Trailer Faults

Afternoon Folks,
Just a quick question?
After coupling up to a trailer today i got a fault display on my dash saying “Trailer EBS Failure” in RED. This only came on with my igniton, once the engine was started the warning went out, does this mean the fault is no longer on my trailer? :confused:
Cheers Smokinbarrels :smiley:

Yes…only stop if your moving and the red light comes on.

truckyboy:
Yes…only stop if your moving and the red light comes on.

TBH I’d not even stop then. You’ll notice that when its on, there’s not the annoying warning buzzer accompanying it to make you stop driving as there are with other red lights. It’s only the electronic brake system on the trailer that’s incompatible with the unit. The brakes will work fine, you’ll just not get the benefits of EBD…a bit like driving without ABS.

I just disconnect the ebs lead, light goes out and bobs your uncle, or in my case, bobs my brother

woody2808:
I just disconnect the ebs lead, light goes out and bobs your uncle, or in my case, bobs my brother

Hmm, and i wonder what Mr or Mrs VOSA would say about that in a spot check? Book, throw & heavy come to mind.

SB: it comes on with the ignition as with all warning lights, as a check that the w/light itself works.

Amber ABS warning lights can signify an incompatability. Often they will stay on either until you brake (so should go out as soon as you do you’re moving brake check) or (more often) when you reach about 10kph.

A RED light is serious & should be defected/reported to traffic office & workshop (for advice) immediately.

Had an interesting indicator fault last week, they would work for three flashes then stop and a warning would come up saying ‘trailer indicator bulb failure’, pressing hazard button that reset the system until next time had to use indicators :exclamation:

Had a Stralis the other day that was registering the EBS fault plus telling me that none of the lights were working on the trailer when clearly they were.

I believe Stralis are known for electrical faults.

No doubt Lucy will be along soon to confirm that.

Driveroneuk:

No doubt Lucy will be along soon to confirm that.

Yeah they are FIAT’s trucks :unamused:

Driveroneuk:

Understatement of the year!

im driving a 54 reg magnum and when i connect it up to an older trailer i get an orange warning light. Apparently its because of ABS and EBS??