Trade plating and Tachos

whats the rules regarding using a tacho while using trade plates.
I had a Job yesturday picking up tractors units up at morrisons welland, and taking em to sheffield, and several of the other drivers where adament that using a tacho wasnt reqd, (because 1 of the drivers decided that it wasnt needed) so 4 of em didnt
However I said I was putting a card in and working acording to the drivers hours, inc stopping on the way back to take a final 15, having taken a 30 while we where waiting at welland for the units, after the 4hr+ drive from sheffield in a people carrier, (as a passenger)

peirre:
whats the rules regarding using a tacho while using trade plates.
I had a Job yesturday picking up tractors units up at morrisons welland, and taking em to sheffield, and several of the other drivers where adament that using a tacho wasnt reqd, (because 1 of the drivers decided that it wasnt needed) so 4 of em didnt
However I said I was putting a card in and working acording to the drivers hours, inc stopping on the way back to take a final 15, having taken a 30 while we where waiting at welland for the units, after the 4hr+ drive from sheffield in a people carrier, (as a passenger)

I would have done as you need, as the trucks you were driving were the goods you were delivering, plus I presume you were being paid.
even if my logic is wrong it is no harm to stick one in and cover you arse!

you may not need them legally but its a record of your work and in the event of an accident it may work in your favour

I have done the trade plate job and i was told use the tacho stick to the law like you did and the only time I didnt need one was either

1. New truck not one fitted yet
  2. New truck no number plates on it (sounds daft but it happens)
  3. If it was going from garage (eg Scania) to another garage
    hope this helps

The exemption is; new or rebuilt vehicle not yet put into service. So, should the vehicle have been unregistered, you could quite legally put the trade plates on and take it from collection point to delivery point, without using the tacho. However, this exemption does not cover moving a registered vehicle from one location to another eg Morrisons’ yard to the lease company yard.

Another exemption; test or trial. This would cover the road test of a vehicle to either diagnose a fault or check that the fault had been successfully repaired. This exemption does not cover taking vehicles going to, or returning from MOT. Nor would it cover moving vehicles between garages or collecting a vehicle from the customer, taking it for service and returning it afterwards.

You did right by using a chart and applying the EC drivers hours rules. :smiley:

the other query I have is, what is the minimum class of driving licence req`d to move tractor units. As I had some doubts if some of the drivers where suitably qualified, and these where not newbes either
especially as I had to spend several minutes showing some of the drivers the basics of opperating the trucks (4/4 range change, scanias autobox, cruise control etc) never mind asking em to do a oil/fuel check, and walk round to check for faults before setting off
they seemed more interested in how soon they could get home to sort other business out

and theres talk of another run to bring 5 more trucks back next week with the same team :open_mouth:

peirre:
the other query I have is, what is the minimum class of driving licence req`d to move tractor units.

A solo tractor unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle so a Class C licence. Oh, and no the 5th wheel doesn’t have to be removed, that myth usually rears its head when this question is asked. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

peirre:
the other query I have is, what is the minimum class of driving licence req`d to move tractor units.

A solo tractor unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle so a Class C licence. Oh, and no the 5th wheel doesn’t have to be removed, that myth usually rears its head when this question is asked. :wink: :smiley:

But if you put a padlock on the 5th wheel Neil you can drive an artic unit on a class 3 licence :stuck_out_tongue:

This advice is to be forgotten as a class 1 and 3 do not exist anymore :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
But if you put a padlock on the 5th wheel Neil you can drive an artic unit on a class 3 licence :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t heard that one for a while. :wink: :smiley: Some of these myths are like old friends, it’s good to see them now and again. :smiley: :smiley: