Trailer/bridge heights

How much clearance do you personally allow yourself. Say your pulling a 14’ 2" trailer would you tackle a 14’ 3" bridge or err on the side of caution an avoid it. Just asking out of curiosity really as there seems to of been quite alot of bridge strikes recently

The sign is for maximum safe height, so the bridge is probably somewhere around 14’ 8"

Have a look at this thread fella

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92640&hilit=warrington+guardian

Cheers for that bud, think in that instance depending on how far of a detour it was i’d of been tempted to go round

tinytrucker77:
How much clearance do you personally allow yourself. Say your pulling a 14’ 2" trailer would you tackle a 14’ 3" bridge or err on the side of caution an avoid it. Just asking out of curiosity really as there seems to of been quite alot of bridge strikes recently

My answer to your question is yes i’ll tackle it no problem.

It needs saying again

triangles warn
circles prohibit

Common sense as with all things, i go through but gently if i’m at the same height as signed, sometimes check out the road for camber too and select the most likely path.

If the height is near my known height i do drop the tag axle if i’m in a vehicle which raises the height significantly when tag is up.

Some of the recent strikes have been nothing but negligence from people who arguably shouldn’t be doing the job at all, stuffing 15’9" trailers through 14’6" bridges at 30+ mph is hardly a slight miscalulation.

Juddian:
Common sense as with all things, i go through but gently if i’m at the same height as signed, sometimes check out the road for camber too and select the most likely path.

If the height is near my known height i do drop the tag axle if i’m in a vehicle which raises the height significantly when tag is up.

Some of the recent strikes have been nothing but negligence from people who arguably shouldn’t be doing the job at all, stuffing 15’9" trailers through 14’6" bridges at 30+ mph is hardly a slight miscalulation.

Agree, they should be doing at least 50mph to stand any chance of getting all the way through.

If I had a 14’ 2 trailer then I would go under a 14’ 2 bridge ! That’s what the max height is for… Like said already just take it easy through it, but I have got out before to look & in every case there’s been a good few inches spare, but I would never tackle a lower bridge in the hope it would fit under even after dumping the air !

I agree there’s no excuse for the glaringly obvious one’s.it’s the one’s like in the above link i was really refering to, it seems unlike the slow an steady approach some drivers are either far too confident or just close thier eyes and hope for the best

Trukkertone:
[quote=“Juddian”

Agree, they should be doing at least 50mph to stand any chance of getting all the way through.
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Hi Tinytrucker what height are your highest trailers , Ive just been next to your yard at Melmerby you dont really have any low ones do you ?
Do they provide you with bridge maps and preffered routes etc ?
Just being nosey ,
Jim

We’ve got a few old box trailers that are 13’ 3" but all the newer tautliners are around the 14’ to 14’3" mark, all the deckers are 15’6". we don’t get routed any specific ways although we do have maps for all the branches, which if you collar one the old hands they’ll highlight the best route in :smiley:

tinytrucker77:
We’ve got a few old box trailers that are 13’ 3" but all the newer tautliners are around the 14’ to 14’3" mark, all the deckers are 15’6". we don’t get routed any specific ways although we do have maps for all the branches, which if you collar one the old hands they’ll highlight the best route in :smiley:

so who bent the trailer at the end of last year ■■ not at melmerby tho, the one i saw was down at Leamington… and, did you know Mariusz when he worked for you before getting tuped over to Canute ■■? he is one crazy Pole… good guy tho’

Don’t have a clue about the trailer, no doubt i’ll of had a memorandum to sign over it do’s an don’ts kind of thing. As for mariusz i can’t recall him but then i’ve only been on with them a year. The only pole i’ve ever met is the flt driver down at leamington that’s built like a brick outhouse

tinytrucker77:
Don’t have a clue about the trailer, no doubt i’ll of had a memorandum to sign over it do’s an don’ts kind of thing. As for mariusz i can’t recall him but then i’ve only been on with them a year. The only pole i’ve ever met is the flt driver down at leamington that’s built like a brick outhouse

theres two of them at Leamington, the younger one is Parvel, the older one is Slav

So is there a safety margin for bridge heights like say there is on safe working loads for example ?
And what about arch bridges ?

hitch:
It needs saying again

triangles warn
circles prohibit

+1

Think a lot of driver’s on here don’t no a bridge can be marked up with either or sign â–² â—‹.