Tractor-Unit Weight Question

'm having a problem with a new neighbour of mine who has decided to introduce his International/Eagle with a Sleeper-Cab to our quiet street.

Actually you’re in his country taking a job away from an American.
If you find it so upsetting why not go back to England.

You people are nothing but whiners and boring one’s at that.

Hi All,

I’m having a problem with a new neighbour of mine who has decided to introduce his International/Eagle with a Sleeper-Cab to our quiet street.

There is a 5-ton weight limit on our streets, and this guy is beginning to annoy me something ruthless (family viewing version). How much overweight is one of these “Bob-Tail” units?

I hasten to add, that he starts it up and lets it idle for 30 mins before crunching every gear as he pulls away.

Any help would be appreciated…in tonnes.

Cheers!

Jim.

Hi Jim,

A Tractor weighs roughly 18,000 lbs, or around 9 tons.

I have been parking all the trucks I have driven on my quite street for the past 11 years, I even bring trailers home too, I live in a cul-de-sac but I have got it down to a fine art of turning a 53 footer around at the top of the street! :open_mouth: .
I also idle my truck for several hours at a time outside my house. the trick of not upsetting the neighbours is, I don’t head out after midinight, I don’t fire it up after 9.00pm (which is why it idles), I fire it up before and let it idle until I am ready to leave, It is better to fire it up with all the extra noise that goes with it :open_mouth: , before the neighbours go to bed, instead of doing it when they have already gone to bed, it is then idling ‘gently’ :wink: . I always turn it around so I am facing ‘out’ when I first arrive home, that way, when I do head out it will only disturb half the neighbourhood as opposed to the whole neighbourhood!, I use as higher gear as possible to avoid revving when going through the gears.
I don’t get any grief from the neighbours over this, most have moved there after us, so they knew there was a trucker in the street before they moved in. Another bloke started bringing his truck home too, but he was thoughtless about it, and really jarred everyone off, he would ‘race’ through at all hours of the night, crunching gears, and even using his ‘jake brake’!!! :open_mouth: , I thought he was gonna spoil it for me too :imp: , I had a ‘word’ with him, but it was’nt long after he got fired from that job anyway :smiley: .
Try having a word with the bloke, he may work for one of those companies that require a driver to keep his truck with him at all times, his yard may be miles away, which would give him some real hardship if he could’nt bring his unit home, alot of companies have this policy over here Jim, it ain’t like ‘back home’. If I could’nt park at home It would be a real hardship for me.
Unfortuanately,as with your ‘neighbourhood driver’ he probably has the typical American attitude, (and this is one of the many things I dislike about American mentality), the ’ ■■■■ everyone else 'I ‘m going to do what I want to do’ attitude, with no thought for how their actions affect other people.

YEP ! That about sums up the attitude here and my wife ain’t any different.

I try not to bring my tractor home during winter because of the noise problem with my locals but she has the attitude “Zb them, it’s our house and land and they should get double glazing if they don’t wanna be woken up”
I will not sisturb others for my convenience.

Unlike the ■■■■■■■ next door who thinks nothing of starting his damm snowmobile in the middle of the night.

Sorry mate, I had to change those two letters and two stars to a ZB (thats a Zed Bee and not a Zee Bee, by the way! :laughing: )…Cliff

Not many Snowmobiles down here Pat, but the ‘erberts next door have got two acres and have turned it into dirt bike trails, I would’nt mind but they do it all day and all chuffin’ night. then they ride up and down the street at full tilt revving the hell out of 'em :imp:

My wife is the same, she will get into the car in a full parking lot, knowing that someone has ‘clocked’ her intentions and is then sitting patiently waiting for her to back out, so what does she do?, backs out about a foot, then sits there going through her handbag, adjusting her makeup, checking her shopping,. I say “come on, we can do all that in a minute”, “there are people waiting to pull in here”, she’ll retort “to hell with them, I’ll go when I’m good and ready!”, then I’ll get something along the lines of “you English are too ■■■■ polite and courteous, you’re in America now!”, :unamused: …■■■■!, she jars me off sometimes! :imp:

I’ve encountered some Americans over here and always found them NICE people,however I think I have a solution to alll our problems,LET’S SWAP!We could just do it on a jobs/houses basis or go the WHOLE HOG!What about it Cliff,give it 12 months and we’ll swap back if necessary(if your woman wants to come back!) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, some Americans are nice unfortuately many are not!, as for the deal you are offering, you need to be an O/O to swap jobs with me, and you get to keep my wife! :open_mouth: :smiley: :laughing:

In Fact I am trying to get an American girl I know on here now, she is very nice and used to be a driver, I met her while she was working at the railyard just outside Atlanta.

I know she enjoys going onto our old site reading the threads, and I know she enjoys coming onto this site too, trouble is, I don’t see her anymore cuz she moved back up North, but last time I spoke to her (we talk on the net) she said she was thinking of joining ‘our’ site, but was worried we would be mean to her cuz she is a Yank (whoops, sorry…I mean American! :laughing: ), I promised we would’nt (AND WE WON’T!, WILL WE?) we are only mean to Americans we don’t like…RIGHT?

Come on down Ls, I know you will be reading this sometime soon, so hurry up and ‘join us’? if you don’t, then next time I mention you, I will spell your name out properly! :open_mouth:

Cliff Warby:
Hi Jim,

Try having a word with the bloke, he may work for one of those companies that require a driver to keep his truck with him at all times, his yard may be miles away, which would give him some real hardship if he could’nt bring his unit home, alot of companies have this policy over here Jim, it ain’t like ‘back home’. If I could’nt park at home It would be a real hardship for me.

Cliff,

There is another twist to the story, here. By the way, his yard is 20 miles away.

He also has a very vicious Rottweiller which almost attacked me twice last week, when I was leaving for work at 2am. The daft git let it out by itself, on two nights, with total disregard for our leash laws. It took a run and jump at me and I had to make a hasty retreat to my house in order to prevent me from being bitten. I had to call the cops out, in order for me to get to my truck (Chevvy S-10). At that time, I didn’t know who the dog belonged to. He is now on a final warning. One more incident with the dog, and it’s history, unfortunately.

I now find myself armed with pepper-spray and a baseball bat in order to get to and from my truck. It’s the local kids I’m more worried about.

As for talking to the guy, I don’t think that I would have much success. The whole situation reminds me of something that you would see on “COPS.”

Thanks for the info and advice. I’ll keep you posted of any developments.

Cheers!

Jim.

That does’nt sound like a good scenerio Jim, Sounds like he is a real Moron, what can I say but…good luck!

As for the leash laws over here, I don’t know why they even bother having them, it seems no-one abides by them, I bet you (like me) have seen more dead dogs in the road during your first month here than you did your entire life back in the UK?

ROTTWIELER ■■? I hate those old eastern block cars.

You luck [zb] off to UK for christmas, my missus won’t go at this time of year because she say’s “THE ENGLISH DON’T KNOW HOW TO CELEBRATE IT” … right! one [zb] day off, no boxing day and no 10 day booze up. No Christmas pullovers and socks in the pub on Christmas day and we don’t know how to celebrate it.

Have a great time mate. :wink:

language edit mrs mix