Trailer MOT

Some clarification please on the laws surrounding trailer MOT’s.

Scenario 1: Driver given written instructions (stick-it note !!) to deliver loaded shipping container to dock on trailer with expired MOT, then to drop trailer in local company depot for “MOT pre-check/prep” and subsequent MOT test.

Scenario 2: Trailer with expired MOT (3 days) is in customers yard with loaded shipping container 147 miles from company depot, driver instructed to bring loaded trailer back to depot for removal of container, “MOT pre-check/prep” and subsequent MOT test.
Traffic control, fleet and a company director/manager verbally sanction both vehicle movements.

Notes: Both occasions on night shift, neither company depots are MOT testing facilities or ATF’s.

Any help especially from a serving DVSA officer much appreciated…

as far as I know . No MOT no move , the only way it can be moved is to a pre booked place of testing same as any vehicle

Just to add you ( driver ) can incur heavy fines points and a visit to the TC

The only time you can move it without is as nick said, either to a pre arranged mot or to get work done on it after a mot failure. Going for a pre-mot inspection or to have the box removed would not count.
You can take it straight from customers to MOT with the box on.

m1cks:
The only time you can move it without is as nick said, either to a pre arranged mot or to get work done on it after a mot failure. Going for a pre-mot inspection or to have the box removed would not count.
You can take it straight from customers to MOT with the box on.

Better still if its loaded for the break test

How long are they out of test for?
The reason I say this is you have to remember that wagons and trailers don’t have a specific date like we do with cars,it’s done by the month.

ShropsBri:
How long are they out of test for?
The reason I say this is you have to remember that wagons and trailers don’t have a specific date like we do with cars,it’s done by the month.

Thats irrelevant, out of date is out of date.

No penalty points for no MOT.