Trailer legs jammed solid

First day out yesterday everything went fine many thanks to all for advice on coupling was most helpful, had one thing go ■■■■ up i coupled up lifted suspension to take weight off trailer legs but were it had been dropped then loaded the legs were solid and I ended snapping handle clean off when trying to wind them up, when the trailer had been it was so high lifting unit suspension made no difference at all, I tried lifting air in trailer as well still made no difference any tips folks would be good cheers tony

If there’s resistance it’s for a reason, lack of lube being one of many.

Try lowering or raising the legs with slow gear on the handle. Will take a while as the movement is minimal but should do the trick eventually.

Topcat1522:
I tried lifting air in trailer as well

That would make it worse.
Assuming you tried lower gear setting on landing legs btw…or they could have been bent.

When I’ve picked up trailers off boats dropped far too high by Terbergs, with a low ride unit, I’ve even had to back on to blocks to gain height sometimes.

low gear and gumption…job done. if its extreme,shoogle it back and forward slightly and see if it helps so long as its minimal and the feet arnt dug in.then call your office and pass the buck. nothing else you can do really?

Low gear

toonsy:

Try lowering or raising the legs with slow gear on the handle. Will take a while as the movement is minimal but should do the trick eventually.

F’narr! F’narr! :laughing:

Rjan:

toonsy:

F’narr! F’narr! :laughing:

Yay someone got my smutty innuendo :laughing:

I’ll not mention greasing up the ■■■■■■■ :open_mouth:

robroy:

Topcat1522:

Assuming you tried lower gear setting on landing legs btw…or they could have been bent.

When I’ve picked up trailers off boats dropped far too high by Terbergs, with a low ride unit, I’ve even had to back on to blocks to gain height sometimes.

Raising the trailer suspension would not make the problem worse, it would definately help and is always worth a try.
I’m assuming the OP is a recent start on artics, and while some of you have quite correctly suggested using the low gear option for raising the legs, he might not know what to do.

Here beginneth the lesson!!

The spindle which protrudes from the gearbox at the top of the leg, and which the cranking handle is attached to, is able to slide in and out horizontally. All the ones I have come across, work in the same way.
That is, pulling the shaft out towards you engages high gear which is what can normally be used, whilst pushing it away from you, towards the trailer, engages the low speed gear. If you use the low ratio when in the situation you found yourself you will be able to lift or lower the trailer as required.
This cranking takes a long time, and will be attended by much perspiring and questioning the parentage of the ■■■■■■ who dropped the trailer, but you will get there.
Hope that helps, good luck whatever.

robroy:

Topcat1522:

Why would that make it worse? Raising either end of the trailer will take weight off the legs (provided the other end is supported, naturally). Raise either end far enough and it will lift the legs clear of the ground. Raise both ends and you’ll get the maximum clearance under the legs.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

robroy:

Topcat1522:

Why would that make it worse? Raising either end of the trailer will take weight off the legs (provided the other end is supported, naturally). Raise either end far enough and it will lift the legs clear of the ground. Raise both ends and you’ll get the maximum clearance under the legs.

Many thanks peeps for all the comments this site is a god send for newbies lots of experience to call on :smiley:

One thing that’s not been mentioned is the possibility that the legs are foreign. A few of ours have been fitted with some make from Germany and they wind the wrong way so you end up looking a ■■■ by trying to wind them down instead of up or visa versa. Forkies never understand. :slight_smile:

Glad someone has taught the op about lifting the suspension as I see [and help] many supposedly experienced drivers struggling and not knowing about that one. I guess if you started without air suspension it might not be something they’d ever come across.

With regards the legs being too high - that’s a problem often when people shunt the trailer around by lifting the suspension and only partly wind the legs up, then forget to reset the suspension when they drop the trailer and wind the legs down. Leaves it hanging in midair. One thing that might help is lifting the midlift wheels (if applicable) before you go under as this seems to lift the whole unit a few inches on many.

Let me stick my oar in and i’ve encountered this several times. The OP said the handle was solid and i’ve had them like that when it tries to engage low and high at the same time. Had to make sure the shaft was all the way in or all the way out.

Talking of handles, after trailer is dropped i wonder what is the popular practice, handle in cradle or let it dangle ?

remy:
Let me stick my oar in and i’ve encountered this several times. The OP said the handle was solid and i’ve had them like that when it tries to engage low and high at the same time. Had to make sure the shaft was all the way in or all the way out.

Talking of handles, after trailer is dropped i wonder what is the popular practice, handle in cradle or let it dangle ?

I let mine dangle free all the time :blush: but as for the handle I do try to put back in the cradle unless I’m coming back to trailer my self

blue estate:
I let mine dangle free all the time :blush: but as for the handle I do try to put back in the cradle unless I’m coming back to trailer my self

Which side do you dress to, Errol?

Roymondo:

robroy:

Topcat1522:

If he lifted the back of the trailer up would that not have put more down pressure on the legs?

Edit… Hang on, …I’ve read it again and he did lift the front of the trailer up first.

trevHCS:
With regards the legs being too high - that’s a problem often when people shunt the trailer around by lifting the suspension and only partly wind the legs up, then forget to reset the suspension when they drop the trailer and wind the legs down. Leaves it hanging in midair.

The most common reason for a trailer being dropped too high (at our place at least) is when it was dropped by a Scania with the midlift up. There are even (allegedly) a few “fannies in a Scanny” that have reportedly then lifted the air on their units to intentionally drop the trailer too high for the other non Scania units to struggle to get under (and a few airkits have suffered the consequences of an unobservant driver or two). This was put down to depot specific snobbery and whilst it’s rare now it does still happen occasionally though it may be genuinely accidental now who knows, but when you go under a trailer in a MAN with the air fully up and your still shy of the rubbing plate by a few inches you can’t help but wonder if it was intentional.

trevHCS:
One thing that might help is lifting the midlift wheels (if applicable) before you go under as this seems to lift the whole unit a few inches on many.

I believe that is a Scania specific trait (unsurprisingly as they are bags of [zb]) when you lift the midlift on a Scania it actually lifts the whole arse end a few inches, I assume because the crap designers couldn’t get the midlift to clear enough by just lifting the mids out of the way even though all the other manufacturers managed it just fine.

Another reason for a high front would be the air being dumped or leaking out of the trailer and the arse end of the trailer lowering causing a pendulum effect at the legs thus raising the nose and with it the pin, this is when stopping short of the pin and connecting the red airline and then lifting the trailer (or just waiting a couple of minutes for the air to build and fill the reservoir and airbags if there is no leveller lever on the trailer) helps bring the nose back down, just remember to check that the trailer brake button is pulled out (applied) before you attach the red airline.

Reef:

trevHCS:
With regards the legs being too high - that’s a problem often when people shunt the trailer around by lifting the suspension and only partly wind the legs up, then forget to reset the suspension when they drop the trailer and wind the legs down. Leaves it hanging in midair.

The most common reason for a trailer being dropped too high (at our place at least) is when it was dropped by a Scania with the midlift up. There are even (allegedly) a few “fannies in a Scanny” that have reportedly then lifted the air on their units to intentionally drop the trailer too high for the other non Scania units to struggle to get under.

The depot I work at run 5 or 6 Scanias and we have in particular one Scanny driver who thinks it big and clever to do this. His problems start when I’m shunting as I watch him do it ('cos that’s what us shunters do :smiley: ) , I then find out the trailer number he’s picking up the next morning, go find it, lift it with the tug and wind the legs as far down as they’ll go! Live by the sword etc…

the maoster:

Reef:

trevHCS:

The most common reason for a trailer being dropped too high (at our place at least) is when it was dropped by a Scania with the midlift up. There are even (allegedly) a few “fannies in a Scanny” that have reportedly then lifted the air on their units to intentionally drop the trailer too high for the other non Scania units to struggle to get under.

The depot I work at run 5 or 6 Scanias and we have in particular one Scanny driver who thinks it big and clever to do this. His problems start when I’m shunting as I watch him do it ('cos that’s what us shunters do :smiley: ) , I then find out the trailer number he’s picking up the next morning, go find it, lift it with the tug and wind the legs as far down as they’ll go! Live by the sword etc…

:smiley:

thumbs up pic

Dangle…

No reason whatsoever to stow it on a dropped trailer.

No Terberg available? If that fails a fork lift?

If the legs are bent, you will have a hell of a time of it.