Trailer coupling question

Hi I have been driving artics for a few months now, today I picked up unit and off I got to pick up trailer, this question my stupid of my side because I have been driving artics before but you learn something new every day, anyway as you I was picking up fridge so had to make sure that the break was on reverse a bit in connected suzies and start backing in I can feel that the pin is in but no clunking noise from coupling :frowning: so drive a bit forward and try again still nothing, so apply the handbreak and got out I knew that I didn’t mist the pin everything looks normal, after few sec I decided to push the lever in and it got in place, so whent back to truck 2 pulls and everything looks fine, next got out and whent to look for the safety clip or what ever you guys name this and is not there ■■? the system it was the one that you have bit of wire that you pull and then you can pull the handle to split I hope you know what I mean also there is hole there where you put the clip in and the only way you can pull the bit of wire if you remove the clip, the question is should the clip be there■■? or not simply due to only you can drop the trailer if you pull the wire and then the handle and do the tractor unit should connect to trailer with out pushing the handle in, only asking this as I never had this problem before and want some advice, hope some one could be kind to share he’s/her view :wink:

I think that hole is there on most 5th wheels some of ours have the handle within a handle system and they dont have the safety clips in. I assume its normal as in reality the middle handle has to move out before the main pulling handle can release the pin which is very unlikely to happen. Where as those with just a spring plate require a safety clip. Thats how i understand it anyways mate.But if i have to push the handle in for my own peace of mind i pull away a bit and re-back up a bit harder to make sure i have it. Normally its to much greese inside the 5th wheel which hinders the handle clicking in properly. I scrape mine out every now and then keep that bit clear. At least you got out and checked you didnt overshoot :smiley:

What is it with people on this forum attempting to beat the world record for the longest sentence? :unamused:

I’ve no idea what you’re asking as you seem to have about four different questions rolled into one.

The bit about the pin not engaging is common problem on DAFs and Volvos. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you adjust the unit suspension or how many times you try, it just won’t engage. You’ve got to jump out and push the lever over to the left and then it will spring inwards. Jump back in the cab and try again and you’ll hear it engage, but make sure you give it a good tug test to be sure (after raising the trailer legs off the ground so you don’t bend them).

Regarding the L-shaped safety clip, I seem to recall there was a discussion on these forums about those some years ago and it was discovered that many trucks lack the dogclip but it isn’t actually a defect as long as the spring works on the L-shaped bit. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Rob K:
What is it with people on this forum attempting to beat the world record for the longest sentence? :unamused:

I’ve no idea what you’re asking as you seem to have about four different questions rolled into one.

The bit about the pin not engaging is common problem on DAFs and Volvos. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you adjust the unit suspension or how many times you try, it just won’t engage. You’ve got to jump out and push the lever over to the left and then it will spring inwards. Jump back in the cab and try again and you’ll hear it engage, but make sure you give it a good tug test to be sure (after raising the trailer legs off the ground so you don’t bend them).

Regarding the L-shaped safety clip, I seem to recall there was a discussion on these forums about those some years ago and it was discovered that many trucks lack the dogclip but it isn’t actually a defect as long as the spring works on the L-shaped bit. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

30 years for a minor train robbery is the longest I know,aside from my marriage. :wink:

The bit everyone preaches about is, cant or shouldn’t do it like that, its elf an safedy :wink:

Coupling procedure for standard semi - trailers (where there is room to operate safely between the rear of the tractor cab and the front of the semi trailer)

• Slowly reverse the tractor unit in a straight line towards the front of the trailer.
  • Apply the tractor unit parking brake, stop the engine and remove the keys.
  • Check the trailer parking brake is applied.
  • Make any necessary adjustments to the trailer coupling height and slowly reverse the tractor unit under the trailer until the 5th wheel jaws engage. (if they do not, investigate and give the lever a bunch)
  • Carry out a visual check that the 5th wheel jaws have engaged correctly and fit the security “dog clip” or other safety device.
  • Carry out a second test that the 5th wheel jaws have engaged by selecting a low forward gear and with the trailer brakes still applied slowly pulling forward. after raising the suspension a tad to prevent bending the legs for the next man.
  • Connect the service airline (yellow) and electrical connections.
  • Connect the emergency airline (red) and watch for any unexpected movement. (If the trailer moves, immediately disconnect the emergency airline (red) and check that the trailer parking brake has been applied.
  • Fully wind up the landing legs and secure the handle.
  • Fit the number plates and check that the lights work.
  • Carry out visual and functional vehicle checks, and release the trailer handbrake before setting off.

Along with the red text, they are the rules that the H&SE want you to follow, but notice the bit in underlined italics. I disagree about removing the keys at that point.

It is not written how I would do it, but my circle checks cover the same points.

The law about dog clips used to be : If there is a dog clip it has to secure the FW arm. If there is no dog clip then just make sure the arm is in locked position.

harry:
The law about dog clips used to be : If there is a dog clip it has to secure the FW arm. If there is no dog clip then just make sure the arm is in locked position.

Dog clips are a British disease Harry, well Britain and Newcastle. where you have to get out of your cab and physically check the clip is fastened even when you have driven from Peterhead or Perpignan

Rob K:
What is it with people on this forum attempting to beat the world record for the longest sentence?

I would respectfully suggest that you give ‘malenki22’ a break, his user name indicates that English is not his first language. If he were writing in his first language then I’m sure his punctuation and grammar would be perfect! I think he’s done a pretty good job of conveying his question.

Bob

Thanks for reply, I will try to keep simple next time :confused: the main question was should the safety clip be there or is it defect? and why the fifth wheel was not locking in. I never had a problem like that so I wasn’t sure

lumpygreenpoo:

Rob K:
What is it with people on this forum attempting to beat the world record for the longest sentence?

I would respectfully suggest that you give ‘malenki22’ a break, his user name indicates that English is not his first language. If he were writing in his first language then I’m sure his punctuation and grammar would be perfect! I think he’s done a pretty good job of conveying his question.

Bob

So Rob k does have an idea what malenki22 was asking as he then goes on to answer the questions in his next sentence! Grammar and punctuation is not persons strongpoint. Comments such as his IMO just deter people from posting.

Aye obv the OP’s first language is not English and if thats the case he’s got a talent, I wish I could speak a second language that well!

Coupling and uncoupling are the most important things in a drivers day, get it wrong and it can cause mayhem, so anyone who has a question about something to do with it, should be answered politely and given every help, remember, it might be your unit that gets wiped out on the motorway if somebody gets it wrong and loses a trailer.
Now if I am in any doubt about the security of my trailer, i will start the whole procedure again. Yes, occasionally the handle doesn’t lock in, and you have to do it manually, what i do then, (H&S look away now :wink: ) is duck under the trailer and visually check that the locking arm has engaged, every driver who works in hours of darkness should carry a torch, so no problem with time of day etc.

Hmmm
I had the same problem the other night,when I was working for Wickes. Backed under the trailer,raised the suspension,to make sure I had ‘contact’ and went fully under
 No usual ‘bang’ as the handle goes in
 That’s strange I thought. So I gets out and checks and the handle HAD gone in and the little L shaped thingie was down. I didn’t trust it tho’,so I pulled the handle,pulled forward a bit and tried again,with more pressure on the fifth wheel
 Still no ‘bang’ 
 Hmmm
 Re-checks it and again it was in and locked ! Did the pull test and it all seemed o.k. so I coupled everything up,wound the legs up etc. Checked it out in the yard first,before I went out
 I didn’t trust it somehow. All seemed in order tho’ so off I went.
Never come across these new fangled ‘silent’ couplings before ! :wink: :laughing:

truckerjon:

what i do then, (H&S look away now) is duck under the trailer and visually check that the locking arm has engaged

I do that too
 Flicking a disposable lighter because I’ve forgot to get a battery for the torch!

I once saw the aftermath of a trailer falling off the back of a tractor unit on an industrial estate near to where I live. The scars where the trailer gouged out the tarmac are still there to this day and this was over 20 years ago!

Bob

truckerjon:
(H&S look away now :wink: ) is duck under the trailer and visually check that the locking arm has engaged, every driver who works in hours of darkness should carry a torch, so no problem with time of day etc.

No need for H&S to look away, that is what they advise, provided you are wearing a radiation suit hi viz, hard hat and lace up boots.

As you say coupling and uncoupling are the most important things a driver may do, any silly bugger can aim a truck down the motorway for 10 hours. But having said that, an experienced driver will “feel” when a coupling is secure, they will know it is secure from the sound they make, the gentle tug test is more than enough.

I have seen drivers bang under trailers so bloody fast that all the kit and caboodle falls out of overhead lockers, the trailer chassis twists, it shoves it back a foot even with the trailer brake on, most vehicles now are on air, reverse slowly up the the headboard and when you are close, lower the unit, reverse a little further. I do it until the mudguards are out of site under the trailer, then raise the suspension till the trailer lifts ever so slightly, you can stop at this point and physically check the height, but eventually it will be possible to do so without leaving the cab, gently reverse on to the pin and listen for a definite click.

You can then raise the suspension more to take some pressure off the legs and gently tug forward, there is no need to get the front wheels of the truck in the air while all the kit and caboodle comes out of the overhead lockers again. At this point I stop the engine ensuring the parking brake is on. I climb down, and raise the legs, often nipping under to glance at the jaws. I will connect the ABS, electric and supplementary leads followed by the service and emergency in no particular order and adjust the bungees to keep them from tangling. A short tug forward off the bay or a couple of yards will show if the brakes are “diving” therefore working. I can then wander round with a coffee, check the lights, count the tyres, check the tread and put on a matching number plate. If it is company policy to seal all the trailers I will break the seal just to be non conformist and to see how it is loaded.

Although not wishing to sound blasé I have never lost a trailer or haven’t missed the pin for about 32 years :blush:

How is that for long sentences Robert?

Wheel Nut:
I have seen drivers bang under trailers so bloody fast that all the kit and caboodle falls out of overhead lockers, the trailer chassis twists, it shoves it back a foot even with the trailer brake on, most vehicles now are on air, reverse slowly up the the headboard and when you are close, lower the unit, reverse a little further. I do it until the mudguards are out of site under the trailer, then raise the suspension till the trailer lifts ever so slightly, you can stop at this point and physically check the height, but eventually it will be possible to do so without leaving the cab, gently reverse on to the pin and listen for a definite click.

Good advice, that’s the way I do it and it really shouldn’t make much more noise than a vehicle door closing. I think for some they don’t feel like a rough, tough trucker unless they do it at full speed and with as much noise and violent movement as possible.

I also couple up like Wheel Nut does,though last week I was driving an automatic Merc on the agency for DHL,went up to a place in Crick,dropped the empty trailer I took up there,went to get under the loaded trailer,did so and lifted the suspension to little effect.
Some heavy stuff on ( magnums ) anyway,lifted the trailer slightly and reversed under,it was a struggle and I gave it too much throttle and clobbered the pin :blush:
Having a 4 wheel unit didn’t help,much prefer having a clutch for a good old bit of clutch control,a much smoother couple up,imho.

James Bateman:
I also couple up like Wheel Nut does,though last week I was driving an automatic Merc on the agency for DHL,went up to a place in Crick,dropped the empty trailer I took up there,went to get under the loaded trailer,did so and lifted the suspension to little effect.
Some heavy stuff on ( magnums ) anyway,lifted the trailer slightly and reversed under,it was a struggle and I gave it too much throttle and clobbered the pin :blush:
Having a 4 wheel unit didn’t help,much prefer having a clutch for a good old bit of clutch control,a much smoother couple up,imho.

The six wheel one is no better, for some reason Mercs don’t seem to drop low enough to slide under a loaded trailer smoothly.

The other thing about dropping the suspension to get under the plate, is that you don’t scrape all the grease off as you go under. In my experience this usually end up on the trouser legs.

Santa:
The other thing about dropping the suspension to get under the plate, is that you don’t scrape all the grease off as you go under. In my experience this usually end up on the trouser legs.

I usually end up wearing some.