Trade Plating

Hi Guys!

What are the pros & cons of Trade Plating? Hitch hiking etc…
Does anyone pick up Trade Platers or would you end up standing at the side of the road all day feeling like a muppet?
Has anyone actually done this type of work & can shed some light…
Supposed to be going for interview on Tues but would like some views first…

Cheers! :unamused:
TP

if you look back a few pages on this forum you`ll find a post by cbr si on uniloads mate. there one of the larger firms plating. cheers-jon

Cheers Jonboy! Found it…informative…

TP

hi Tom -

the pro and con is that it is the kind of work that you will either love or hate. If you have a calm temperament and dont mind being away from home mon-fri then you’ll probably like it. If you have common sense and can read a map that helps too :wink:

My situation is that I’m single and live at home so spending all week away is a bit of an adventure and I dont have a missus to keep happy :smiley: There are some ex-squaddies with us, one of which I spoke to last week who likes it because he looks after himself in the week but gets to go home properly at weekends. He even likes to ‘tab’ (I think he meant walk) 4 miles instead of getting a bus :open_mouth:

I dont really know how good the money is yet because I’m only a couple of weeks into it and haven’t done a full week yet (due to the week being fri-thurs), but it seems alright. Still, the training week money (4 days) was still more than I used to get in an office so musn’t grumble.

The hitch-hiking is fine so far, I’ve waited between 30 seconds and 45 minutes for a ride. Sometimes you’ll be unlucky and need 3 or 4 rides to get within striking distance, sometimes you’ll drop ■■■■-on and your ‘driver’ will go out of their way to drive you to the gates of where you are going. Get a blank car number plate (£5) and a whiteboard pen to write on in big letters - invaluable. It does cheese you off when people just wave and toot and dont stop, but a thick-skin does develop.

The biggest hint I’d give another new starter is, always ask whoever takes a vehicle off your hands for a lift to somewhere you’ll get a lift onwards from. Obvious I know, but the first week I didn’t really think about it and walked un-necessary miles to reach roundabouts; today I got to Hull and asked for a lift to the Humber Bridge and it turned out someone was going to Scunthorpe so I got a lift to within a 20 minute walk from home. (A rare night at home tonight as dropped in Hull, collecting in Grimsby in the morning. If this was the case elsewhere in the country the firm would pay for a nights B&B). Most places make you feel like you’ve done them a favour, and try to help you out.
Also, see what your hitching money is compared to the train/bus fare. For example, today I started in Sheffield so spend £9 on a train when the hitching wage was £7, so it cost me £2 to get there early doors and get a good start to the day; of course I could have hitch-hiked it so you are your own boss to an extent.

Sleeping out all week is less tiring than working from home. There is no commuting, and you’re at work when you wake up. One of the dilemmas is when you can choose £21 night out cash to sleep in that 7.5 tonner or bin wagon over seats or take a b&b; I like money so sleep in the vehicle even though its sometimes not too comfy.

There isn’t any hard work involved, no roping and sheeting or whatever; but I do miss doing C+E work as 99.99% of the stuff is C, C1 or even B. To be honest, I dont feel like I work for a living, rather pack the (provided) rucksack and leave home Monday and get back Friday. If you are comfortable with a p.c. then the XDA (handheld pda (?)) is handy and easy to use to get your jobs from.
There is inevitable paperwork, as you have to inspect the vehicle before you take it (oil/water/damages); but nothing too bad.

Apparantly the average time anyone spends in trade-plating is 5 weeks before they either get so peed off they leave or stop for a long time; I’ve bumped into 3 blokes over the last week or so who have been with Uniloads for 2+ years.

On the down side the holiday leave is rubbish, just 20 days inc. mandatories (english hols to the chagrin of the scots lads).

Thanks for that CBI.
Looks like I might be joining ya at Euroloads
Been down to Warrington today for interview & been accepted, all they have to do is check out my references which I know WON’T be a problem.
I am thinking it over but what you have said has been very informative & helpful mate. Ta!
Wouldn’t be able to start for a couple of weeks anyway as I’m off to Barcelona next week for 10 days or so. I told Euroloads this and they were fine about it.
Bit of a dilemma for me this week aswell… I’ve also got a PSV & have been offered a job today by quite a prestigious Lancs Coach company for the summer. Job looks good & I do like summer touring so have to have a bit of a head scratching session this week I think.
Also offered another 3 jobs this week… one was HGV1 Tippers-coal & ash. Bit of a dirty job I reckon but tractor was fairly new and shiny.
Other one was as relief driver/2nd man for Logistics Co. 3rd was Class 2 multi drop with promise of class 1 when they were happy with what I was doing for them.
Also, 2 others got my name on file and if needed…blah blah blah…
So, all in all, a pretty good result this week & it’s only tues!

Anyway, I’ll let ya know what the outcome is & may see you at Euroloads in a couple of weeks or so, but then again…dilemma!
Thanks for the input CBI & good luck with the hitching!

CBR_SI:
hi Tom -

the pro and con is that it is the kind of work that you will either love or hate. If you have a calm temperament and dont mind being away from home mon-fri then you’ll probably like it. If you have common sense and can read a map that helps too :wink:

My situation is that I’m single and live at home so spending all week away is a bit of an adventure and I dont have a missus to keep happy :smiley: There are some ex-squaddies with us, one of which I spoke to last week who likes it because he looks after himself in the week but gets to go home properly at weekends. He even likes to ‘tab’ (I think he meant walk) 4 miles instead of getting a bus :open_mouth:

I dont really know how good the money is yet because I’m only a couple of weeks into it and haven’t done a full week yet (due to the week being fri-thurs), but it seems alright. Still, the training week money (4 days) was still more than I used to get in an office so musn’t grumble.

The hitch-hiking is fine so far, I’ve waited between 30 seconds and 45 minutes for a ride. Sometimes you’ll be unlucky and need 3 or 4 rides to get within striking distance, sometimes you’ll drop ■■■■-on and your ‘driver’ will go out of their way to drive you to the gates of where you are going. Get a blank car number plate (£5) and a whiteboard pen to write on in big letters - invaluable. It does cheese you off when people just wave and toot and dont stop, but a thick-skin does develop.

The biggest hint I’d give another new starter is, always ask whoever takes a vehicle off your hands for a lift to somewhere you’ll get a lift onwards from. Obvious I know, but the first week I didn’t really think about it and walked un-necessary miles to reach roundabouts; today I got to Hull and asked for a lift to the Humber Bridge and it turned out someone was going to Scunthorpe so I got a lift to within a 20 minute walk from home. (A rare night at home tonight as dropped in Hull, collecting in Grimsby in the morning. If this was the case elsewhere in the country the firm would pay for a nights B&B). Most places make you feel like you’ve done them a favour, and try to help you out.
Also, see what your hitching money is compared to the train/bus fare. For example, today I started in Sheffield so spend £9 on a train when the hitching wage was £7, so it cost me £2 to get there early doors and get a good start to the day; of course I could have hitch-hiked it so you are your own boss to an extent.

Sleeping out all week is less tiring than working from home. There is no commuting, and you’re at work when you wake up. One of the dilemmas is when you can choose £21 night out cash to sleep in that 7.5 tonner or bin wagon over seats or take a b&b; I like money so sleep in the vehicle even though its sometimes not too comfy.

There isn’t any hard work involved, no roping and sheeting or whatever; but I do miss doing C+E work as 99.99% of the stuff is C, C1 or even B. To be honest, I dont feel like I work for a living, rather pack the (provided) rucksack and leave home Monday and get back Friday. If you are comfortable with a p.c. then the XDA (handheld pda (?)) is handy and easy to use to get your jobs from.
There is inevitable paperwork, as you have to inspect the vehicle before you take it (oil/water/damages); but nothing too bad.

Apparantly the average time anyone spends in trade-plating is 5 weeks before they either get so peed off they leave or stop for a long time; I’ve bumped into 3 blokes over the last week or so who have been with Uniloads for 2+ years.

On the down side the holiday leave is rubbish, just 20 days inc. mandatories (english hols to the chagrin of the scots lads).

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You guys must be mad :exclamation:

I’d want at least £10,000 take home per week for doing that. I would simply hate it as much as I hated delivering and installing fruit/pinball machines/video cabinets because they’re so [zb] heavy :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Good luck with the new job CBR_SI anyway. I’ll give you a lift if you don’t look dodgy, am going in your wanted direction and you’re holding ya trade plates so there’s less chance of you being a scrote.

Rob K:
[quote

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You guys must be mad :exclamation:

I’d want at least £10,000 take home per week for doing that. I would simply hate it as much as I hated delivering and installing fruit/pinball machines/video cabinets because they’re so [zb]
heavy :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Good luck with the new job CBR_SI anyway. I’ll give you a lift if you don’t look dodgy, am going in your wanted direction and you’re holding ya trade plates so there’s less chance of you being a scrote.

i agree.lmao