Trailer legs

Can any one tell me why, (i think its rugby cement) have trailer legs that sort of fold away, from what i can gather they seem to operate by some sort of brake chambers. What is the reason for this?

bugcos:
Can any one tell me why, (i think its rugby cement) have trailer legs that sort of fold away, from what i can gather they seem to operate by some sort of brake chambers. What is the reason for this?

If they stuck in cement they might be hard to wind up :exclamation: :confused: :confused: :confused: :question: :laughing:

thought it might be summat like that rog.

bugcos:
thought it might be summat like that rog.

I was JOKING :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - there must be a more logical reason

Weight■■? They are probably just fold away legs that will only support an empty trailer.

Somewhere there is another post about fuel tanker combinations with no legs. they just service the lot together or drop the tank on a trestle.

used to bring tilts from Helsinki with a similar system, except these were just mechanical and folded by hand.
maybe something to do clearing tail lights on close coupled rigs?

del949:
used to bring tilts from Helsinki with a similar system, except these were just mechanical and folded by hand.
maybe something to do clearing tail lights on close coupled rigs?

THAT sounds logical

if a powder tank has folding legs then i think its because they are placed on a trestle for movement by rail. i know one of the cement companies (not mine) moves some loaded road tanks by rail :wink:

elf n shafety mate

it is an idea dreamed up by an outfit in crewe the idea being it will cut out a bit of the risk when coupling and uncoupling trailers

ie hook up to trailer ■■■■■■ it hook up air lines (the legs go up automatticly when red air line is attached ) walk aorund back in the cab and away you go

a good idea really a deffinate bonus if you are using lots of trailers every day

When I worked on the Fuel tankers a few years ago they did away with the legs on trailers to get extra product on board. Just meant that we couldn’t do a trailer change !

just found this site

autolegs-by-chk.co.uk

10% weight saving, and allows you to park em closer together and saves the driver wear and tear on his back ( someone actually looking out for drivers :open_mouth:

M&S introduced battery powered landing legs, again so they could park them closer together,

I think they stopped when they realised it was costing more to repair trailers after they had been damaged trying to get trailers into tight spaces :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bring back the Scammell coupling !!!

Bring back the Scammell coupling !!!

No way… there would be unaccompanied trailers on every road!! :laughing:

Took a picture of one this week

I’ve seen the fold away type legs before on short trailers and I seem to remember they were like that so the legs could be mounted further forward, therefore less chance of the trailer tipping up when being loaded. ?