc for the first 12 months. Could it be a fairly new trailer?

Yes new trailers don’t need an MOT disc for 12 month, but you would be able too see on the plate if they are less than 12 month old.

Surely you could put a disc in say not not required till

Anyone having bother with the date fading away to nothing? Nearly all our trailers the dates fade. We even have velcro covers and they still fade

It’s written in pen so I just trace over it with a heavy pen, you think that’s an offence?

Best to have it on there but doubt they’d throw the book at you as they are well aware they fade to invisibility after about a fortnight.

So my car and van MOT are checked online/on a central data base, but trailers are not? VOSA really are up with it then?

merc0447:
Anyone having bother with the date fading away to nothing? Nearly all our trailers the dates fade. We even have velcro covers and they still fade
It’s written in pen so I just trace over it with a heavy pen, you think that’s an offence?

Good question ours are the same and they are behind sealed glass so it’s not possible to just trace over the date - are these still legal?

123smith:

merc0447:

Good question ours are the same and they are behind sealed glass so it’s not possible to just trace over the date - are these still legal?

Yes, they are, as they were issued. In fact, tracing one over with a biro, could be seen as tampering…