Trailer counterbalance for Moffet

Do you use a counterbalance on the trailer bulkhead when carrying a Moffet? When I first used a Moffet with a C licence, the other driver refused to drive the vehicle when the Moffet was mounted as he claimed the steering was too light when the box was empty, I found it was OK.
Now after a few years absence and after renewing my licence, I find myself on C+E, with Moffet. I have noticed that the tractor unit (Axor) is very light when the trailer is empty and only the other week nearly lost it on a damp road. I have requested over the phone for counter weights to be added to the bulkhead of the trailer, but was told that it would reduce the amount of goods that I could carry (no ■■■■ Sherlock). Profits over safety, surely not. The Moffet that I now have is fitted with counter weights on the rear, as they are used for concrete barriers making it worse.
I need to request in writing for the removal of the weights from the Moffet and to be placed on the trailer bulkhead. This just in case I do lose it, and then I can say “you were aware of the problem”. Those in the know, any other ideas?

We had some lead weights put in the headboard of our trailers, we also had the front axle lift on the trailer which transfered more weight to the unit drive axle when light loaded. Our moffets were 2.5t and the trailers would snake without the axle lifted when empty.
I found dropping the drive axle tyre pressures to 90psi helped a lot but we rarely ran at top weight.

Trev_H:
We had some lead weights put in the headboard of our trailers, we also had the front axle lift on the trailer which transfered more weight to the unit drive axle when light loaded. Our moffets were 2.5t and the trailers would snake without the axle lifted when empty.
I found dropping the drive axle tyre pressures to 90psi helped a lot but we rarely ran at top weight.

Thanks for info Trev_H

dts:
Do you use a counterbalance on the trailer bulkhead when carrying a Moffet? When I first used a Moffet with a C licence, the other driver refused to drive the vehicle when the Moffet was mounted as he claimed the steering was too light when the box was empty, I found it was OK.
Now after a few years absence and after renewing my licence, I find myself on C+E, with Moffet. I have noticed that the tractor unit (Axor) is very light when the trailer is empty and only the other week nearly lost it on a damp road. I have requested over the phone for counter weights to be added to the bulkhead of the trailer, but was told that it would reduce the amount of goods that I could carry (no [zb] Sherlock). Profits over safety, surely not. The Moffet that I now have is fitted with counter weights on the rear, as they are used for concrete barriers making it worse.
I need to request in writing for the removal of the weights from the Moffet and to be placed on the trailer bulkhead. This just in case I do lose it, and then I can say “you were aware of the problem”. Those in the know, any other ideas?

Well I have to say the Axor is a big part of the problem.

I occasionally drive a bird trailer with a Moffet on the back. Now bird trailers are pretty heavy even when empty, and even without a Moffet the lift axle on an Axor will automatically drop. And worse, won’t manually lift. We don’t have those problems with the Scanias or the Volvo FM’s that the company runs. Most of our trailers do have a front lift axle and that helps, but the new ones don’t and they’re pretty lethal to be honest.

The Axor seems to put too much of it’s weight onto that lift axle when it’s empty. It’s also not a steering axle, all of which means that given even a slightly slippery surface the Axor wants to go straight on, because there’s simply too much weight and tyre friction counteracting the front steering tyres.

It must be worse still with an empty flat of curtainsider.

So yes, write to management outlining your concerns and formally asking them to arrange to make the vehicle perform more safely. I’m surprised Mercedes don’t have a simple fix to relieve some of the lift axle weight, or even a manual override. A bit of frost or snow and you could well end up in a ditch, or jacknifed.

The upside is that now you know the problem, you can drive accordingly, and I’ve driven the last two winters complaining, but not being caught out yet! [/touchwood]

I’ve got a thick sheet of steel bolted to the bulkhead, still have to run with the tag axle down even when empty or it’s wheelie time when the pig starts bouncing!

EastAnglianTrucker:
I’m surprised Mercedes don’t have a simple fix to relieve some of the lift axle weight, or even a manual override.

Have a word with your friendly local independant garage. £80 for a fiddle valve for the lift axle :wink:

EastAnglianTrucker:
I’m surprised Mercedes don’t have a simple fix to relieve some of the lift axle weight, or even a manual override.

They do - but it is as useful as a chocolate teapot. You only have to look at the front of the trailer and the lift axle drops.

hello,i used to have this same problem all the time…the only way to solve this was the trailer having the front axle lift button pushed inn and the axle would lift up,when the trailers are empty and you have a moffett on the back its a ■■■■■ nightmare trying to stop,the amount of times i nearly lost it was crazy…oh i did have a 4X2 iveco pulling the moffett mounted trailer which was quite crap!

dts:
Now after a few years absence and after renewing my licence, I find myself on C+E, with Moffet. I have noticed that the tractor unit (Axor) is very light when the trailer is empty and only the other week nearly lost it on a damp road. I have requested over the phone for counter weights to be added to the bulkhead of the trailer, but was told that it would reduce the amount of goods that I could carry (no [zb] Sherlock). Profits over safety, surely not. The Moffet that I now have is fitted with counter weights on the rear, as they are used for concrete barriers making it worse.

Shame you cant run the forklift up onto the front of the trailer when empty

just leave the flipping thing in a layby… “err, sorry boss. ■■■■■■ must ave pinched it.”

Trukkertone:
just leave the flipping thing in a layby… “err, sorry boss. ■■■■■■ must ave pinched it.”

The Axor? I quite agree :laughing:

Wonder how many drivers have come home without the Moffet on the back ? One of our drivers did, luckily he had another load for the same place the next day to fetch it back :laughing: :laughing:
The ■■■ had come home 100mls with the rear lights folded in and no number plate !

:smiley:
Thanks everyone for your inputs, I will take on board your comments and see what happens. I think the company will do nowt, with the quote “if your not happy, the way out is the opposite to the way in, theirs loads of drivers out there”.
Have a safe Easter. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I used to work for Hardstaffs using moffets. Had a Foden with flat/tautliner and moffet, very dodgy in the wet when empty. Just take your time when empty cause they will catch you out!!

Trev_H:
Wonder how many drivers have come home without the Moffet on the back ? One of our drivers did, luckily he had another load for the same place the next day to fetch it back :laughing: :laughing:
The ■■■ had come home 100mls with the rear lights folded in and no number plate !

I know of one that was on for Brit European doing the carpets.
He did a trailer change at Dartford and realised he hadnt got the Moffet on the back when
he got to his first drop. :laughing: