Trailer mot discs

MOT discs are no longer being issued when a trailer has passed it’s MOT. So don’t get excited if it’s missing when you do your checks. To date, I haven’t been able to find an online MOT check site though I dare say it will soon be available if it isn’t already.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Your a bit late to the party Pete.

They were abolished on the 14th of this month and about time too.

Although I have conflicting stories about existing and non existing MOT discs.

The brief at work says DVSA will not issue any paperwork for not displaying a disc on a trailer after the 14th of this month.

Yet a colleague says he has spoken to DVSA and they said if it has a current disc then it has to be displayed and in date. If its had an MOT since the 14th then it’s fine to be missing as it won’t have been issued anyway.

I find it hard to believe they say if its a current MOT disc it has to be present but if new MOT then it doesn’t.

It does say we have to put NA on our ops check sheet for the MOT disc but as its a tick box for playing cert and MOT disc then that isn’t correct either although the ops check sheet will have the MOT disc removed at some point shortly.

Story of my life haha! But I haven’t seen it mentioned and I thought it was useful information.

Although I don’t absolutely know, it makes sense that existing discs remain as it correlates with the introduction of the new style certificate which I’m led to believe is computerised.

I can just imagine the number of ‘drivers’ thinking…“Wait… Trailers had MOT discs■■?” :open_mouth:

:laughing:

Chances of being able to read it is an entirely different matter, assuming you can actually find the blinking thing. Better hidden than the brake button on some trailers. :slight_smile:

Peter Smythe:

Although I don’t absolutely know, it makes sense that existing discs remain as it correlates with the introduction of the new style certificate which I’m led to believe is computerised.

DVSA Man: “There is no MOT cert on this trailer”

Me: “I know”

DVSA Man: “Well that’s against the rules - you are meant to have one”

Me: “How am I meant to know which trailers are meant to have them?”

DVSA Man: “Look on the MOT disk”

Me: “But the ones who have just had their MOT don’t have disks”

DVSA Man: “Well it should still have one”

Peter Smythe:

Story of my life haha! But I haven’t seen it mentioned and I thought it was useful information.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Yeah well worth mentioning as I didn’t even think about posting it myself when I found out.

I just understand it that if they have been abolished then no trailer should need
them any longer regardless of whether they are on date or not. It just seems a bit backwards.

RHA guidance notes.

Suggest using the online checker and taking a screenshot as evidence of current MOT on a trailer. Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File Annual-MOT-Test-Certificates-Trailer-Discs-v2.pdf

I can’t try it on an older or even a more recent trailer that has been MOT’d as I’m off for the week so don’t have access to the C numbers.

Great info.

So what does a mot disc looklike? :grimacing: :grimacing:
I kid I always check it…, well I have definitely checked it at some point… This year… I think… Might of been last year…