Trailer Height

Are 5th wheels a standard height on different units?My trailer height this morning was 14/9 and clears the 14/9 bridge on A37 at littleton.Since then I have had to put on a hire unit on and want to go that way in the morning?Can i safely assume the trailer height is the same?I hope so :open_mouth:
Help please

If in doubt, get a tape measure and measure it :smiley:

To answer your question… im not 100% certain myself.

Doesnt the trailers always state that there that certain height if based on a 1280mm 5th wheel or tehreabouts? Also what wagon you driving? I have noticed when teh middle axle is up on a Scania it tends to make the 5th wheel sit heigher??

But if in doubt whats 5mins with a tape masure to get a rough idea?

Are 5th wheels a standard height on different units?

Absolutely not! The typical ‘standard’ is between 1250mm and 1350mm (that is 1.25 and 1.35 metres). It depends on many factors like the tyre sizes, chassis position and the make of the fifth wheel.

Also will be affected by the air suspension control on the unit (if it has it) and what has been programmed as ‘normal’.

So as Big Jon says, measure it. No tape-measure? Buy yourself a 16-foot-plus (5.5 metre) steel retractable tape for next time! :smiley:

Took a boat on a low loader which was 14’ 11" (measured) and we knew there was a bridge marked 14’ 9" on our only route. At the time the driver had heard a rumour that the local boatyard had previously got 15’ under it, so we took a VERY slow chance and JUST got under it. :open_mouth:

Don’t chance it though, measure it every time if in doubt.

Not all fith wheel heights are the same do you’ll need to check it
If your height is say 2.43mt on a 1.56 fith wheel and ur fifth wheel is 1.65 you’ll need to add 0.09 to the height so it’ll be 2.52

For example purpos only

Cheers for the help :sunglasses:

scottishcruiser:
Doesnt the trailers always state that there that certain height if based on a 1280mm 5th wheel or tehreabouts?

No, not all trailers state their height on a certain height 5th wheel.

Very few trailers state their height at all.

Cheapest and best bit of kit you will ever buy is a tape measure. Dont forget even an identical truck and trailer can vary in height dependant on where the load is sat or if it is loaded slightly different. Buy a long stick too, measure the stick against the trailer and then add the 2 measurements from the floor up

might seem daft but i use those lightweight tent poles that fold up , murder trying to get a tape measure up in a wind :stuck_out_tongue:

Try and measure it empty. The last thing you need is to get to a drop, get the load off, and find the whole thing is now 2 inches taller than the bridge you went under to get there.
Unless you do oversize loads, it’ll always be lower when it’s loaded.

And the tent-poles idea is a very smart one.

the poles have helped me out a few times. i know the length fully extended and what length each section is, like i said its pure murder trying to extend a tape measure in wind and rain :wink:

Flipside

Avoided the bridge this morning with a 30 min detor.Got her measured up empty later and came in at 14.8 and a half so i would of cleared the 14.9 bridge i reckon,14.9 is the max height allowed under init?Not height of bridge :sunglasses:

this may be of some use to you.
remember,it is the drivers responsibility to know the height of his/her vehicle at all times.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ht=#449962

a triangular sign warns
so if bridge is marked 4.5metres and your trailer runs at 4.5
then thats not gonna work

if the sign is round and says 4.5 metres you should be ok
because the round signs prohibit things

in this case no vehicles over 4.5metres

the smaller Argos trailers run at 3.9metres but thats on their own small trucks
you start pulling one with a 6 wheel tractor it’ll be a lot higher

hitch:
a triangular sign warns
so if bridge is marked 4.5metres and your trailer runs at 4.5
then thats not gonna work

if the sign is round and says 4.5 metres you should be ok
because the round signs prohibit things

in this case no vehicles over 4.5metres

the smaller Argos trailers run at 3.9metres but thats on their own small trucks
you start pulling one with a 6 wheel tractor it’ll be a lot higher

If sign says 4.5 then a 4.5 will be ok :slight_smile:

Cheers for all the pointers.I made the bridge if any one was curious.Not enough gap between me trailer roof and the bridge for even a news paper though :open_mouth:

Sorry to come back to this thread but does any one know where i can find a gb road atlas with all the bridge heights on it(not wh s’s-rip off)

nobby003:
Sorry to come back to this thread but does any one know where i can find a gb road atlas with all the bridge heights on it(not wh s’s-rip off)

there you go nobby a tenner and its yours

Good work Gonzo,I looked on there but not well enough- obviously.In me basket