Traffic managment IPV driver

Dose anybody know how I can make a start in this field of work driving IPV? Any info would be a great help I inderstand as a min I need my lantra 12 a/b ticket. Thanks

Hi try SkyBlue Solutions, they are an agency for this type of work. They should be able to help.

Hi MadTrucker2012,

Cool name, but are you sure we should have you as a live lane closer :wink:

I’ve looked into this, but I am not sure that I want to follow through with it, as getting the card seemed a lot harder than doing a one day assessment, it involved log books and approved training with an employer. Like any will take you on to learn the job straight away, they just want the qualified and experienced.

I imagine it’s exaclty the same as when I got my CSCS card back in the mid 2000’s (had to do a NVQ) and similar to CPCS for plant operatives to get their blue cards etc.

You are right about the Lantra 12A/B ticket.

There was a list of trainers on that site who should be able to advise you. Just be wary of usual trainer bull zb trying to take your money from you, without telling you what is actually required to get the qualification and more importantly the money its actually going to cost you.

http://www.lantra-awards.co.uk/Products/Impact-Protection-Vehicle-Driver-Training.aspx?search=true

Seemed very good pay in Essex when I saw agency work for it £14-16 p/h. Just a shame it is night work and you have to accept vehicles are going to use you as a fairground bumper car ride at any time. Not sure whether that increases the life assurance and private health care costs :laughing:

PM me and let me know how you get on as I’d be interested in doing it, if there’s a way around “the qualified card rate”, knowing the construction industry and how long I’ve been in it, I very much doubt there will be another way, there will be just the bureaucracy that everyone has to pass through to get the card and keep others employed.

Shame as I am just not interested in joining the H/A or Atkins to start as a crash barrier repair operative and take a couple of years to work my way up.

Also it might be better to post this on the “normal” forum. As I only got one response on this part of the forum when I looked into doing my Moffett training, but got 44 replies on the normal forum and some where very detailed and educational, to help me find my Moffett trainer, from guys who are actually doing the job day in day out!

C

Constantine:
Also it might be better to post this on the “normal” forum. As I only got one response on this part of the forum when I looked into doing my Moffett training, but got 44 replies on the normal forum and some where very detailed and educational, to help me find my Moffett trainer, from guys who are actually doing the job day in day out!

C

Hi Constantine,

Agreed, so I’ve moved this topic in the hope that it will be viewed and commented upon by those in the know. :wink:

Thanks DieselDave,

Glad someone could give MadTrucker2012, the helping hand they need.

Good to see someone is taking care of us! :smiley:

Thanks again, hopefully some of what I found out will be confirmed by those doing it for “real” and confirmed or denied!

Hope you are keeping well.

C

Hi iam a ipv driver and as said its very very in depth training required.you wont be able to put yourself through it and walk into a job bud as they onlylet knowen guys with exp do it.best thing to do is apply to amey,bear etc ,who ever does the motorway contract your way as a worker and let them put you forward for it in time.i think my training and ticket worked out to roughly 2.5k but i didnt pay anything

Hey nearly there,

Thought that was the case when I looked into that last year! Standard practice for construction/facilities management/road maintenance then as I looked into it deeper. They’ve got our industry slightly sewn up to stop anyone coming in and doing it straight away still then.

That’s why it pays so much obviously as the qualification is so hard and difficult to get and rightfully so! As no-one available to do the work who is experienced as they are already doing it/on sick leave/injured/holiday!

Like i also thought, the route would be experienced entry only, working your way through the ranks and being juggled every time the new contractor takes you on TUPE!

Not for me then, done my limited time on highways as a site engineer, working on the side of the road doing that job was easier than the “actual workers” who was replacing the barrier/gullies/road studs etc. Not enough money in it for me to go back and play that high risk game with the UK’s driving standards as they currently now.

Stay safe out there, nearly there, and thanks for confirming what I first thought.

Hopefully MadTrucker2012 will have more enthusiasm for it than me and go down the worker route etc.

C

No probs.its to fickle a job with the tuped over starts.its a lot on your shoulders as the ipv driver your liable for any incidents during the closure

I didn’t even appreciate the fact you’d be responsible for incidents on closures, I thought that would have been the supervisor.

I always used to take it more in the neck than the lad’s on site when we messed up or had an incident, as I was the most senior on site underneath the foreman but always on 1-3 sites, whereas the foreman would have been spread more thinly again.

Makes sense then as to why they are paying £14-16 on agency if you are taking that responsibility. Good money for recognising that responsibilty, just not the role for me even with all that money.

Can I ask a question, do you do more than just the rolling road blocks etc, as in stuff on site, helping out the lads fix barriers or is it purely confined to the lorry protecting the workforce for the whole shift?

Just asking as being confined to the cab would be worse for me personally rather than doing other tasks, so that would definitely sway me away from this forever!

C

We have always worked with the guys,including coning vehicle driver and ops.basically do the closure,then work on the job,this may include delittering if the job being done is special ie white lining,anti skid, lights etc.then when the work area is clear bring the closure back in.iam not on ipv all the time,sometimes work on or drive coning truck.theres the gritting aswell which is very busy.its a job with a lot of hours that can be done if wanted.the job is basically nightshift as traffic counts dictate if a job is done, except in a emergencey.

Nearly there,

Thanks for informing me of that. I’ll bear all that in mind though, sounds better now you are participating in site work, rather than just trying not to fall asleep on a night shift :laughing:

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

C

No probs,good luck

Thanks guys for your help when I posted this I didn’t think I’d get a reply but thanks again for the advice.

Hope you get some luck finding a way in bud, i hope its not too much hard work and worth it in the end.

Let us know how well you get on bud.

C