Trailer height problem

on Friday evening I was taking a trailer from the north side of Dublin to dublin port to be shipped.
The trailer was a 4.65m curtainsider and I planned to go through the port tunnel as it has a height restriction of 4.65m so I figured It should be alright, but when I approached the tunnel It triggered the emergency system that stops the traffic from entering the tunnel and I had to stop.
one of the security guards came over and said that the trailer was too high and that I was going to have to go through the city.
i don’t know why it was to high and id like to find out for future reference so if anyone can come up with an explanation i would appreciate it.
the unit was a Volvo fh and the lift axel was down.

Did you measure your trailer height or just go by what written
on the front of the trailer :question: .

fingermissing:

went by what was written on the trailer.

jay0:

fingermissing:

Might be a good idea to measure your trailer in future .I have found what written on the front
of trailer is often wrong.

The accuracy of what’s written on the trailer will be dependent on the fifth wheel height, so unless you know the height of the fifth wheel you’re guessing the trailer height anyway.

fingermissing:

jay0:

fingermissing:

Might be a good idea to measure your trailer in future .I have found what written on the front
of trailer is often wrong.

i will measure it from now on. lesson learned :blush:

Out of curiosity. Was it a scania unit?

If so, drop the mid lift.

Scratch that. Just seen the op. The only other thing is if the ride height had not been reset.

:blush:

Out of interest, what do you guys use to measure the height of trailers? I’ve seen car transports that have the wooden fold up measuring stick type things, obviously its a constant issue in that line of work. I’ve basically always pulled tilts/euroliners that have been 4.0m high, or a tad higher on a UK 5th wheel and never really needed to worry about it.
I know that if I were back in the UK now and one day had a higher UK spec trailer thrust upon me to take somewhere, I’d have nothing with me that I could physically measure with. I’ve tried doing it with a tape measure before but they always kink and fall down before a reading can be taken.

This happens regularly if you are on the North side of the tunnel for some reason. I’m sure that the height detector is set slightly too low as our 15’ 2" trailers seem to set it off that way through but not coming out of the port

Don’t worry about it I’ve never heard of anyone being fined for this but it gives you the headache of getting through town from the exit just by the tunnel. As far as I know there is no longer a legal way around and you have to go through a no 5 axles zone to get back to the bottom of the Malahide road

Laser measuring thingy no good?

I can’t think if anything else besides getting in the roof if the trailer and throwing a tape over

i don`t measure the trailer…I know what my 5th wheel height is,and then set my height indicator to what is wrote on the trailer.
if the trailer mfr doesn’t know how tall the trailer is…■■■■ it

If it’s any comfort to the OP the southbound trigger, A36 just north of Salisbury for the 12’ 6" bridge, gets triggered by caravans!

:
If it’s any comfort to the OP the southbound trigger, A36 just north of Salisbury for the 12’ 6" bridge, gets triggered by caravans!

Don’t you mean the 14’ bridge ?

bald bloke:

:

Don’t you mean the 14’ bridge ?

Yes I do, the trailer is 12’ 6" and sets it off along with caravans too, I must concentrate more whilst trying to type and drink coffe and when on the move, to put the coffee down :blush: :blush:

robinhood_1984:
Out of interest, what do you guys use to measure the height of trailers? I’ve seen car transports that have the wooden fold up measuring stick type things, obviously its a constant issue in that line of work. I’ve basically always pulled tilts/euroliners that have been 4.0m high, or a tad higher on a UK 5th wheel and never really needed to worry about it.
I know that if I were back in the UK now and one day had a higher UK spec trailer thrust upon me to take somewhere, I’d have nothing with me that I could physically measure with. I’ve tried doing it with a tape measure before but they always kink and fall down before a reading can be taken.

You don’t really need to measure the full trailer, most trailers will say 15’6" based on a 1270mm 5th wheel, so you just measure from the floor to the bottom of the trailer around where the 5th wheel is.

robinhood_1984:

Buy a fatter tape!