Trailer Brake

I was wondering about this the other day - since passing my C&E I have never seen a driver get out to check the brake BEFORE they reverse under a trailer, or in the case of most sites at all. When I first started (18 months ago) I always got out and checked the height of the 5th wheel and trailer brake - now I check the brake before connecting the air lines … … …

How about everyone else ■■

G

i do cos i work agency stuff and the firm i get most work from insist u do it and its safer cos i have known trailers roll back when backing under them so keep that safety check going.

Before I reverse under it, I’ve seen too many roll back and cause damage including a mate who knocked a floodlight pylon over the rail lines in a Freightliner depot when the trailer got away from him as he went under it. I do it even if it is backed against a bay because all though it isn’t going to roll back you need to know it is on to be able to do the tug test properly, you may pull the whole thing forward rather than just tug on the pin.

Am i being thick here .Shirley the trailer is going nowhere regardless of what the position the trailer brake is without the red connected .The only time it could physically move is if the shunt button has been pressed in .
I normally split couple anyway with the gap between the units and trailer we are running .So i have to get out and put the trailer brake on anyway.

yes mate your being a bit thick here,get shirley to put her foot under the wheel while you hook up

Explain it . Because the brakes lock on once the red is off .

Before I reverse under it.

Firstly, if it goes ‘wrong’ (which it can do) the paperwork is a right PITA!!

Secondly, the embarassment would be too much to bare . . . . . . :blush: :blush:

Shortcuts rarely pay dividends in the long run. :unamused: :unamused:

yes, and also ensure that 2 wheel chocks are under one wheel at least,
have seen too many accidents ,and we have to do this as its laid down by my employers in the Drivers handbook, which is there to cover their rearends
when we make a mistake

paul@midway:

Yes they do, but if the trailer then loses its air the brakes can come back off again meaning it is free to move. Newer trailers are coming with a feature that automatically applies the trailer brake when the red line is pulled. Asda have just taken delivery of some and as you pull the red line, the park brake button pops out and the park brake is applied. If just pulling the red line was enough then that feature would be unnecessary.

The fact a trailer does lose air while parked doesn’t necessarily mean it is defective. On a windy day a trailer with air suspension can lose its air just by being rocked by the wind. The same thing can happen when it is being loaded or it has been moved by just using the shunt button. Assuming the brakes are on because the red line has been pulled is very dangerous.

when at Cov Chem on the Rugby shunt i had to move one of Chats trailers back under and it started to move this was a trailer on air and the shunt button was in or out up to then i hadnt come across a trailer where you you push the shunt button wothout the YELLOW on

Coffeeholic:

paul@midway:

Yes they do, but if the trailer then loses its air the brakes can come back off again meaning it is free to move. Newer trailers are coming with a feature that automatically applies the trailer brake when the red line is pulled. Asda have just taken delivery of some and as you pull the red line, the park brake button pops out and the park brake is applied. If just pulling the red line was enough then that feature would be unnecessary.

Probably a stupid question, but is there some reason why spring brakes haven’t come common earlier in trailers over there? As if trailer has spring brakes in one axle that in practice equals to applying the park brake immediately after pulling air supply off. Obviously spring brakes don’t help when close coupling, but in many cases they’re sufficient to keep trailer from moving. If not, next step isn’t to apply the park brake but put wheel chocks under some tyre :wink:

Disclaimer: I understand trailer parking brake as a manually operated device which pulls brake shoes onto surface of brake drums/discs on one axle. If it’s not, you can most likely ignore text above and correct my erroneous impression.

Yes they do, but if the trailer then loses its air the brakes can come back off again meaning it is free to move.

I have never come across that - anything I have picked up either driving OR shunting has never been able to move without the red connected (never used a shunt valve though). Surely that would be a defect ■■

Incidentally, everywhere I have worked OTHER than Tesco - trailer brakes seem not to be used at all, despite H & S Risk Assessments to the contrary.

G

Gazzareth:

Yes they do, but if the trailer then loses its air the brakes can come back off again meaning it is free to move.

I have never come across that - anything I have picked up either driving OR shunting has never been able to move without the red connected (never used a shunt valve though). Surely that would be a defect ■■

Incidentally, everywhere I have worked OTHER than Tesco - trailer brakes seem not to be used at all, despite H & S Risk Assessments to the contrary.

G

When I went in to Asda in Grangemouth, I had to sign a form about the way they wanted to couple & uncouple trailers. When I dropped the first trailer and applied the trailer brake the shunter told me to leave it off. I said I had been told to do it that way and the form I had signed.
He said, “Don’t be bothered with that”.

At Tesco we always used the trailer brakes.

Gazzareth:

Surely that would be a defect ■■

No, it wouldn’t if trailer has only normal service brakes on every axle. With spring brake equipped trailer that surely would be a defect.

paul@midway:
Am i being thick here .Shirley the trailer is going nowhere regardless of what the position the trailer brake is without the red connected .The only time it could physically move is if the shunt button has been pressed in .
I normally split couple anyway with the gap between the units and trailer we are running .So i have to get out and put the trailer brake on anyway.

what about the old ratchet style brakes,theres still plenty about and they do roll if its not applied, i watched one do it on monday ,lucky for the driver it rolled a couple of feet.

gezt:

paul@midway:

what about the old ratchet style brakes,theres still plenty about and they do roll if its not applied, i watched one do it on monday ,lucky for the driver it rolled a couple of feet.

I nearly sent one of them types over the edge of a quay !!

Funny you should say that Mike,

A couple of years ago down at Ramsgate Docks waiting for the ferry, avery posh and new looking FH12 came in tore around the trailer park. Found his trailer pulled forward and slammed his anchors on, then reversed at full pelt under the trailer pushing it over the dock wall. :open_mouth: :astonished:

Well we did have a laugh at this muppet, he was a newish driver first time out in a new unit showing off!! :astonished:

I always check the trailer brake and have a quick butchers at the 5th wheel height. Nothing more embarrasing than running under missing the Pin and having to arse around with scoffold poles to hold the 5th wheel down etc.

I never actually check the brake I raise the suspension, back under, do the dog clip, do the susies, wind the legs up and then let the brake off, I dont think ive EVER checked to see if its on before i pick it up that would mean getting out the cab too much.

Ive also never had an accident that could be blamed on this method.

To be sympathetic to the trailer legs and the arse end of the unit you should drop your suspension all the way down and then run under the trailer enough so that it sits on the run up bars , then raise the suspension all the way lifting the legs off the ground and then backing onto the pin .Voila arse end of unit doesn’t get smashed , fifth wheel doesnt hit front of trailer or slip under the pin and the legs don’t get bent .

And to be honest with our trailers parked on level ground and nion 29t on the back it’s very doubtful they are going to move anywhere , i could be wrong . It would be the third time on here in 12 hours :laughing: