Trailer licence question

Hi there folks
After much trawling of various websites, forums and yesterdays newspaper, I have failed to get a definitive answer…

A colleague has grandfather rights to drive up to 7.5t and maximum train weight of 8250 kg i.e. 7500kg + 750kg.
He want to use a 7.5t vehicle downrated to 6t to drag a 2.25t MAM tailer. Train weight of 8250kg.
All good so far, no major problem.

But, the question is, if he were to do his trailer (+E) test, could he drive a 7.5t with a 3.5t braked trailer? Train weight of 11t.

My research says yes he can, but “his mate told him, he read on a forum etc” he reckons not.
So, the Saturday night question, should you choose to accept…

If he were to do his trailer (+E) test in a suitable vehicle, could he drive a 7.5t with a 3.5t braked trailer?
(providing the trailer at 3.5t was inside the maximum train weight of the chosen towing vehicle).

Have a good evening.
Paul.

PS
Have a look at other the other thread:

I have C (and D) + E so it’s not a problem for me if I have to drive… :imp:

sonflowerinwales:
Hi there folks
After much trawling of various websites, forums and yesterdays newspaper, I have failed to get a definitive answer…

A colleague has grandfather rights to drive up to 7.5t and maximum train weight of 8250 kg i.e. 7500kg + 750kg.
He want to use a 7.5t vehicle downrated to 6t to drag a 2.25t MAM tailer. Train weight of 8250kg.
All good so far, no major problem.

But, the question is, if he were to do his trailer (+E) test, could he drive a 7.5t with a 3.5t braked trailer? Train weight of 11t.

My research says yes he can, but “his mate told him, he read on a forum etc” he reckons not.
So, the Saturday night question, should you choose to accept…

If he were to do his trailer (+E) test in a suitable vehicle, could he drive a 7.5t with a 3.5t braked trailer?
(providing the trailer at 3.5t was inside the maximum train weight of the chosen towing vehicle).

Have a good evening.
Paul.

PS
Have a look at other the other thread:
Driving a private 7.5t truck in Europe - EURO DRIVING FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK
I have C (and D) + E so it’s not a problem for me if I have to drive… :imp:

Simple answer is yes, I used to drive this combination before I got my C+E back, and been stopped on many occasions by both vosa and the police and given a clean bill of health license wise

Thanks Scottie
I’ll get you a virtual beer, if you don’t mind me having a real one…
Paul

Yes. C1+E removes the 107 code and gives you up to the GTW of the truck. Normally 11t :slight_smile:

Top man Nobby, all I need to do now is convince him to do the trailer test.
Time for another virtual beer…
Paul