Trade Plate Driving.. Should I

Just spotted a job going for Trade plate drivers wanted in Middlesborough, (AVML).

I was wondering what’s it like?? (Hours etc) and if anyone here has/is doing it?? :question:

It looks like you’ll be self employed but does that matter??

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated thanks…

its one of those jobs you either like it or hate it, i have done it hitched all over this land, trains,buses you name it walked for miles to next collection point, basically we used to get paid for time spent driving, and a small ammount for the miles covered to collection this never covered the cost of trains there far too expensive, so hitch hiking is the name of the game, you have to think on your feet cos evry situation is different, it was good money but compared with the hassle it never matched ive been left in many towns late at night trying to find a place to kip,there are loads of pros and cons, if you ask me questions about what your concerned with i will try answer, saves me writing war and peace

It’s on the jobcentre website, (EST/17524)

All it says is ‘40 hours/wk, 5 days out of 7, 5am starts 7pm finishes’, so really I don’t know what to ask…

Except, I live just north of Newcastle, but job is at Teesport! Is that too far to travel to work these days??

That was going to be another question I was going to post on this forum.

When would you call It’s too far to travel for a job■■?

Depends if you are hitching too or from work!!! Could save on the ol travel expenses!

Trade plate jobs have been discussed on here before and most have the opinion - do not touch with a bargepole !!

There was one member on here who worked out that from starting a shift to ending it the pay worked out to about half the minimum wage :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
This was because he only got paid when driving - travelling to the next pick up etc was not on pay.

Be careful and research well before you commit

I started on with uniloads years ago and lasted 3 days. Everything was not too bad up until the point where they asked me to pay for the uniform they wanted me to wear. Told them I didn’t want to wear uniform they said I had to so I said well you pay then they said no you pay so I said shove it up your arse.

daleyboy:
I started on with uniloads years ago and lasted 3 days. Everything was not too bad up until the point where they asked me to pay for the uniform they wanted me to wear. Told them I didn’t want to wear uniform they said I had to so I said well you pay then they said no you pay so I said shove it up your arse.

lmao :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i worked for them out of warrington, gettin left in london on a friday night which did it for me

I have been on the plates since I"retired" at 65,I was over 40 years on the road mainly on International work, Its not everybodys cup of tea,
and the hours are long, and run into a grey area regarding drivers hours.
No one can tell me when my day starts and finishes. Sometimes I can be 18 hours from leaving home to returning home and only earn about £70 for the day. most of this is standing on Mway slip roads trying to get a lift.with about 6 hours driving involved.
you have to put up with verbal abuse And sometimes physical abuse.
The firm I work for will quite often put an hire car on but this may mean getting up for work perhaps up to 4 hours before you need to in order to get a lift to your pick up point.
the plus side is you get to drive every type of vehicle there is, which could be good experience for new drivers, and you dont have jobswoths telling you your to0 late or early for your drop.

Goldfinger:
Just spotted a job going for Trade plate drivers wanted in Middlesborough, (AVML).

I was wondering what’s it like?? (Hours etc) and if anyone here has/is doing it?? :question:

It looks like you’ll be self employed but does that matter??

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated thanks…

Remember all that rain and snow we’ve had…?