Trade Plate Jobs - contacts?

A few weeks ago, I gave a lift to a bloke to Immingham and he was telling me about his job; and it sounds brilliant - basically driving new trucks to places then hitchhiking or gettin the train back and being paid per mile and some kind of bonus.

I would love to do that job, but as I did’nt ask him who/where he works for I’m stuck!

Does anybody here know who I should call?

Thanks

Si

or has anyone here done it and can tell me anything about it?

Trade plate?
I know they advertize quite a bit(not a great sign) and I also know the Trade plate is regestered to you, and you have to pay for it yourself!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Most transport companies now have a policy of not picking up hitchers! :confused:
I personaly have seen and picked up traders who have told me that they have waited by the road for hours and hours waiting for a lift! :frowning:

I am sure its a interesting life but its not for me! or most people I would guess!

Its OK if you have a bed in every port so I am told! :open_mouth: :wink: :smiley:

Its OK if you have a bed in every port so I am told! :open_mouth: :wink: :smiley:
[/quote]

:laughing: …ahh the good old days ahahahahahahahah

I have never worked for any of the big operators, but I have done plenty of Trade plate work.
Some of it pays zb wages, its not all new trucks & on a rainy cold day in March its not the best job in the world.
But it does have its good points, I have driven brand new one off vehicles such as heavy haulers & a bus converted into an Ambulance, I have driven armoured vehicles, luxury cars, vans, classic vehicles & heaps of zb & it for me is a great job.
You can earn very good money, but do remember its getting harder to get lifts, you will probably need to be self employed & untill they trust you its not going to be you getting the best drives.
Look in the yellow pages for local companys or Uni loads have a web site.
Good luck & one tip tell them you don’t mind cars & vans as it increses the workload & thus earnings.

the telephone number you want is 0845 3000335 ask for recruitment good luck

at the site I work at we used uniloads to bring in the new fleet, and take out the old trucks that where going off lease, it seems that they either work in teams of 4 - 5 blokes who,either arrive in a car/van if theyre picking up, or have a car van waiting at the gate house for them to drive to their next job, (the car is either collected or dropped off by the car rental Co),or they have indeviduals doing the odd solo job, who hitch etc from job to job, ALL of em have a company mobile / PDA so they can keep in touch with the home office. but judging by the comversations I had with several of em, youll either like the job,and stick with it, or take an instant dislike to it and get out quick. it does involve several nights out too.

thanks everyone :slight_smile: I filled in the uniloads online form, tanks metal, and will give them a call tomorrow - thanks funnyfut :slight_smile:

what is about trucking that makes it get into your blood?

When I was driving a car transporter we had about 50 blokes working for us on plates. It was a sacking offence if we picked any of our own blokes up. Its difficult to drive past someone you know, especially when you will be stood in a queue with them in a morning. Merc at wakefield used to employ platers and so did Volvo at Immingham.

Not so nice in the rain or snow either

as funny fut said the number is 0845 3000 335
the company is uniloads based in warrington but you work from home,they supply you with the plates,fuel card,uniform,electronic comunication eqp with phone and email facility and 24hr back up.
i was going to try it but didn`t fancy standing for hours trying to hitch a lift! good luck :slight_smile:

and 'lo they called me ! I filled in the form online last night, and WAS going to call them at about lunch time today; but they rang me at about 10am. A short phone interview followed, and the upshot is that I’m starting induction on the 22nd. From what I’ve been told, Uniloads seem to be a well run mob so hopefully the proof of the rudding will be good too. Should earn more money as well.

Watch this space…

thanks again

Si