Trailer inspections

HELLO, I CURRENTLY RUN TWO TRAILERS (FLAT TRI’S) AND I USE THEM ON CONSECUTIVE DAYS, BECAUSE THE MILEAGE PER WEEK IS EFFECTIVELY HALVED WOULD THE POWERS THAT BE :unamused: :unamused: CONSIDER THE 6 WEEKLY INPECTION TO BE LENGTHENED TO 8 OR EVEN 10 WEEKS. ANY REPLY WOULD HELP, THANKS.

In a word, NO. Doesn’t matter if they don’t turn a wheel between 6 weekly inspections, still have to inspect them.

Silver_Surfer:
In a word, NO. Doesn’t matter if they don’t turn a wheel between 6 weekly inspections, still have to inspect them.

Hi Silver_Surfer, whilst the requirement for inspections never goes away exactly as you suggested, it’s perfectly possible that sampopmat can apply to the TC for the trailer inspection period to be extended.
IMHO, he/she has a perfecly valid reason for asking, and that request might be granted as long as the reason for the request is made clear to the TC. The worst that can happen is that the TC doesn’t grant the permission, so there’s no harm in asking.

There’s no point spending money when it’s not absolutely necessary, if all it takes is to ask the TC a simple question and provide a good explanation. One of my clients has 8-weekly inspection periods based on doing small weekly mileages and had no problem with the TC in gaining that permission. It’s been recorded on his ‘O’ licence and is perfectly legal. When VOSA did their site-visit, the inspection period was noted by the officer, but did not cause any problems, because it was correctly authorised. As with most other things, keeping the TC in the loop and getting their blessing is vital to the legality of the operation. :smiley:

Nice one Diesel, gave them a call today and basically they agreed to allow me to extend the inspection intervals on my trailers, thanks allot lads. :stuck_out_tongue:

sampopmat:
Nice one Diesel, gave them a call today and basically they agreed to allow me to extend the inspection intervals on my trailers, thanks allot lads. :stuck_out_tongue:

WOW… result. :grimacing:

52 / 6 = 8.6 inspections per year, whereas…

52 / 8 = 6.5 inspections per year… As they say, Every little helps. :stuck_out_tongue:

… but, I’d make sure that you have that in writing, or at least a reference number, just in case the person you spoke to didn’t update the system straight away. You can never be too careful mate. :wink:

dieseldave:
Hi Silver_Surfer, whilst the requirement for inspections never goes away exactly as you suggested, it’s perfectly possible that sampopmat can apply to the TC for the trailer inspection period to be extended.
IMHO, he/she has a perfecly valid reason for asking, and that request might be granted as long as the reason for the request is made clear to the TC. The worst that can happen is that the TC doesn’t grant the permission, so there’s no harm in asking.

Thats perfectly correct, when I specified my operators licence i put units on 6 weekly and trailers on 8 weekly, licence was granted without it ever being mentioned, it could even be stretched further on occasions

Yeah, I meant to put you could apply to vosa to have them lengthened, didn’t read the post properly, apologies. If it states 6 weeks on your licence then 6 weeks it is even if they don’t move is what I was getting at.

When I first started on the mixers, I put down 6 weekly inspections, after a month or so VOSA guy comes out to have a look at the truck, paperwork, tap the wheelnuts etc, all fine, after over a coffee and a ‘chat’ he asked why I was doing 6 week inpections, when I could have had 8 week ones, explained it was because we were doing a lot of off road work rather than a lot of m/way mileage…

Was praised for my decision, but he would have been happy for me to have 8 weekly ones…